Eating largemouth bass...

smithy97

I caught a lm bass about a 2 weeks ago that got stung in the gill. I tried to let it go, but just laid on the surface and wouldn't recover in the livewell. I couldn't waste it, so I brought it home, filleted it, and sprinkled my special fish spice I brought home from St Martins on both sides. Left it over night in the fridge then prepared it as I do panfish. It was amazing.

I sure hope that bass don't become the next table fair target though!

a two pound pike is not worth the trouble. a 27 inch pike IS worth the trouble.

a two pound bass is delicious.

Doug

Yeah, I usually keep 24"-27". Lotsa great meat on those

Not sure I could even fillet a 2lber lol

I keep more pike than walleye these days. It's just easier and they seem so plentiful. Nice firm flesh too

We keep pike from 24"-30" and they are great to eat. They are fun to catch and eat for sure. I know some people don't like catching pike but I enjoy targeting them here and there.

I Target them too but the lakes I fish it's inevitable to catch many per day

Super plentiful up this way

Bigger pike are so much easier to clean, a low 40s pike has lots of meat on it :) My oldman loves them.

I agree, but I like to leave the breeders. I don't like to waste meat so I filet the "normal" way and leave the y bones in. Just take them out while you eat. They are easy to find because they are all in a row. Its easier on larger fish. On a smaller one, they are small and fine so its a bit of a pain.

We would take the strip of Y bones from a Northern, put them in a food processor with egg, bread crumbs and spices and blend it. Made fish cakes and you would never find a Y bone. Waste nothing. It's amazing to find some that keep Walleye don't know about the cheeks. Can't remember trying Pike cheeks though.