Ontario moose hunting

firebird

So north of Thunder Bay they've been cutting license and we used to get a bill or cow with 2 pool 1s. Now it was 7 for a bull and 3 for a cow this year. And we got a cow license, my uncle did but with work he can't go and a couple years ago he transferred his tag cause of work aswell. So no moose hunting in Ontario this year for us.

Last year we also got a cow license and we only seen bulls so we went to Quebec in November, out by Rimouski and I shot a young bull on the third day hunting. My Grandfather saw 2 moose, My Dad seen 1, I saw 2 and shot the second. That part of Quebec has 3 moose/km2.

So this year we are going to Newfoundland area 11. The Anguilla mountains. My wife has an uncle in New Brunswick with an outfitting business and he goes to NL almost every year so we are going to the outfitter he knows. Mountain Top Outfitters. Been in business 43 years, his references talked well of him and if you look at the Facebook page looks like they got a pile of moose, some decent bulls too. He's it some videos on YouTube aswell.

Ontario is so messed up I don't know why I even bother hunting here. Ive got 20 deer on the home farm every night and I drive ten minutes to my dads and on the way if you look in the right spots you can count over 30 at 3pm in the afternoon. But no additional licenses again.

I should add that we barely buy any meat at the store. If it is it's sometimes some chicken or pork chops. We depend on moose, deer, and fish. Not cause I can't afford it but because that's our lifestyle for health reasons and tradition. In a province like ours we should be able to hunt for our food not just sport and the way it's going the governments not making it possible. With no moose this year I would replace it with deer. But my deer license and my wife's is not going to replace the meat from a moose. I'm glad we are fortunate enough to be able to travel and shoot game.

I've wondered how moose tags work. If you buy a deer licence and apply for a doe tag, you're automatically guaranteed a buck tag at least. But how does that work for moose? Surely buying a licence you're not guaranteed moose tags, so is there a chance you buy a licence for nothing and just waste that money?

You buy a calf license in most areas (all but a few) and apply for an adult license. Your best odds for a adult tag is to apply as a group with members in "pool 1". They are supposed to have tags set aside for northern residents. Each wmu has a guesstimate of minimum pool 1 applicants to guarantee an adult license.

In theory all groups over the minimum receive a license, a percentage of northern applicants receive licenses. Then if there are extra. Single applicants and pool 2s receive license. If there's license left still they get sold as surplus.

There's no accurate record of moose numbers harvested legally or by natives. So MNR has no clue of population and if they do a survey they usually realize they are wrong, make the correction then by the time they get back to doing a survey again they've over corrected and population is devistated or over populated.

If a population is struggling they will never close the unit to moose hunting because tag sales is their #1 revenue source. So instead they just increase the guaranteed group size, usually forcing a group of hunters to go out and buy new extra licenses, their family members, neighbours etc licenses in order to increase their group size. So really they are increasing their revenue $. Think of all the groups around perry sound that need 14/15 pool ones for an adult license. I know guys every year that go up with a pocket full of calf tags and apply every year in the hopes of an adult license.

You will enjoy nfld. Tons of moose. Great people, and beautiful country.

Last summer we were down there and counted 19 moose in a 20 minute drive to go salmon fishing, and while fishing had two different cows walk right across the river less than 100yds away. Its nuts.

Ontario has their reaources to messed up im surprised there is anything left.

Driving from tbay to fort frances this july we saw 6 moose. All cows, 2 with calfs. Saw another moose collision just outside wawa during the night.

S.

Between atikokan and tbay on the south side of the highway all the way to the us border I used to see tons and tons of moose while flying. That was 7-8 years ago. South west of tbay had the most. Seen a load around red lake as well. North and south of town.

Really excited to go to Newfoundland, my grandfather and I, I believe my wife is going to bring our 6 month old (at the time) son. Unfortunately my Dad will be staying home to look after everything. But my Grandfather will have a chance at hunting with his great grandson.

If the decline of Ontarios moose population is really ticks and brain worm then that's an unfortunate cycle. It's just hard to look at how well Quebec manages its moose and see 3 moose/km2 at the highest on the south side of the saint laurence and a little better population than Ontario on the north.

If it's bear,wolves, and deer that are predating moose and driving them out of their habit than a push should be made to decline their numbers in the bad areas.

You think that's bad? 2 or 3 tags available here in zone 11 (North Bay area). I have no idea how healthy the population actually is, but I have at least 4 moose in close proximity to my property at any given time. Mention to the MNR how good the moose hunting is Quebec, and they'll say "oh Quebec has big problems too".... yeah, all the Ontario hunters are going over there because we lost our moose hunt!

Then I hear about night hunting with flood lights and multiple kills on the local reserve(s). I don't know if the rednecks or non-native locals are poaching yet. I can only imagine that'll happen too.

I've never seen so many rabbits this year and they cut off the spring season, but they extended partridge season and the deer lottery seems too low as well.

Ya I don't understand the Georgian Bay Area/north bay there is a mess of moose running around and no licenses. Maybe it's cause the cottage population? Or they don't want to give out lots of licenses with the proximity to the dense population in southern Ontario?

Edited by firebird