Ever used or heard of "Green Worms"

My brother just got back from a trip to a friends place just north and inland of Point Au Baril just off 69 across from the Rez. They caught the most fish ever last week since Rick bought the place around 5 years ago. A local steered them to a guy that sells "Green Worms" At 12 bucks a dozen!!! He said the Walleye and Smallies hit on every worm. 8 feet of water simply a hook, a worm then latter a piece of worm and a few split shot. They caught a fish on every single worm, or more when they cut them in 1/2. Even at a buck a worm they went back and bought more.

The seller says he puts an enzyme in the worm bedding that turns the worms green. When they dumped the worm dirt in the lake the water turned green. He is thinking it might just be food colouring. He's doing some home science project. 12 bucks a dozen seems nuts, but I have more than a few pieces of hardware that costs more than that and stays in the back of the box or home because I haven't caught a single fish with them.

Any one ever heard of these fish catchin' green worms? How do they make them green? Can't argue with success.

Maybe a future in selling all colours of worms.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

seen them before (could have been at Le Barons) but never used any. I wonder if kool-aid powder in the soil would also work if in the moist soil long enough? There's one to try I guess OI

You can use a product called 'Worm Glo' to make your own, it takes a couple of weeks though to get the full colour. The 'pre-greened' ones are usually a doller more than regular worms at most bait shops. I made a bunch a few years ago and fished them side by side with regular worms. Walleye don't seem to care which ones they eat as near as I could tell but they do look pretty neat though.

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sure-life-labs-worm-glo

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1711/1637/products/[email protected]?v=1484772336

Edited by G.mech

OI, forget it. Has been said it was a fad many years ago. I remember someone bringing them along and if you cut them that die was all over the place.

nature never made GREEN worms.

Throw some chamenta at them and knock them out, call them heavy grey worms! You could make money.

He and buddy swear it works, so does everyone else that caught fish when no one else was. He's off to BPS in the AM to buy some Worm Glow. I was wrong about the price, $13.00 not 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made da munetza wid da chamenta befo fratto mio. Can't talk about it until Statute of Limitations is finitto.

Oooops. The chamenta dementia is kicking in, so is the Vino.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I can pay a kid to dig up my yard and if someone pays me a buck a worm I can buy another yard and a Bob Cat. My neighbour sells them for 2 bucks a bakers dozen, best price in town. He picks the golf course at night with his little head lamp on. I remember driving buy the golf course in the neighbourhood I grew up in and you would see a dozen lights going along the fairways side by each. They brought the ladies in by the van load.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Gave them a serious go years ago when that fad happened. Many many trips head to head with regular worms. Sometimes they did better...sometimes they did not. Never once felt it made a difference overall so I stopped buying them. I guess others came up with similar results because the "fad" only lasted 2-3 summers and I haven't seen them anywhere since.

I made da munetza wid da chamenta befo fratto mio. Can't talk about it until Statute of Limitations is finitto.Oooops. The chamenta dementia is kicking in, so is the Vino.

good man, spend your money on the vino! YOU will never get skunked! Well maybe, you will see green down the line. That crap is terrible.

And a waste of lots of $$$$$$$$.

I was very seriously fishing 20 years ago and thought we heard all the fads and newest fish smashing technologies. Anyone remember the "Color-C-Lector". There was a fad people paid much more than 12 bucks for. I think around $400.00 if not mistaken. But I never heard of the Green Worm fad for some reason. If I did I have forgotten. Export, Crown, Mr. Walker, both colours, Vino, both colours, Dr. Smirnoff, all god awful flavours, Si02, S, Si, Mg0 and C0 to name a few, certainly not a good diet for cerebral elasticity. Thus I fergit some stuff now.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

12 bucks a dozen is absolute highway robbery. Every corner store in town here has them, about a dollar more per dozen. Sounds like they just found a hot area. If fishing was as easy as just dipping their worms in the right colour, it wouldn't be very fun.

Ive used em, they probably work just as well as normal worms most of the time, but beyond that I haven't seen anything special.

I think a key to angling success is confidence in whatever presentation, population and location you then have the utmost confidence that success will come. When you have confidence in what you are doing with whatever you are using all the angling senses are heightened and thus you may catch more fish. Green , blue, pink or whatever colour worms you have dangling on your hook. Confidence is key to success in all aspects of life really. That I know to be true.

I was given a fathers day gift of the green worm bedding in a fiber worm box. You put the worms into the bedding and the dye in the worm food turns them green. That part worked fine. The problem is that the green worms poop has the dye in it, and it stains whatever touches it. Worms didn't catch any more fish either. I still use the fibre worm box though. You soak it in water, put some moss in it and it keeps worms better while out on the boat than the styrofoam boxes you buy em in.

You are bang on Canuck. I have had a proper worm box for over 30 years. Buy some of that bedding from CTC at the beginning of the year wet it a bit and put a couple of dozen worms in it. Keep it in a very dark area that has some ventilation and that 2 dozen worms can last all summer. I will add bedding as it breaks down over the season. Worms have baby worms too. You want to clean the box well in the fall, really well with just water, no chemical cleaners.

You are bang on Canuck. I have had a proper worm box for over 30 years. Buy some of that bedding from CTC at the beginning of the year wet it a bit and put a couple of dozen worms in it. Keep it in a very dark area that has some ventilation and that 2 dozen worms can last all summer. I will add bedding as it breaks down over the season. Worms have baby worms too. You want to clean the box well in the fall, really well with just water, no chemical cleaners.

So it sounds like it's time to test the kool-aid or even mint jell-o to the bedding to see and run a side by side test and give feedback?

The soft shell crabs here on Erie are 1/2 blue. They will slay them if blue I think. Now how to get the worms 1/2 blue?

Really thanks for all the feedback. I know to tell them to shop around for green worms. I know it would kill me to pay that for a dozen worms. But I'll pay more for Live Target that never caught a fish except me.

I can pay a kid to dig up my yard and if someone pays me a buck a worm I can buy another yard and a Bob Cat. My neighbour sells them for 2 bucks a bakers dozen, best price in town. He picks the golf course at night with his little head lamp on. I remember driving buy the golf course in the neighbourhood I grew up in and you would see a dozen lights going along the fairways side by each. They brought the ladies in by the van load.

LOL, memories, when I was young dad had me and my brothers at a local park collecting nightcrawlers before our Canadian vacations.

I was given a fathers day gift of the green worm bedding in a fiber worm box. You put the worms into the bedding and the dye in the worm food turns them green. That part worked fine. The problem is that the green worms poop has the dye in it, and it stains whatever touches it. Worms didn't catch any more fish either. I still use the fibre worm box though. You soak it in water, put some moss in it and it keeps worms better while out on the boat than the styrofoam boxes you buy em in.

Fibre worm box, Dad used one of these in the 60's and I used them though my life, unfortunately the last one I put under the van rather than inside to keep it cool while steelheading on a river and forgot about it when I drove off :wallbash: I concur, they were the best, never used the ground newspaper bedding stuff, found sphagnum moss the best, NOT PEAT MOSS.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=oberlin+bait+canteen&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG-vT8-6vVAhWI7YMKHdnUDZUQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=638