OK no more Photo Bucket, now what?

Old Ironmaker

I actually was able to finally use PB on other sites except this one of course. I asked on a different thread what are you pic gurus going to use now? Any consensus? I see Google used more now.

It's going to cost guys like Mr's Bunk and Borger thousands, if they can get them back from the hostage takers at all. I read that the digital formatting of the pics has been tweaked by those Bat Rastards so they are useless unless you pay them, true or fake news?

I might then be able to post a photo of a fish I didn't catch myself just to prove I'm having a bad year fishing which is always better than a good year working.

3 responses 3 different photo sharing sites. I like simple. Why is it Facebook doesn't require to downsize images, or does it? Maybe I have been lucky and the pics were small enough.

I wonder if there is a preference OFC might have for this type of service?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

For now, I'm done with photobucket. Every post with photos I've made is broken, as I assume most other's are as well. They're not getting $400 per year from me to post a few dozen photos. I tried google but this site wouldn't accept the images on my first attempt. It's a work in progress.

Pretty weird how a forum of this size doesn't allow direct uploads.

Bandwidth is cheap.

I often wonder the same thing....Perhaps have a premium membership for a yearly fee to have this feature for anyone interested.. That would help cover any costs..Im worried the good reports wont posted here anymore because of this PB nightmare..

After a few tries, some due to changes at Pbucket, some me not remembering (turns out it was 2013 when I last used it) I finally got signed in and did me some reading.

Annual packages for "3rd party hosting", which is any posting on any other site linked to your album, are 60, 100 & 400 annually depending on how many gbs your album uses (think that's what they mean) but I don't think you escape any of the ads if you pay these amounts. Big long press release whining about it being unsustainable to continue hosting for people linking due to number of business interests also linking for free - so everyone pays now. Still possible to access and download your own album contents only for free (unless they're lying about that somehow).

I dunno guys, but I think what they're saying is that there's not enough ad revenue and other fees to support the hosting when what they mean is that after paying out the costs of hosting there's not enough left for dotcom style salaries (but they won't say that!).

Facebook and Kijiji, even the Weathernetwork, now are so rife with ads that they've slowed right down for me using this Rocket Stick, and the bandwidth charges I pay for internet are ridiculous (like 10.00 per gb - use 60 gb in a month and see what a 600.00 plus tax Rogers bill looks like!) I had to stop watching any kind of video on line to cut that down (a bit!).

I haven't tried any other hosting site but have heard of all the ones mentioned - if they're free now and they work, I'd be worried about them staying free. I kept copies on flash (usb sticks) and/or my external hard drive (so I still got them) and uploaded from there when I was posting. The big disaster here though, is for all the past posts that no longer show the posted pictures - that's a major blow and it would be a nightmare for any member to go back any post at all. What I mean by this would be Pbucket should not have cut standing links like they did, but certainly not permit any future ones after their notification.

If there is a "real" photo hosting site that is truly free and won't cut established links if they change as Pbucket did, then it would be one I may decide to even pay a small fee to if they change. Pbucket to me now is just another site I won't visit to incure bandwidth usage.

Think I'm gonna hafta go back to watching dvd's & tv...cheaper!

Michael

Sinker(Shane) brought it up

It literally costs about $100/month to run a board

I know, I used to have one. It's dirt cheap and I've told that many times to art

Ran multiple websites in the past.. and at $100 your being robbed.

There are tons of web hosting companies with unlimited bandwidth for $20-$30 a month.

There are tons of web hosting companies with unlimited bandwidth for $20-$30 a month.

Probably true now. I ran mine back 10+ years ago and that was around the cost including the software to create the forum

Bandwidth is cheap.

I would love to hear the answer to this from a moderator/owner of this site. In this day and age, its still not to. Every other site I visit has this, or they use tapatalk from mobile. This is the only site i can't post directly to from mobile. Drives me nuts.

S.

Just tried from my phone

OK OK OK

You took this pic off the internet somewhere. Theres "NO WAY IN HELL", you caught that.

UH UH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY

I even checked my PC to see if you hacked into my pics.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

OK OK OK

You took this pic off the internet somewhere. Theres "NO WAY IN HELL", you caught that.

UH UH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY

I even checked my PC to see if you hacked into my pics.

You stop it right now youngsters, we are almost there, now play nice. I don't care who started it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Stop it right now you two. We are almost there, now play nice and stop bugging your brother.

Cheaptackle said.

"I had to stop watching any kind of video on line to cut that down (a bit!)."

I can understand patching into your big screen TV to watch stuff online. What I don't get is watching something on this little screen, and paying for it.

I'm trying imger. I finally got what imger meant, what a silly name. Imager stupid. I passed a car lot on Upper James for years that had a sign, astraded.com. I asked my lady "I have a stupid question. Why a name like Astrided for a car lot? First she says "better than anyone else I know" an then told me it's As Traded. I have to be careful asking questions of someone that should be a member of Mensa.

If I remember right when I hooked into Photo Bucket they said for X number of jiggabibels or gigabibels it was going to cost me money. At first I said no way, then I was told I don't have that many pics so don't sweat it. If you don't know the cost of Potatos don't go in the French Fry business.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

3 responses 3 different photo sharing sites. I like simple. Why is it Facebook doesn't require to downsize images, or does it? Maybe I have been lucky and the pics were small enough.

I wonder if there is a preference OFC might have for this type of service?

Imgur is absolutely the easiest and best. No resizing or anything, just upload and you're done.

Bandwidth is cheap.

It does, you just have to find it. Perhaps it should be made easier for users.

If you're running a simple static site the basic hosting packages will do just fine. But a small forum like this, maybe not. You'll run into issues other than bandwidth. Been there, done that.