Suggestions? Penetang or Honey Harbor - or both :)

hutch4113

I am planning on taking a Father and Son out fishing this weekend - most likely on the Monday. He is a avid fisherman, but only on streams and rivers due to a lack of a boat. He wanted to get his son out this year, so asked if I could assist.

We will be launching from Penetang.

I have never fished in that area at all, and wondering where I would be best to concentrate. I have Navionics and a Chip, so should know where most of the Rocks are. I spent most of my summers as a kid in Honey Harbor, so am familiar with the area.

I figure we will target Bass - but really I think he just wants to catch something (or more likely wants his young son to catch something) so Pike would be fine to (we are catch and release anyway). I will bring my Muskie gear, and will probably try for that, at least for a bit.

There is a lot of water to cover, so send me your suggestions (PM if you like) - I am thinking it would be better for us to go across to Honey Harbor - might have more of a chance there.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tupelo

i personally think you will have a lot more luck on the east side of georgian bay.

The water this year is unusually cool so the smallies are still relating to shore and shoals. find a hump or point and throw jerkbaits or top waters if its early...youll smash bass and pike all day.

I fished a completely new area in pointe au baril this weekend and boated 9 smallies and 2 pike in about 3 hours just floating around some islands and shoals. easy shooting.

I would launch at Honey Harbour and head out to the islands around Minnicognashene Island. Troll around them with crankbaits until you find where they are hitting and then drift that area with live bait. If you can find a place where there is a quick drop-off into deep water you will usually find the bigger SM Bass. As soon as the bait goes out of sight they will hit with a long slow pull.

Edited by Cast-Away

You say in your post you're already familiar with Honey Harbour, so I'd stick with what you know if you're trying to put newbs on fish

Sorry - should have said I am familiar when it comes to boating - no idea on the area when it comes to fishing.

Sorry - should have said I am familiar when it comes to boating - no idea on the area when it comes to fishing.

Guess I could've offered more too lol.

Fished HH a couple weeks ago and it was a grind. Popped a few off rock points with spinnerbaits, but most action came off the deeper side of weedlines in the little bays we hit. Super spooks got the most action there. Also good to note is we power fish almost exclusively. Spooks, poppers, spinnerbaits and jerk baits. Slowing down with finesse baits would've upped our catch for sure. But I wasn't on the pedal up front lol.

Good luck out there :)

Wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. We launched out of Penetang - but spent all of our time on the other side of the Bay.

​Started up a Giants Tomb - there was a point I wanted to check out, but never saw anything. Tried some shoals, etc. around the Bay - caught mostly Bass, and a small Pike. Father and Son had a Bass double header to that was fun (no real post worthy pictures however).

Best opportunity of the day however was early morning - had a 40++ Muskie follow my lure back to the Boat. Gorgeous looking fish - Really Fat. But could not entice a strike :dunno: . (That bugged me all day :wallbash: ).

Saw a Bald Eagle, which was cool.

Honey Harbor was a bust - way too much boat traffic.

Anyway, have a better idea of what to try next time. Looking forward to a trip back.

Glad you had fun bud!

I saw a bald eagle nest further up the bay back in July. There were two that had just fledged from the nest.

within the past 25 years of going to georgian bay...i only started seeing bald eagles within the past 5 years and now i see them quite frequently. What we are doing to reduce pesticide use like DDT is working, and the proof is in the sky!

Ive seen some other rather rare birds randomly showing up now too...sandhill cranes, bald eagles, golden eagles

Edited by AKRISONER

Funny Akrisoner I said the same thing to by buddy when we spotted them. They were nesting on an island out past the main boat channel.

There is multiple families everywhere now...the best part is that they also keep the commorants in check. Saw a big one bullying a whole group of commorants in the fall they wanted nothing to do with its 7 foot wingspan