AKRISONER's Semi Annual Year in Review

AKRISONER

My last report ended with the autumn fish run that makes pointe au baril a premium Ontario fishing location, personal bests were caught and some personal therapy was had. As the leaves fell and the nights got long, the trophies fishing team and I had an itch...an itch that can only be scratched in a few selected places around the world and as lucky Canadians we are indeed in one of those places...we longed for hard water.

So once again without further adieu I present to you AKRISONERS (EH-KREE-ONE-ERS) semi annual year in review.

As most of you can remember, December came with a bang, could you believe it? We're we going to be on the ice in southern Ontario before Christmas? The forecast told us yes..the transition from fishing on soft water with no snow in the cold, to fishing in a winter wonderland was about a week, our lake locked up...but then dread set in as Georgian bay started squalling like crazy, dumping over a foot of snow on our new fresh layer of ice...what we were left with was literally 6 inches of the worst ice I have ever seen. If you could even call it ice...but the boys and I were bound and determined to wet lines through a hole, so on came the lifejackets, the ropes and ice picks...we walked to the dock and hopped on, strolled out to the end of the dock and I attempted to punch a hole with my spud...yup it went right through as if the ice wasn't even there.

We punched holes and sat on the dock, not marking a damn thing..I knew that we needed to be about 10 yards out from the dock...I said screw it...I tied off and got ready to fall through...shimmying at first in an army crawl, then slowly standing...I sunk a bit...but didn't go through! We were in business. Yes that ice was as bad as it looks, yes I was literally 50 yards from a heated winterized cottage.

badice.jpg

Where we walked proceeded to pack and freeze up the top layer of ice...we spent three days absolutely hammering pike, unfortunately no big girls came to play but the numbers were ridiculous. The funniest bit was when our tip ups went off, watching eachother gingerly make our way to the tip up while trying not to fall through the ice.

tipup.jpg

Winter locked in the snow came down heavy...winter was shaping up to be the "traditional Canadian winter" that everyone thought we were going to get

squally.jpg

My family christmas was on boxing day so much to my buddy's jealousy i spent christmas morning 2016 by myself jigging pike in PAB with not a soul to be seen.

Some time in January I exchanged messages with a nick from the forums, we agreed to exchange some spots. My fellow trophies teammate dave is absolutely crappie obsessed...i don't even know why, he doesn't eat a lot of fish but regardless he wanted to try get some crappie through the ice.

Having never been able to solve the crappie equation in pointe au baril and in 12 years of fishing the area we had literally never even seen one never mind caught one. We made our way out, caught a few but the day was fairly slow...then our worst nightmare happened, the weather changed and the ridiculous mid winter warm spell settled in. The weather was so poor it basically ruined the ice everywhere. Luckily somehow pointe au baril managed to somewhat stay cold. Our ice held up, but family day was a ridiculous day of sitting out in 14 degree sunny weather getting a sun burn.

We planned to try catch some pike and maybe a few pickerels if we were lucky. Set up camp and the unbelievable happened...I hear dave say "I'm on" it's a pickerel...sweet...but then dave screams OMG ITS A CRAPPIE! And proceeds to loose his bloody mind, I sprint out and we celebrate, the pointe au baril crappie skunk is over we are the master anglers after all lol!

crapnumerouno.jpg

Dave even landed a couple more, I caught a few pike and pickerel. As the sun set it was time to pack up...I proceeded to make my way to each tip up we had set...as a rule I always ensure I set the hook when I release them from the rod...the final tip up I reel up the slack and set the hook and holy crap my drag starts screaming.

Full_Size_Render2.jpg

it was a solid family day weekend. We wanted to test if it was just a fluke or whether or not this spot was as hot as it seemed... we went back and what do you know, almost immediately I hook into my first ever crappie

firstgbcrap.jpg

what you dont see is that i proceeded to step on a ridge and absolutely bail hard smashing my knee about 2 seconds after this photo, never dropped the fish though! it may have only had shaken baby syndrome

crapola.jpg

We proceeded to catch a few more throughout the day the spot was legit...it was time to plan a full solid day trying to snag these fish...plans were made and the following weekend was one for the books We ended up catching close to 30 crappies plus pickerels and pikes

icecrap.jpg

One thing for sure is that the pickerel are still spawning strong plenty of these little guys were kicking around

lileye.jpg

As winter wore down...the itch to throw a cast grew stronger by the day, but what happened was astonishing. Our ice nearly completely thawed with a big rain storm, what were left with was a massive pile of slush with a water layer 4 inches thick...you couldn't even walk on the ice safely...but then the unthinkable happened, a set of -25 nights froze the lake completely solid...we literally ended up with the best ice I had ever seen in pointe au baril and it was the middle of march!

