What is Wrong with People.....Updated Good Guys Win

FloatnFly

The trout unlimited article sucks. Plus he spelled "Ottowa" wrong.

Just because AP looks huge, from your computer screen in Idaho, not all of it is inaccessible, or true 'wilderness', plus that's not event the point, that was just his lazy point. The Algonquin natives net some lakes, and this lake would certainly get an influx of visitors were it's name released.

Maybe Mike and his son agreed to keep the lake's name a secret... let's see, keep a promise to your son, or try your darnedest to not offend some deep trout thinkers?? hmmm??

Chris Hunt sounds like an elite-elitist. Taking someone else's point only to make a lackluster point of his own wasn't very inspiring.

Or maybe I'm getting all riled up for nothing... hahaha, this is why I try to avoid comment sections and msg boards :D

For a writer and national director of communications with TU that Chris guy is a twit. This line really gets me. ""How important is it to protect this particular destination when, it would seem, the area is riddled with trophy trout"
You would think that the guy would know something about AP, as it's world renowned. Now sure there are tons of trout lakes in the park, but it sure isn't riddled with trophy lakes like he implies. What an idiot. Soon as you start assuming things without actually knowing it all you do is lose credibility.

Cheers

As big a wanker as the guy is, and despite the pain in the butt he's caused Mike, I can't think of another thing that would have given Mike the media exposure that this did. I hope this generates more business for Mike and expands his opportunities.

A great point Grimsby. Good press or bad press Mike wouldn't have been able to reach as many individuals with millions of US greenbacks in marketing it would have cost him. Maybe a Super Bowl commercial.

This guy Chris Hunt is a twitus duffus extraordinairious (Latin for a big numb skull) . To think he is a trout guru is a joke. After all Algonquin is jam packed with world class trout lakes. Something that struck me he says there are over 2500 lakes in the park with "dozens" of rivers and streams, "dozens". Sometimes I don't think these journalists re read the stuff they write let alone an editor. Grammar, spelling and using a short form or an entire word rather than an acronym, at least once at the beginning of an article, seems to be a lost art. I think we learned that in 8th grade.

I had to edit because I re read what I rote.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

mike has now got his own thread on the US bass boats forum and was featured in the conservative tribune!

http://conservativetribune.com/man-refused-to-locate-fishing-hole/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=WesternJournalism&utm_content=2017-08-08&utm_campaign=manualpost

As grimsby said, you hope this exposure makes it all worth it for the headache that mike is dealing with.

Edited by AKRISONER

I can now imagine that now the whole fishing world is now drawing attention to Algonquin park.....I bet there is people booking trips there that would never even have heard about the trout fishing in Algonquin park never mind the trohys that do lurk there.....there will be a few amaerican fishing shows probly on the way there as we speak.....

I can now imagine that now the whole fishing world is now drawing attention to Algonquin park.....I bet there is people booking trips there that would never even have heard about the trout fishing in Algonquin park never mind the trohys that do lurk there.....there will be a few amaerican fishing shows probly on the way there as we speak.....

Yep!

Although, im happy for Mike. He's played his cards extremely well IMO

Right or wrong, when this guy requested the location; I would have PMed the guy and tell him the wrong lake.

Mike likely knows of some dead water somewhere, that could be reached in the same time frame as the real location.

Let the putz go on his happy way.

Dan.

Right or wrong, when this guy requested the location; I would have PMed the guy and tell him the wrong lake.

Mike likely knows of some dead water somewhere, that could be reached in the same time frame as the real location.

Dan.

he doesn't know who the guy is, that information is private. the guys buddy apparently sent him a message though

from Mikes facebook page

"I strongly suspect that the person who filed the FOI claim is reading this. To you I have this to say.

A friend of yours has suggested publicly that "Going to the press with this is only going to give others this idea to request under FOI. Should have left it alone and it would be a one off. Not everyone is as smart as my buddy."

