Trolling Lake O with a kayak!

popofish!

I've been trying out some Lake O trolling from my kayak for the first time this year. Considering I have no trolling experience whatsoever, I've managed to get into some fish almost every trip out so far. Aside from one 15lb chinook, I've yet to catch a larger salmon this year. I'm hoping it will happen sooon enough. I'm learning as I go. Here are some pictures. Enjoy!

V6RGS4Z.jpg

yZkAn1e.jpg

gZrwt9p.jpg

Edited by pop-vlado

It's pretty rewarding. You don't have the benefit of being in a large boat but you are much more involved in the trolling process. Especially if you are paddling like myself. A lot of guys have foot paddles and trolling motors so it makes things even easier.

Welcome to the board pv

What is your set up for trolling ?

How fast do you think you were paddling ?

Nice fish

As you can see in my avatar, I am a float boat guy as well. I do want to head down and give it a try. I like to fish GB casting.

Edited by Misfish

Welcome to the board pv

What is your set up for trolling ?

How fast do you think you were paddling ?

Nice fish

As you can see in my avatar, I am a float boat guy as well. I do want to head down and give it a try. I like to fish GB casting.

I use a torpedo diver clipped directly to my line to get my baits down anywhere from 30ft to 70ft. Right now I have 4oz and 8oz torpedo divers. They are fairly good when it comes to resistance. So far I've caught all my fish on straight spoons but I am starting to get into flasher/flies in hope of catching a bigger salmon. I use a Navionics phone app to measure my speed, which is generally around 2.5-2.8mph. Eventually I got the hang of how fast I need to go without anything but I still like the app because I can track my movements and mark where I've caught fish.

Edited by pop-vlado

That's awesome I'd love to catch one from a kayak. Please put a big flag on your kayak . You guys are really hard to see untill the last min during dawn and dusk.

I'm working on putting up a flag and lighting system right now. For now I'm just staying off the water when visibility is not good.

I use a torpedo diver clipped directly to my line to get my baits down anywhere from 30ft to 70ft. Right now I have 4oz and 8oz torpedo divers. They are fairly good when it comes to resistance. So far I've caught all my fish on straight spoons but I am starting to get into flasher/flies in hope of catching a bigger salmon. I use a Navionics phone app to measure my speed, which is generally around 2.5-2.8mph. Eventually I got the hang of how fast I need to go without anything but I still like the app because I can track my movements and mark where I've caught fish.

Might be a tad slow for chinooks. I think 3mph+ is preferred. But I'm sure you're somewhat limited on a kayak :(.

jeremy84 As you can see from some of the pictures, I am very careful to plan each trip out so that I am on the water only when the lake is dead calm. I track the wind and know when I can go out and when to stay home. Besides the safety aspect, it's just more enjoyable being on the water when there are no waves.

Edited by pop-vlado

Sterling I can go faster than 3mph. So far most of my hits have come at that 2.5mph speed. I am still learning when it comes to that though. Last time I tried trolling a flasher/fly and ended up with a big tangled mess :wallbash: I assumed it was because I was going too fast. Would you just troll straight spoons 3+mph or everything?