Lake Nippissing

DaveRoach

Decided to book a lodge for a week coming this Saturday in the South end of lake Nippissing. Does anyone have experience fishing the south end for Muskies? Should I boat up to the french? Bait suggestions?

This is my first time out on the lake and will be alone, I would be gratefull for any tips, suggestions on structure etc.

Thanks in advance

Dave

P.S I will be in a 16' Princecraft console with a 60 HP and current Navionics

Never fished muskies in the main lake Dave but have always done very well over the years on the West Arm.

Best places I always found were in about 8-9 feet of water around heavy cabbage and rocks throwing big spinnerbaits & bucktails....orange and black was always a pretty good combo.

Don't know if the same tactics will work on the big lake but may be worth a try if you find the cabbage & rocks.

Best of luck.

Never fished muskies in the main lake Dave but have always done very well over the years on the West Arm.

Best places I always found were in about 8-9 feet of water around heavy cabbage and rocks throwing big spinnerbaits & bucktails....orange and black was always a pretty good combo.

Don't know if the same tactics will work on the big lake but may be worth a try if you find the cabbage & rocks.

Best of luck.

Thanks Lew

Check your weather closely Dave. I wouldn't go too far from the south shore in a 16 footer, far too small to cross that lake. It's been years since going to the south end. Never caught one myself but South Bay held them years back. When we were going there was a 2 years waiting list to get a nice place on Nippising.

Good luck and enjoy.

There are musky in South Bay. But they elude me almost all the time. I stay at Nipissing Lodge. A great place to stay. I have a 16.5 foot StarCraft with a 90 hp Optimax. I fish the Gull Rock shoals for pickerel most of the time. I just came back from a weekend there and marked, and caught, lots of fish on the endless shoals. Two keepers. But there are days when the wind keeps you off the open water. That's when you fish amongst the islands.I spent a couple of hours on a large, beautiful weed bed in South Bay and saw a big fish surface four times around the edge of the weed bed. It was huge, definitely not a bass or anything like that. It was just tormenting me.

I have seen Musky Hunter and Fish Finder episodes where they troll the shoals in open water for musky. Years ago I had a huge fish on trolling the Gull Rocks, but I messed up. The fish straightened out a hook and that was all she wrote. You really need two guys on the boat when trolling those shoals. One guy to manage the rod, the other guy should have his eyes glued to his electronics as there are some nasty rocks just under the surface in that area. I have actually only landed a few smaller musky there myself. But I have seen fish over 40 inches landed by a fellow from the US who used to fish the islands in South Bay every fall. He would show up every September on the week of a full moon, head out with a bag lunch at 6:30 am and you wouldn't see him at camp again until dark. There were trips he didn't land a fish. But other trips he would land four or five big fish.

Not being as dedicated, I usually give up after half a day and cast for bass or look for pickerel again.

It's a beautiful area and I love going there. If you have never been, I would highly recommend that you go and have a look for yourself. As I mentioned, I stay at Nipissing Lodge. Good facilities including good docks, which is so important to guys with boats. Andy

I don't know if we are talking about the same "Gull Rocks" but I sharpened my Walleye teeth there trolling harnesses. I came up to the in-laws cottage at Bear Creek with some heavy stand up jigs in white or yellow and hammered them with a trailer hook and worm. My Father-in Law refused to use anything but harnesses until I went home, so I was told. Good luck have fun, be safe. That lake can be a killer in a matter of minutes not hours. When the sky turns dark in the distance in any direction leave the water immediately. You might get back before you have to take shelter on shore or in the South Bay. I saw a bright light and was urged to walk to it one sunny afternoon by some unknown voice. I swear. Be careful Sir.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

There are musky in South Bay. But they elude me almost all the time. I stay at Nipissing Lodge. A great place to stay. I have a 16.5 foot StarCraft with a 90 hp Optimax. I fish the Gull Rock shoals for pickerel most of the time. I just came back from a weekend there and marked, and caught, lots of fish on the endless shoals. Two keepers. But there are days when the wind keeps you off the open water. That's when you fish amongst the islands.I spent a couple of hours on a large, beautiful weed bed in South Bay and saw a big fish surface four times around the edge of the weed bed. It was huge, definitely not a bass or anything like that. It was just tormenting me.

I have seen Musky Hunter and Fish Finder episodes where they troll the shoals in open water for musky. Years ago I had a huge fish on trolling the Gull Rocks, but I messed up. The fish straightened out a hook and that was all she wrote. You really need two guys on the boat when trolling those shoals. One guy to manage the rod, the other guy should have his eyes glued to his electronics as there are some nasty rocks just under the surface in that area. I have actually only landed a few smaller musky there myself. But I have seen fish over 40 inches landed by a fellow from the US who used to fish the islands in South Bay every fall. He would show up every September on the week of a full moon, head out with a bag lunch at 6:30 am and you wouldn't see him at camp again until dark. There were trips he didn't land a fish. But other trips he would land four or five big fish.

Not being as dedicated, I usually give up after half a day and cast for bass or look for pickerel again.

It's a beautiful area and I love going there. If you have never been, I would highly recommend that you go and have a look for yourself. As I mentioned, I stay at Nipissing Lodge. Good facilities including good docks, which is so important to guys with boats. Andy

Thanks Andy.

I don't know if we are talking about the same "Gull Rocks" but I sharpened my Walleye teeth there trolling harnesses. I came up to the in-laws cottage at Bear Creek with some heavy stand up jigs in white or yellow and hammered them with a trailer hook and worm. My Father-in Law refused to use anything but harnesses until I went home, so I was told. Good luck have fun, be safe. That lake can be a killer in a matter of minutes not hours. When the sky turns dark in the distance in any direction leave the water immediately. You might get back before you have to take shelter on shore or in the South Bay. I saw a bright light and was urged to walk to it one sunny afternoon by some unknown voice. I swear. Be careful Sir.

Thanks for the advice, I will be extremely careful and have an acurate wind app. I plan to crawl up the southwest side and fish shoals and islands. Hopefully mother nature will be nice to me but I'm nt counting on it this year. Thanks again