X567Dvd.jpg

What also happened for the first time in my life was that we were left with a lake that was perfectly flooded, hard and smooth...forget fishing it was time to skate on my 100 acre hockey rink

skating.jpg

5wOejXp.jpg

I found some spare time to finish up a 4 sitting tattoo project, my pike and was finally full complete, I couldn't be more happy with the results

S0a4tye.jpg

The itch to cast was growing stronger and the ice didn't seem to have any ideas of going away...we started thinking about finally doing something we had talked for years about doing. I started checking out the logistics...and holy was it feasible...it was time to go to Alabama

Planning on towing the boat down some work on the trailer was needed, change the wheel bearings, pretty err up, swap a tail light, minor details...so I thought...as someone commented in my trailer bearing debacle thread, no good deed goes unpunished...while hammering in my new races for the bearings with the proper race punch tool, I take a swing to watch my entire hub crack in half and shatter...and to make matters worse after phone calls and hour long drives to parry sound and back...my hub was going to need to be ordered from the states and we were outta time. The whole trip was basically toast...we went for a fish, broke some ice at least that was going to calm me down a bit, and as luck would have it we even found some more crappies holding near their winter pattern but this time on the Ultra lights...good times I was at least in an ok mood.

springcraps.jpg

birdlakehike.jpg

My friend mike steps up makes a pile of calls and found us a boat...we were back in business 4 days before we were scheduled to leave.

Gear is packed, we hop in the ram and begin our drive south at 2am, destination guntersville. The further we drive south I swear to god we feel like we are going back in time a little bit

drivingsouth.jpg

A stop at dicks sporting goods in Nashville tells us two things...Canadians get ripped off by the fishing industry and we just are ok with it ($11 spools of 300yard power pro, 2 for $10 live target swim baits, $3 original chatterbaits i could go on)

The best part about Nashville though for those who haven't been are the many plentiful sights...and the accent just makes it that much more incredible. We reluctantly continued on our way all agreeing that we could easily end up married there over a weekend hahaha.

A bit weary having been on the road for 14 hours straight, we had no idea what to expect as we proceeded to northern Alabama...the drive through the Midwest/rust belt had not been very eventful to say the least but all of sudden the world around us changed...we wondered if we had pulled a dumb and dumber and drove east into the Appalachians instead of south...southern Tennessee and Alabama were incredibly mountainous? And absolutely ridiculously gorgeous??? Us Canadian boys were confused but pleased...look at this bloody place!

alabamastateline.jpg

drivein2.jpg

drivein1.jpg

Pulling into guntersville state park we were greeted by some of the friendliest folks you could imagine, it was late, we were late but they were just ridiculously accommodating and welcoming. Southern hospitality was a theme, it's the real deal every person we met in Alabama was helpful, friendly, welcoming and just plain nice.

We set up camp, tied up our rods, crushed a couple pops and hit the bed as images of 10lb toads danced through our heads

I woke up to a rumble, a megaphone and some more loud roars that only a highly tuned 2 stroke could make. Weary we crawled from our tents, the sun not quite up, we looked to the lake to see what looked like ants floating about. I took a stroll closer to see what we knew. Basscat was having their annual owners invitational. I don't know if I will see as many high end bass boats for the rest of my entire life. Luckily guntersville is a big lake. The pressure wasn't too bad after all.

basscat.jpg

Breakfast in us we headed to the town creek fishing center where we met a gentleman hailing from Minnesota who claimed he was so happy to finally hear someone talk like us again, he then proceeded to note every time I said eh and tease me about it, we shared some laughs. The guys told us some ideas for fishing and we were on our way.

daveguntersville.jpg

guntersvillelookinforfish.jpg

Pulling up to our first spot I had to unsheath my new custom top water rod made by DUnamis rods with a new reel, I had been waiting to throw a cast with that combo since January! Within 4 casts I hooked up...a 1lber but none the less we figured a good sign let the fishing commence.

