Fish Tank

Cjones19

Where did you get the green sunfish??

I had a summer job where we would net and electro shock fish. I would take the odd one home for my aquarium. No, it wasn't legal but no harm, no foul.

Another cool one I remember having was a small, native catfish called a Tadpole Madtom.

Another cool one I remember having was a small, native catfish called a Tadpole Madtom.

I grabbed a madtom once while catching minnows as a teenager. That was the most painful spine jab I ever received, way worse than that from a bullhead. Ouch.

My friend used to have Madtoms in his aquarium, they're probably a more interesting fish to have in an aquarium. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a couple native fish in an aquarium than some imported fish? If they get released, then they belong there... unlike a snakehead.

Many years ago I had a 100 gallon tank that I used to keep different fish in for a few months apiece. Had a largemouth for a while, which was pretty boring for the most part, it just kind of hung out in the weeds and never did much. Had a rock bass and then a yellow perch, both of which were much more animate and entertaining. The best was a smallmouth I kept for a while, it was completely psychotic. Minnows, goldfish, frogs, grasshoppers, you name it - anything that fell into that tank promptly got hammered.

It even attacked the cat. Part of the tank was covered, and the cat would sometimes sit up there and paw at the duck weed that was matted all over the water surface. A week or so after I got the smallmouth, the cat hopped up there like it sometimes would, and started pawing at the weeds. The smallmouth (about 8 inches long) lit up like a Christmas tree as soon as it saw the movement, fins all fully extended and the stripes on its sides went really dark. Cat pawed at another weed, and the bass let him have it. Talk about an awesome topwater hit! Cat freaked out and fell into the tank, splashing water and duck weed all over the place. I rushed over to rescue him, and as soon as my arm went into the water he dug in the claws and basically used me as a springboard. Wife walked in to see this soaking wet cat flying through the house, gallons of water and pond weed all over the wall and the carpet, and my arm bleeding like it went through a wood chipper. Good times!

I didn't keep the smallmouth for very long. Feeding it was a never-ending job. I'd toss a dozen full-size goldfish into the tank and five minutes later they would all be gone. Between the non-stop feeding and the endless maintenance to keep the tank clean and healthy, the whole business just consumed way too much time and I wound up getting rid of the tank a few months later.

At the time I asked a contact at the Maple MNR office about the legality of keeping fish, and it seemed to be kind of a grey area with them ... I was told anything in the tank counts toward your daily limit, and when getting rid of fish to make sure they go back into the same waterway they came from. Someone else told me I'd have to kill the fish rather than release them. I never did get a straight, definitive answer to any of it, which was one more reason to just give it up. It was fun, but keeping the tank and fish healthy really took a LOT of time.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

If the fish are purchased from a fish farm, I'm sure it'd be perfectly legal; no different than stocking a pond.

Lots of places around that cultivate bass (or other species) for stocking ponds etc.:

Http://www.facebook.com/Zephyr-Fish-Farm-191855486176157

http://www.ontarioaquaculture.net/fish-stocking/kinmount.php

Feeder fish from any pet store will get it done for eats...

Edited by darcyheitzner

If the fish are purchased from a fish farm, I'm sure it'd be perfectly legal; no different than stocking a pond.

Lots of places around that cultivate bass (or other species) for stocking ponds etc.:

Http://www.facebook.com/Zephyr-Fish-Farm-191855486176157

http://www.ontarioaquaculture.net/fish-stocking/kinmount.php

Feeder fish from any pet store will get it done for eats...

I'm pretty sure that's the only real legal way to have pet native fish in your tank besides "storing" baitfish in your aquarium (which may end up becoming illegal in a couple years anyways). I believe you need a receipt from the place of aquaculture as proof you didn't catch the fish out of the wild, it would be best to email the local MNRF office to confirm it though.

Now, realistically one could keep anything in a tank as long as you don't go gloating about it online or do anything that would make a CO want to check out your house. Of course it's proceed at your own risk, yea it's illegal and if caught you'll probably be losing some stuff along with getting fined, but at the same time I've never really heard of house raids for fish in an aquarium.

Go with African Cichlids, they have way more personality.

or Maybe Cichlids in General. According to Wikipedia, Angelfish, Oscar, Convict cichlid & Discus fish are the Most Popular Species for Aquariums. They're from South/Central America though with 2/4 of those being Native to the Amazon Basin (Amazon River & Tributaries) , Not Africa, I'm Not sure what Popular African Species would be.

