Opeongo Mountain Resort - mid Sept trip with the boys (looking for help)

MSBruno

Fished this beautiful lake for many years, it can be tough sledding. The lake is crystal clear, your best times to fish are dawn and dusk, nighttime is also a great option. We fish mainly for walleye, there are also lake trout, smallmouth bass and pike in the lake.

I don’t venture too far from the end of the lake that Opeongo Mountain Resort is on. Speed varies from 1.0 to 1.5 mph. At daybreak, I troll a 2oz bottom bouncer with either a worm harness or a yellow perch coloured Rapala, on a 60 inch lead. If you are out early enough, follow the 10-20 ft breakline in front of the resort. As the morning progresses I’d move out and troll the 25-35 foot breakline, following the contour of that side of the lake in front of the resort. Watch for activity on your graph, I have found with this lake that if you aren’t marking fish or baitfish, move. The walleye will also suspend at times in this lake. Note the size (50 cm and over) and limit (2 with a sport license).

At night, the ‘eyes back the baitfish into the shallows of that area, again in front of Opeongo. Trolling is your best bet also, longline a Rapala-type shallow runner and hang on. The walleye in this lake run larger than average, and fight like a banshee.

For smallmouth bass, there are several shoals that run out from the shoreline or an island, these are clearly marked by a large red ball. There are some big smallies in the lake. On a sunny day, the shoals are very easy to spot from a distance.

Enjoy your trip, it is a gorgeous lake.

That place sounds like a great spot for good fishing. Watched a bit of the videos and as I suspected each is an info-mercial. Does anyone on these shows every just say " I'll get the net" rather then "I'll get the Frabill". I know they have to or no show.

Great heads up Spanky. Did that Banjo catch any fish?

Edited by Old Ironmaker