What proceeded for the next two hours was a punishing tough bite some nibbles but not what we expected.

The scenery was good though

gutnersvilleweeds.jpg

guntersvillescene.jpg

I even caught mike looking into the bird man's eyes...such is the result (ask me about the bird man game, it's a good one)

birdman.jpg

We then finally located some bass

blackbassguntersville.jpg

Where I then proceeded to notice something struggling in the shoreline brush...it was a bird and it was in distress. Realizing it was a commorant I pondered whether or not to save it, but then I saw the fishing line wrapped around its wing and I decided nothing deserves to die like that and as a fisherman I took responsibility for it. The neatest part about this was that once the bird realized I was trying to help it, it literally calmed down and just let me do what I needed to do. I was even able to loosen the grip on its neck while i cut away the line.

We then proceeded to pick off a few more fish but then the slow period continued. It was now the afternoon and we didn't have a fish over 4lbs. Where the heck were the 10lbers?!

We moved spots, right into a promising bay behind a tournament boat, and proceeded to land some more bass even though the tournament guys caught nothing.

guntersvillebass.jpg

But that concluded our day of catching. We didn't know what to make of it. We went in, grabbed some food, and headed out for the evening bite where we proceeded to get skunked fishing some of the best looking timber and glass calm conditions you've ever seen. I felt like I was in a video game, the structure was so good and conditions so perfect but only the odd gar would blow our baits up, never landing any.

guntersvilletimber.jpg

topwat.jpg

A bit rattled we went McDonald's, impressed some of the local ladies we got a lot of looks ;) laughed our butts off when dave said about one local "she puts the gunt in guntersville" and headed to bed

The next day we tried some more local techniques in prime areas tried ripping lipless cranks over grass, drop shotting deep holes anything! Hooked up with a few lost a few more..and wouldn't you know it, our damn trip was over! Parked the boat and sure enough the heat gave out and a massive storm system rolled in. Sure enough tornado warnings started popping up to the north and south of us, We battened down the hatches and headed into town for some barbecue. The storm hit and we was a doozy. I've only seen rain like that a few times before. Some impressive downbursts as well did a bit of damage in the park. We were in for a soggy night, especially because my tent in it's old age had lost the majority of its waterproofing. I woke up basically floating on my small air mattresses in my tent lol

storm.jpg

3 Canadian boys soaked, and defeated by Alabama, but not really the laughs and ability to wear shorts and t shirts bass fishing in April made it worth it!

Home we headed, there were pike to catch and catch we did as the season opened up here

davespike.jpg

scottspike.jpg

I even managed to nab a couple of brookies on the fly in a local stream that shall not be named a first for me

Soon enough one of the happiest days of the year arrived the kawarthas bass opener, and for it my good friend's dad was hosting a small family tournament.

My team lobster partner jake was providing the boat. The locals all had their standard plan but I was thinking outside the box, we had other ideas to chase quality fish over quantity.

We headed out the Friday before opener and scouted our spots and sure enough we were seeing fish still on the beds lounging up shallow, our game plan was to run to pigeon and find big smallies and then find green kickers in the last hour and a half.

We headed out and I immediately landed a brown one...good omen? I then had blow ups on my next two casts...this was gonna be easy...or so I thought. we then proceeded to get skunked for the next two hours. Those bedded fish were gone?! when we decided to pitch some near by grass. The chatterbait Yanked our second fish out of the grass but we were already 3 hours in i called an audible and we started pitching docks on a rocky shoreline...my partner now almost 4 hours into a 7 hour tournament without a bite! When he gets a hit and it buries him and we almost lose it in the ensuing battle. We land it celebrate Jakes pb 4.9lb smallie and continue on our way picking off another fish We are now at 4 fish but we've got an hour and a half left. We head back to buckhorn and start aggressively hammering shorelines and bays with 10 minutes left the chatterbait gets slammed we've go the kicker we were looking for another 4lb largie. We get to the docks and the guys start telling us about how they began culling an hour in...uh oh? We didn't cull at all lol.

