Eating largemouth bass...

smithy97

Just curious who keeps the odd largemouth for a meal. I've never done it, but I'm curious to try. Are smallmouth better tasting? I'm going on a camping trip soon where there's lots of largemouth to be had, and if they are good eating I'd love to try them. Any recommendations for cooking the fillets over an open fire?

Watch for worms. Especially if it isn't a deep/cold lake.

I don't eat them or smallies. But I've had too a few times and it's def. Not like a crappie

If it's a cold lake, I cannot see why cooking in a tinfoil bag with butter and seasoning of your choice wouldn't at least be edible

I believe the biggest reason that people don't eat bass is because they are notorious for the yellow grub parasite. I have heard of people keeping them and picking the odd grub here and there from the fillets. I've also heard of people being very disappointed to find that their fillets are so grubby that they end up throwing them away.

LargeMouth Bass is actually one of my favourite fish to eat! I don't bother with Smallies due to the likelihood of yellow grubs. I have never had a grub problem with LM Bass. I don't keep the big ones, but the smaller 1 1/2 to 2 pounders are best.

Edited by Rattletrap2

For warm water largies it's all in the preparation...

Fillet the fish

Get a cedar board and soak it in water

Oil it well with olive oil and rub it down with your favourite spices

Put the fish on it and BBQ 5-6 mins each side

Remove from the heat

Throw the fish away and eat the board.

:)

Lol grimsbylander haha! Seems like a mixed bag of thoughts of this one, I think I'll give it a try to see for myself. The deepfried method suggested by chris.brock sounds worth a try to me. Thanks for everybody's feedback!

Also do yellow grubs make you sick?

As long as they are cooked, you should be fine. They are also easy to pick out. Unless the fish is full of them you should be able to avoid eating any.

I have eaten large mouth; I think they taste pretty good.

Edited by JohnBacon

In your situation readily available and no other species available Largemouth it is.

Most of my fishing crappie, bluegills,rockbass,walleye, perch and now pike are readily available.

So to answer your question I've eaten largemouth and smallmouth just not often and they where good..

I believe 100% catch and release to open the door for aunt ie s .

Wow this is not what I expected! Small mouth bass are tasty.. Largies are a bit softer, especially in a bigger fish.

A big 3lb small will have much better meat than a 3lb large.

Ideally those nice little eater size fish around a 1.5lb are pretty similar in size and taste.

I ate a 5lb large from a deep lake a year ago. Wouldn't do that again, flesh was too soft.

None of this worm stuff but I don't think I eat fish from south of say Huntsville very often.

pops eats the odd 1-2lb smallie outta georgian bay. He says they taste pretty darn good. You do get the odd grub in em.

I dont really eat fish much so theres no way that when i do eat fish its gonna be bass. Ill stick with pickerel if I am going to eat it thanks.

I've had SMB but thought it was pretty bad to be honest. However, I'm sure it was the new batter I used as it tasted very greasy which threw me off. I prefer not frying fish which I haven't done with bass so I should probably give it another chance before saying it's bad. The thing is, there is usually better fish to be had for cooking.

Is there pike where you're going? If so keep the hammer handles, take out the Y bones and they are as good tasting as walleye imo.

When filleting bass, you should be removing what we have called the mud-line. Don't know what it's really called: but it runs up the center of the fillet, starting at the tail end and goes about 1/3 the length. I believe that little bit of mussel, is what can give bass that harsh flavor.

Dan.

Not a very good picture.

Bass%20Fillet_zpsganivrgw.jpg

Edited by DanD

When filleting bass, you should be removing what we have called the mud-line. Don't know what it's really called: but it runs up the center of the fillet, starting at the tail end and goes about 1/3 the length. I believe that little bit of mussel, is what can give bass that harsh flavor.

Dan.

Not a very good picture.

Bass%20Fillet_zpsganivrgw.jpg

Lol even that fillet looks gross!

To each their own I spose

Largemouth are great eating fish, fry them in a cast iron with butter and oil in whatever breading mixture you like, nothing fancy. Shouldn't have to worry about the dark fatty 'muddy' meat on the pound and a half'ers, don't keep anything big and you'll have a great experience.

Wow lots of great feed back here! There are no pike where I'm going, but there are tons of lmb and crappies. I've never fished for crappie but I would sure try, and we'd try eating some for sure. There are walleyes there to but they are out in deeper water, and we are canoeing in to an island. Lots of shallow water around and looks like a ton of lmb spots. I think we'll try to cook some lmb in the 1.5lb range as a few people here suggest. I'll remove the mud line as well.

I guess it all comes down to the personal experience you've had and what your own taste buds tell you. We'll give it a try (and hopefully survive to tell the story haha!)

I will look more into crappie fishing since I've never targeted them before. Between a few nice crappies and a couple 1.5lb bass we should stay nicely fed.

Thanks for the help everyone! Feel free to keep any feedback coming.

Small mouth were always kept for eats during our camping years as young fellas. Firmer meat. I use to keep a few 2 pounders for my pop. We never ate a LM bass, so have no opinion on this. Been some years since I have eaten a bass. These days, just a fun C&R fish for me. In no way am I preaching. To each their own.

It has been sometime though, so maybe this fall once the water cools down, I will treat my pop to a few 2 pounders.

After all, they are there to catch and eat. :Gonefishing:

My favorite is Crappie followed by Channel Catfish in the 1-3 lb range. Both are deep fried and sanctified. I don't eat bass because I find them mushy for the most part. It might be because of how warm the water is down here. Crappie will bite small jigs trolled just below the light level penetration no deeper than 30% of the waters depth. I usually put 2 jigs 1/16 to1/8 oz jigs below a float (legal here) and slow troll till I catch a fish. I then throw out a marker and then a second marker 5ft further and back off the school. The floats will point to the place you caught the fish and then you can fish the edge of the school and work your way in till they scatter. Crappie will move up to feed but rarely move down to find food. Overcast days and night are the best time bright sunlight tends to drive them deep and are harder to catch. A light hand is needed when hooking and playing them they are nicknamed papermouths for a good reason. Enjoy the fishing and the meal.

Art