US waste water plant takes a big crap into the Lower Niagara River

chris.brock

http://www.chch.com/sewage-discharged-niagara-river/

I saw this on my local CHCH news this evening. I guess all the details aren't available yet.

I'm not a big fan of the mantra "the solution to pollution is dilution".

I'll likely be drinking this stuff later this week.

Unreal

We just had a "dump" of sulphyric acid last week. This is inexcusable

There is another thread here about the same incident. I thought it was on the Queenston side. So my in laws can't be blamed. Yep, control the pollution through dilution was something that was actually used by our engineers in the 70's and 80's at Stelco in Hamilton believe it or not Chris, I hope you all believe it. There was no such thing as an Environmental Dept. then. When I said that there was such a thing as Smog over the plant in the early 70's as a young engineering student I was laughed out of the room of the Inter Sanctum and never invited back by the WW2 vets that were in control of everything and anything. That previous year at school was the study of environmental effects of manufacturing in Hamilton that I worked on. I knew nothing about the cost of doing business. I was warned but didn't listen. They put me in Accounting for 3 long years, and on shifts until I saw the light.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

https://www.neorsd.org/about/southerly/

And located in an area here prone to flooding near the Cuyahoga River which runs into Lake Erie.

A long way from Erie. Looks to be local to Lewiston NY. Please not Erie. Another if it doesn't effect me I don't care. This won't be on the first page tomorrow in Toronto, where the country evolves around.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Lots of major cities have a sewer and ground water systems that are combined. The expense to build these system before we all got water conscience was less expensive than 2 separate systems. When the clean water act of 1972 was enacted they were ordered to put in treatment facilities with settling ponds to treat the water before being released into local waterways. The times where excessive rain overwhelms the systems they are allowed to flash treat them with a chlorine spray system that has marginal contact time before being dumped into the rivers. It is fairly effective on bacterial and organic contaminants but the scouring action of the massive amounts of water can cause heavier contaminants and discoloring does occur. Not good for sure but better than the old systems where they were dumped straight into the rivers. We have a section of the Potomac river that in the early 70's would catch fire due to the chemicals that people where introducing into the water shed. The river now is much healthier but we still are cautioned on eating older fish due to the heavy metals and chemicals that are locked into the mud.

Art

The times where excessive rain overwhelms the systems they are allowed to flash treat them with a chlorine spray system that has marginal contact time before being dumped into the rivers.

Art

Happens with regularity on the Grand River here in Ont. It is a bit disconcerting when you see toilet paper floating down the river downstream of Brantford after a big storm. I haven't eaten a fish from the Grand in, well forever actually. I know people that eat as many from there that they can catch from Mudcats to Walleye and Bass. When invited for a fish fry I respectfully pass.

Lots of major cities have a sewer and ground water systems that are combined. The expense to build these system before we all got water conscience was less expensive than 2 separate systems. When the clean water act of 1972 was enacted they were ordered to put in treatment facilities with settling ponds to treat the water before being released into local waterways. The times where excessive rain overwhelms the systems they are allowed to flash treat them with a chlorine spray system that has marginal contact time before being dumped into the rivers. It is fairly effective on bacterial and organic contaminants but the scouring action of the massive amounts of water can cause heavier contaminants and discoloring does occur. Not good for sure but better than the old systems where they were dumped straight into the rivers. We have a section of the Potomac river that in the early 70's would catch fire due to the chemicals that people where introducing into the water shed. The river now is much healthier but we still are cautioned on eating older fish due to the heavy metals and chemicals that are locked into the mud.

Art

I never heard of the fires on the Potomac Art, but these made our area infamous!

The river flows thru the old industrial area of Cleveland and who knows who was dumping what into it!