Didnt matter we had two fish worthy of the big fish trophy and won the total weight by 4lbs

Trophy reads that we are the master baiters

winner.jpg

trophy_winners.jpg

then some big storms rolled through that brought those tornadoes to barrie and ended the evening bite

stormykawarthas.jpg

The following week I took a week off of work to fish the g bay opener. I'll just let the photos do the talking. I broke 5lbs for the first time on opening day

5lbers.jpg

baggedsmallies.jpg

davessmalliesmall.jpg

smaljaws.jpg

smallyyys.jpg

smalliesspots.jpg

moresmallies.jpg

smallsssss.jpg

The guys headed home for the first 4 days of the work week while i stayed up north just me and my dog..perhaps better than the fishing was just hanging out enjoying the quiet beauty.

PAB_beauty.jpg

cashmanshake.jpg

dave caught the cottages first gar and we found some stacked up largies that had us hit a second 20lb bag in a week.

gar.jpg

largemouth.jpg

The new helix got installed too, autochart live is fun!

autchartlive.jpg

the dock fly fishing for pike was on fire too, its a great way to practice casting and catching!

my first pike on the fly

pikeonfly.jpg

and one of many more

fightpikeonthefly.jpg

The guys came back and we spent another few beauty evenings slapping smallies

sunrainbow.jpg

sunset_PAB.jpg

PABcoloursunset.jpg

10 years ago my neighbors used to tell me stories about how in the 80's you could park a boat at our boat house and we would laugh about the concept with Georgian Bay reaching all time low water levels...the rebound has found me spending the last two weekends I have been up there fixing docks to bring them back up to today's water levels...this has also meant I havent been fishing!! ughhh

The totally unthinkable

highwater.jpg

My next planned adventure has me going to Barry's bay and some more tournaments in the near future...I can't believe summer is half over?

Till next time, thanks for reading

Edited by AKRISONER

Nice recap, some beauty fish, and some scenic landscape pics.

This past winter I also had the rare occasion when the lake was glare ice, hard and smooth. I agree, when that happens, screw fishing. Strap the blades on, slap the puck and go chase it.

Edited by chris.brock

Great pictures and report! LOL Even Cormorants need a rescue ranger!

It was the least i could do for the poor thing...i thought it would bring some better karma...although we did catch and some of the locals got skunked during the basscat tourney so i guess it did? But where the heck was the size!!!

Nice recap, some beauty fish, and some scenic landscape pics.

This past winter I also had the rare occasion when the lake was glare ice, hard and smooth. I agree, when that happens, screw fishing. Strap the blades on, slap the puck and go chase it.

its easy to lose pucks when your slapshot goes a kilometer lol we started a game where we started passing pucks back and forth 300 meters from eachother lol

Awesome! Is that 5 of diamonds your fav pike lure?

It was...and it is again after this spring...I honestly dont think anything outfishes a spoon in for shallow spring pike.

the choice to get it tattooed goes way further than that though...first of all the first fish i ever caught totally by myself when i was about 12 years old was on a 5 of diamonds in manitoba...5 and im not exaggerating, 5 30+inch pike followed my spoon right to the dock...thats manitoba for ya

2nd of all my immediate family is 5 people...hence 5 of diamonds

3rd my birth stone is a diamond im an april kid

and finally, my PB pike came on the 5 of diamonds..and really catching that fish is pretty much where i think my total obsession with fishing began. I was out with my dad, brother and his kid on May 24 and watched a 20+ lber swipe at my spoon in 6 fow...miss and then swim a loop and come back and smash it about 5 yards from the boat right infront of me...pun intended I was hooked on fishing from that point on.

Great report and as mentioned above, the pics are really good. I want to go to Guntersville now.

im sure youve read on the BBC guntersville has had its day and the fishing has been very tough in recent years...guys are all saying kentucky or the carolinas will provide much better fishing. I would go back to alabama for everything but the fishing to be honest.

" It was the least i could do for the poor thing...i thought it would bring some better karma...although we did catch and some of the locals got skunked during the basscat tourney so i guess it did? But where the heck was the size!!! "

Nice job though, why let an animal suffer? even if it isn't a popular animal?

You guys went there, an unknown big body of water, with severe time constraints, pretty hard to expect fantastic results? Even Kevin Van Damn doesn't win every tournament?

25 years of going to PAB for me and the results could vary widely! but it was always fun! LOL and not so far of a drive!

