Bluegill and Sunfish Hotspots in Tiny, ON

Dutchy

Dear OFC members,

I have not been active at all, although I read the board all the time.Stuff to clear. Roy, I believe I said something rude to you a couple of years ago and I am genuinely sorry. Was having a bad day. I still remember the thread and what I said, sorry.

My reasons for inactivity from a fishing perspective are now four years old and two years old. Fishing has taken a major back seat obviously, I married late in life and we had kids quick. Life has been a blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyhoo, we have rented a cottage for a week in Tiny ON (on Balm Beach) and I am really excited, because my son is showing interest in fishing. I know nothing of the area and honestly, I am asking for your sunfish and/or bluegill hotspots.Is there anywhere around there? The lady we are renting from is unsure, said there is a dock people fish from.

Any info will be kept top secret. PM me if necessary.

I thank you in advance.

Cheers

Doug.

I know nothing of the area except what can be seen on the map or in pictures, a lot more experience with kids though. For a 2 and 4 year old? the species of fish really isn't going to matter as long as there is action!

A pier or dock on the main open lake could have bluegill or sunfish around, possibly rockbass and other species, and with little ones that age you can steer their excitement level over their catch!

Snacks and drinks are a must! LOL

You're going to be hardpressed to get bluegill in around Tiny unless you were to maybe go down to Simcoe (Bluegill are slowly making their way through the Trent-Severn into Georgian Bay but they are in super low numbers). Little Lake in Midland wouldn't be bad, around 15 minutes away from Balm Beach and it's loaded with Pumpkinseeds and Rock Bass and other panfish. In terms of fishing at Balm Beach, you may get Rock Bass or Smallmouth but Balm Beach is, well, a beach. Not much for cover, there won't be too much around unless there's some rocks around.

Get a dozen worms, a handful of minnows and a 2 and 4 year old. Put the minnows in a bucket and go to a dock. Bait the hooks with whatever and a red and white bobber. Then watch the 2 and 4 year old watch the minnows in the bucket until they get bored with it. In my experience they could care less if they caught a fish. If you do get one put it in the bucket and they are good for another hour. Oh I've been there and done that. My 5 year old niece caught her first fish and it had to be a 3 lb Smallie (edit: maybe a pound and a half) on her brand new pink Barbie rod. She threw the rod in the water and of course I got wet. She could care less, she however couldn't keep her eyes off the minnows in the bucket. Now I'm fishing with her 5 year old daughter with the same Barbie rod.

The 2 and 4 year old have the concentration of a,,,,, well 2 and 4 year old. Have fun and don't turn it into a fishing expedition, they are babies remember. You don't need a "hot spot" you need patience. Don't be disappointed because you might, I think you are overthinking this fishing trip. What are you going to do if they hate fishing?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You could try Collingwood harbour. You will see the area I am talking about when you start to drive up the road. Lots of reeds and weeds. You can park there and fish. Just make sure you have a PFD on the little ones. You can get perch, rock bass, sun fish,bass and pike.

Nice to see ya back Dutch.

Like family, we say things, but after time, it goes away, and mending is done.

Welcome back. I believe I ran into you several years back.....thought you were a potential poacher on a creek south of Goderich :P I rarely post here but have been reading the board for years.....pm sent;)

I remember it well, you are extremely tall if I remember correctly. I find that creek very interesting as I am a biologist and it always amazes me how those fish get there. Thanks for the PM.

Thanks for all the replies. I have zero expectations of it and if it doesn't work, plenty of other things to do.

Most of you have confirmed what I was thinking re: kids, attention span, snacks and buckets. Watch this space, you never know what might happen.

Thanks again.

Doug.

If you want to catch a few fish for dinner (and don't mind paying) there is a trout pond on CR 6 just north of Lafontaine Rd near a ittle pitch and put golf course. The trout are rainbows and relatively easy to catch. There is no catch and release though. If you catch it, you take it.

I took my kids there when they were quite young, but experienced fishermen. I nearly had to take out a second mortgage. We were out of there in about 15 minutes, They figured out where the trout were (it was hot and windy and they were near the bottom) and then went at e'em. With little kids you could probably control the bite a bit.

Edited by Canuck

put a worm on a hook under a bobber and have at it, they'll be happy with whatever bites. took my daughter out when she was 2, went for 2 minutes, caught a handful of panfish, and went back in. shes 4 now, 3-4 hours is no problem for her, she'll play with the worms in between fish

Have a cottage in that area and have a couple suggestions for yah . Have not been in several years but you can try Tiny Marsh on county rd 29 ,

It is a provincial wetland park and as of a couple years ago had loads of panfish . It would be approx. 20 min drive from the Balm Beach area.

Another spot would be the Midland town docks , throw out a worm and you never know what you will catch there . Midland is a 20 min drive as well .

Good luck