All about fishing Senkos

smithy97

Nope. If a pike does hit your senko they're most likely to snap your line. Your better off using traditional pike lures.

If you do intend to target pike with senko's, just don't be that guy who uses them earlier in the season when bass season is closed. Seen so many of these guys around that claim they're targeting pike but when they catch a bass, they gotta take pics with it.

Saw a few guys with little crank baits, light line, and no leader pre bass season this year also claiming to be out for pike. I don't play that game.

Had a really nice gar sniffer on a 4" texas white senko earlier this month too. They seem interested in them that's for sure.

Since I only got into Senko's this year I can respond about how to best store them over winter. Hopefully someone can chime in on that. I keep mine in the package in an plano box that has no dividers in it. I know some guys put them in ziplock bags. Not sure if they need to be sealed up that good or not.

I have a few bottles of the Yum F2 spray scent I got from the Le Baron sales. Thinking of marinading some senkos in zippies over the winter. Ill probably zippy the rest until next season..cant hurt.

watch what formula you use to marinate your senkos some will swell up or turn to mush.....I will use left over scent from Berkley gulp and put a bit in the senko bag or container a few hours before im going to use them and that works well,some of the other scents over time will ruin your senkos...... been there done that just sayin

watch what formula you use to marinate your senkos some will swell up or turn to mush.....I will use left over scent from Berkley gulp and put a bit in the senko bag or container a few hours before im going to use them and that works well,some of the other scents over time will ruin your senkos...... been there done that just sayin

Noted!

Never found a need to marinate senko style baits. Most brand names are impregnated with salt. Bass seem to hold on to them forever. That is why you hear of people finding sick looking bass with stomach clogged with soft plastic baits. Marinating senkos can get very messy. The high salt content of the Yamamoto senko is also why they break so easily.

Great bait to learn bass with Senko's are, but for me I catch too many small fish on them and big fish are just not consistent enough for the bait to be a player in the arsenal for me anymore so we don't even own a stick bait. I'd much rather fish quickly with tungsten texas-rigged plastic craws or lead flipping jig's and downsize the skirt, chunk and fall rate to adapt with poor fishing conditions.

For a rod a good 6'8-7'1M spinning or casting rod. Run light braid to a fluorocarbon leader. 15-10 or 20-12 would be perfect depending on the water clarity and cover.

I disagree with senkos being easy to catch fish on, using a live worm you could easily out fish a senko with no comparison. Sure you get some bites with senkos, but how many actually get hooked in ratio?There's a few different ways to hook a senko, and some of them make it harder to hook fish then others. I've seen rookies fish with senkos, they just get pissed off because they cant catch a fish!! There are some tricks to them for sure!

Edited by canoecarrier

I disagree with senkos being easy to catch fish on, using live worm you could easily out fish a senko with no comparison. Sure you get some bites with senkos, but how many actually get hooked in ratio?There's a few different ways to hook a senko, and some of them make it harder to hook fish then others. I've seen rookies fish with senkos, they just get pissed off because they cant catch a fish!! There are some tricks to them for sure!

But for those wanting to learn pure artificial baits for tournaments (since live bait is not allowed) ... it has to be senkos (or similar).

Senkos are the last thing I'm fishing in a tourney. Maybe if I can't get 4 good fish it's going in the water

Interesting.

I know in the Kawartha's wacky worm setup of a Senko is very common and even though it attracts a fair number of smaller fish, it is popular choice for the big bass.

Can I ask what you would throw since Senko's aren't your preference?

Cranks, spinner/trailer etc.

I'm trying to cover water for big fish, senkos are to slow unless Texas rigged but it's not that good of a method up here.

Maybe in a cold front or if I can't seem to get bit I'm throwing a senko. Actually even then I'm probably dropshot or shakeyhead first

I'm not knocking senkos, they work. But maybe better down there than up here? Or your just a better angler than me? Lol who knows???

My go-to is topwater, followed by texas rigged plastics and wacky senkos. I'll usually try these methods before grabbing the crankbait rod. I just don't have the confidence in crankbaits, but I can see why using them to find fish fast in a tournament situation makes sense. I'm not sure if many people fish crankbaits in the kawartha's because of how weedy the lakes are, but maybe I'm wrong. I know that a lot of big bass have come from those lakes on topwater frogs and wacky senkos

Spinnerbaits are usually the first thing in the water for me, while my oldman throws a topwater in the back of the boat. Up front I've got 4-5 setups. Crankbait set, spinnerbait, topwater, dropshot and a spinning rod rigged with a jigging spoon. Usually doesn't take too long to pattern fish out. Although this last weekend the weather has been wonky and the fish seem pretty scattered.

to locate fish im throwing spooks...this year i got absolutely addicted to the nishine erie 115md jerkbait, it absolutely hammered fish.

I always keep a wacky tied, nothing beats them in the pads, and any time i see trailers on a hooked smallie, im throwing a slow falling senko.

My go-to is topwater, followed by texas rigged plastics and wacky senkos. I'll usually try these methods before grabbing the crankbait rod. I just don't have the confidence in crankbaits, but I can see why using them to find fish fast in a tournament situation makes sense. I'm not sure if many people fish crankbaits in the kawartha's because of how weedy the lakes are, but maybe I'm wrong. I know that a lot of big bass have come from those lakes on topwater frogs and wacky senkos

You're right that the Kawartha's are very weedy and some more than others. But crankbaits are commonly used to skim across the tops of the weeds that don't come to the surface, or along the edge of the weed bed. I regularly use crankbaits and jerkbaits and chatterbaits.

Senkos are like any other bait, you have to use them correctly. They're not a small fish bait, they're not hard to fish, they don't have poor hook up ratios and they get thrown in bass tournament every day. Just consider their versatility in rigging options alone...weedless rig, shakey head, ned style, weighted, texas, etc, and you can cover most water types and species right there. A slow falling senko is not a detriment if your tossing as a follow up bait to a topwater...you want slow. Just read up about them online and use them in the right situation, you'll love them.

I like the idea of a wacky senko as a follow up bait, especially to a topwater. Can't tell you how many times a fish has whacked and missed my spook (or flown 3 feet in the area after missing it lol) I'll be trying this next season for sure. I learn something new every day!

I use quite a few senkos rigged in 3 or 4 different ways. I found that if I am fishing with a buddy whenever one of us hooks up the other drops a wacky rigged senko in the water where the fish is going to be landed. It is surprising how many fish follow the hooked fish.Lots of hook ups doing this.

Art

I don't use them but think I should. Years back my former Bro in law took up fishing after he retired at 65. He had not owned a rod and reel since he was 12 or something. He comes over and shows me these pics of big, I mean big, Largies and Northerns, even a small Musky, by mistake. Who caught them I ask? "I did." No way Jose. He told me about Senko's whacky rigged, he's whacky rigged. I had never heard of them. If that duffus can catch monster fish on them they should be illegal. He actually is a good guy, wait, wrong brother in law, he's a duffus. Only kidding Wayne. Forgot he's here on OFC, ooops.

Edited by Old Ironmaker