That there is one beauty of a report. You are doing great and I hope you have many more years to hit any kind of water you will find. Whether hard, soft, clear, murky just find the water and there be fish under it. Way to go Akree.

I have travelled to Birmingham a few times, love the food and love the folk. Don't love the 100F humid days though, especially in the Steel Plants. It isn't easy to get to know people in a week or even less, especially doing business. Start talking about catching fish and the looks on peoples faces and energy levels change drastically. Like someone turned on that invisible switch of sports fishing. It can bring strangers of all races, creeds, and cultures together like life long friends.

Keep it up. I demand you now hit the Keys, if you have never been go.

" It was the least i could do for the poor thing...i thought it would bring some better karma...although we did catch and some of the locals got skunked during the basscat tourney so i guess it did? But where the heck was the size!!! "

Nice job though, why let an animal suffer? even if it isn't a popular animal?

You guys went there, an unknown big body of water, with severe time constraints, pretty hard to expect fantastic results? Even Kevin Van Damn doesn't win every tournament?

I guess we just expected that in two days we would be able to find at least one big one...youd think on a lake with 10lb bass that a 5 would be manageable over 20 something hours of fishing...turns out the biggest fish caught in that 350 boat tournament was 6 lbs..so thats somewhat disappointing. We actually did see a smallmouth dead that was floating, it was bloated, but so the hell what...it woulda easily ran 8lbs no problem...that was insane to see.

Beauty Report. Love the Ink!

Im very happy with it, my artist is awesome!

Sweet report dude.

Really like this pic. CLASSIC

I actually didnt provide any explanation to it either...we went on a hike to an inland lake by following that river, got to the lake and it was still totally locked up...rumour has it theres smallmouth in it and only one cabin on it. We are very intrigued to go back some day. Itd be a lot tougher though in the summer with growth and bugs!

Nice pics of fish and the scenery too. I know your drooling over that gar. "Only if it hit my lure instead" lol. Next time

funny thing about that, the bay we were in trying to find largies was absolutely loaded with gar in <5FOW...we were seeing huge 40 inch gar everywhere. One even came and nibbled on my senko earlier...I still dont know how dave managed to hook up with that one throwing a wacky rig?!

Nice report! Funny you get a 5lber here where they're rare, and no biggies where they're supposed to be plentiful

its taken me hundreds of fish and years to finally break 5...its like theres a wall at 4 lbs. I catch them weekly, but 5's are nowhere to be found.

That there is one beauty of a report. You are doing great and I hope you have many more years to hit any kind of water you will find. Whether hard, soft, clear, murky just find the water and there be fish under it. Way to go Akree.

I have travelled to Birmingham a few times, love the food and love the folk. Don't love the 100F humid days though, especially in the Steel Plants. It isn't easy to get to know people in a week or even less, especially doing business. Start talking about catching fish and the looks on peoples faces and energy levels change drastically. Like someone turned on that invisible switch of sports fishing. It can bring strangers of all races, creeds, and cultures together like life long friends.

Keep it up. I demand you now hit the Keys, if you have never been go.

This is why we went in April lol..i hate the heat, and recent heat warnings still pop up on my phone for guntersville...ill pass on the 42 degree days with 80% humidity thanks

I fished Isla Blanca in mexico a couple of years back and hooked into some tarpon, baracuda and snapper! I also narrowly missed out on some permit! I coulda grand slammed easily on my first day fishing the flats. I need to go back to the ocean though and do it with the fly rod! Saltwater fish are a whole different ball game.

thanks guys, not sure if I will post another for a long while..not many people seem to care too much these days for the amount of work it takes to put one of these together, itd be almost easier to just have a conversation one on one with the few people that view the reports haha.

I guess im just not political enough :P

Edited by AKRISONER

This is a heckuva report man! The after dinner coffee got kinda cold getting through it! Geeeez, these guys that write a tonne and post pics!!

Kill the cormorants. lol

Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing man! That's alotta cool experiences wrapped up into a half season. You're lucky to have such close buds to share that with ya too.

Nice to see the tattoo finished up.

you guys have convinced me to continue on with the process thanks for the comments.

Bunk...dont even get me started about lengths of reports! I risk getting fired from my job every time i read through one of yours...hours of tales of monster fish is just too good not to read. Im still only half way through your most recent one!

thanks again guys

Edited by AKRISONER