I can't even imagine that. First time I grabbed a bullhead was the last lol. Felt like I got electrocuted

It's all in the grip. I've handled a couple thousand over the years, mostly caught by hand line, and I learned early as a kid. Had a few dandy infections, and those wounds are sore as hell and lasted a long time, even as a kid. There are three main methods I use, one grip from the front of the head for cleaning purposes which doesn't involve dealing with the dorsal spine, and one from the back of the head for hook removal which does involve dealing with the dorsal spine. In both cases the lateral spines are locked forward between the index and middle finger on one side of the fish and the thumb behind the other lateral spine. Basically like a three finger claw. This gives a real solid grip. The back of those lateral spines aren't smooth either so after a good whack of catching and cleaning fingers can get raw in spots, but that's a good sign lol. The trick with the rear grip is to start a bit forward and fold the dorsal spine back and down under your palm as you lock in with the claw. Then you're fine. Some times the same grip from under the jaw works well too after catching, which doesn't involve the dorsal either, but it's not as strong a grip.

The main precaution is to wait until they've settled down before putting the grip on them, that will prevent most spikings, as I call them. I will say that those 2-3lb black bullheads are way stronger so more care and a real strong grip is needed. I'm way more used to the smaller browns. Real simple and fast to clean too, under 10 sec easy and no t-bone left like you see in the stores

I'm actually surprised you don't spring fish at least for them up your way Rick, assuming they are up there. Great eating, freezes very well, no limits and usually lots of fish caught. Can be a great family event too, specially with a shoreline fire for the nite fish, bells on rods or hand lines ringing in the darkness and kids running to them... Fun times, it's often been a yearly social event with the guys over the years too as well as getting a years supply in the freezer during the spring run.

Cheers

It's all in the grip. I've handled a couple thousand over the years, mostly caught by hand line, and I learned early as a kid. Had a few dandy infections, and those wounds are sore as hell and lasted a long time, even as a kid. There are three main methods I use, one grip from the front of the head for cleaning purposes which doesn't involve dealing with the dorsal spine, and one from the back of the head for hook removal which does involve dealing with the dorsal spine. In both cases the lateral spines are locked forward between the index and middle finger on one side of the fish and the thumb behind the other lateral spine. Basically like a three finger claw. This gives a real solid grip. The back of those lateral spines aren't smooth either so after a good whack of catching and cleaning fingers can get raw in spots, but that's a good sign lol. The trick with the rear grip is to start a bit forward and fold the dorsal spine back and down under your palm as you lock in with the claw. Then you're fine. Some times the same grip from under the jaw works well too after catching, which doesn't involve the dorsal either, but it's not as strong a grip.

The main precaution is to wait until they've settled down before putting the grip on them, that will prevent most spikings, as I call them. I will say that those 2-3lb black bullheads are way stronger so more care and a real strong grip is needed. I'm way more used to the smaller browns. Real simple and fast to clean too, under 10 sec easy and no t-bone left like you see in the stores

I'm actually surprised you don't spring fish at least for them up your way Rick, assuming they are up there. Great eating, freezes very well, no limits and usually lots of fish caught. Can be a great family event too, specially with a shoreline fire for the nite fish, bells on rods or hand lines ringing in the darkness and kids running to them... Fun times, it's often been a yearly social event with the guys over the years too as well as getting a years supply in the freezer during the spring run.

Cheers

I probably should. Sounds fun anyhow

My experience came frog hunting. Seen one dosile in the water and just grabbed it. Huge mistake

Nice tips though! I'd be willing to give it a go

I never see them anymore during daylight though??? Always at night. They come almost right on shore

Edited by manitoubass2

The best was a smallmouth I kept for a while, it was completely psychotic. Minnows, goldfish, frogs, grasshoppers, you name it - anything that fell into that tank promptly got hammered.

It even attacked the cat. Part of the tank was covered, and the cat would sometimes sit up there and paw at the duck weed that was matted all over the water surface. A week or so after I got the smallmouth, the cat hopped up there like it sometimes would, and started pawing at the weeds. The smallmouth (about 8 inches long) lit up like a Christmas tree as soon as it saw the movement, fins all fully extended and the stripes on its sides went really dark. Cat pawed at another weed, and the bass let him have it. Talk about an awesome topwater hit! Cat freaked out and fell into the tank, splashing water and duck weed all over the place. I rushed over to rescue him, and as soon as my arm went into the water he dug in the claws and basically used me as a springboard. Wife walked in to see this soaking wet cat flying through the house, gallons of water and pond weed all over the wall and the carpet, and my arm bleeding like it went through a wood chipper. Good times!

Hahaha, too funny. :D