If you truly believe that what you did was fair and within your rights then don't hide, identify yourself. Some may vilify you, but others will likely praise you. What you did was certainly legal, there's no arguing that.

So reveal yourself. I don't like what you did, but I'll certainly respect you a lot more if you man up and come forward."

I get the frustration with the writers and interviewer but something to keep in mind is that not everyone has our level of understanding about this subject, so an interviewer has to sometimes ask what would appear to be silly questions to us.

• Jeremy Pooler

I personally know the guy who submitted the FOI request. He like myself are just a couple of guys that are trout crazy. The people I roll with respect the park and the fish in it. Only keeping to eat inside the park. Not to limit out and leave again and again. Who wamts to eat a 7lb brookie anyway? Take a pic and release. The only reason these lakes exist is the great lengths one must goto to get into these back lakes of Algonquin. Going to the press with this is only going to give others this idea to request under FOI. Should have left it alone and it would be a one off. Not everyone is as smart as my buddy.« less

https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.pooler.3/media_set?set=a.10154017774431047.1073741830.685001046&type=3

• Jeremy Pooler

I personally know the guy who submitted the FOI request. He like myself are just a couple of guys that are trout crazy. The people I roll with respect the park and the fish in it. Only keeping to eat inside the park. Not to limit out and leave again and again. Who wamts to eat a 7lb brookie anyway? Take a pic and release. The only reason these lakes exist is the great lengths one must goto to get into these back lakes of Algonquin. Going to the press with this is only going to give others this idea to request under FOI. Should have left it alone and it would be a one off. Not everyone is as smart as my buddy.« less

https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.pooler.3/media_set?set=a.10154017774431047.1073741830.685001046&type=3

Smart enough to not have a clue what I was talking about... or what you're even talking about. Your smart "buddy" can roll out a map and work for his spots. That's how guys who are trout crazy roll.

Dan.

yup. make him hump his gear to another lake. but it better be a slow producing lake lol

Can you imagine the damage that could be done by some disgruntled or mentally unbalanced Ministry employee that has access to Mike's record of his trip if he or she decided to "leak" Mikes itinerary?

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. There are a ton of lakes in The Park and most people aren't willing to hump their gear more than a couple of well marked portages. Take a deer trail to an unnamed lake and yer golden ;) but make sure you have a good topo and compass lol

Edited by woodenboater

It sure is a shame that this lake might be outed but... if ever it does...

1-Most fishermen are way too lazy to do the hard work and spend all that time to get to this lake.

2-Once at the lake in question, most fishermen don't have Mike's fishing skills.

Trophy brook trout are very difficult to catch. Just because you fish a trophy lake doesn't mean you'll ever be lucky enough to land one or even get one to bite. That lake was on fire when Mike was there but he also knows what he's doing...something that often gets overlooked I think.

Yup---it would be unlikely to repeat Mike's success. As you said, skill, but I'm sure he would admit that they were lucky in their timing as well. He seems to be quite fit with lots of stamina as well---a prereq for tackling that type of trip. I totally agree that he should name the lake, but if it was revealed and it needs a bushwhack to get there as well as many ports not many would try it.

• 2 weeks later...

• Jeremy Pooler

Your buddy submitted the FOI eh? lol sure. We aren't that stupid. I'm glad you didn't get the info, heaven forbid you have to work to get great fishing spots.

• 5 weeks later...

And it continues...

On the Algonquin Adventures website, they have a thread "where in Algonquin?" where people post pictures and others guess the spot.

I copied this from the thread-

Just a brief interjection. A complaint was received about a following "Where In Algonquin?" post.

"Hey Barry, or Moderator, someone took a screenshot of Solopaddler's father & son fishing trip video report and posted it in the "Where in Algonquin" in an effort to find his fishing hole. Clever, but a little too greasy for my taste."

I've verified that the image was "lifted" from the video in question. The motivation of the poster doesn't appear in keeping with the spirit of the forum. As a result, I've deleted that thread.