Fish Tank

Cjones19

Thinking of buying a 50 Gallon fish tank and putting a bass in it, but i am wondering what i should feed the bass, other then minnows, leeches, worms, bugs and beetles...

Hoping I am not the first idiot to try this and someone would be able to give me some decent advice

I'm not claiming to have any authority to say this BUT my first thought would be to check if regulations permit it? Seems I vaguely recall reading something about the big tank at Bass Pro but damned if the details are coming to me. Special permit maybe? Personally I can't see any reason not to other than possession limits (it would always count against your limit) or season (legal in the off season?) etc. Think I'd be calling the MNRF and asking them before undertaking the project.

As for feeding - lotsa minnows would be another guess, as would any of their natural forage. Would be neat to see it take on a frog!

Michael

Bass is a game fish so you probably need special permission. IE. how do you plan on acquiring the fish? Angling? If so its illegal to transport live game fish over land. See where I'm going with this.

Maybe just get a few Piranha and be done with it..lol

You aren't legally allowed to transport live game fish. So don't get caught and if a warden ever comes to your house convince them it was born there.

When I had mine in college you can feed it the feeder goldfish they sell at the pet store. Largemouth can eat stuff virtually it's own size. Just buy it a dozen and watch as it picks em off. Nightcrawlers works well but are obviously harder to gather.

How about Keeping some Live Minnows in a Aquarium? Not Game fish so should be OK I Think? If you do want a Bass, What would Rock Bass Be Considered as?

I purchased minnows in the past and kept them alive in a tank. Just stay under the legal limit and good to go as long as you are not selling them.

As for a rockbass, I'd rather be safe than sorry. If I cannot buy it legally at a bait shop or a pet store then I don't even think to try and play in any grey area or the laws.

How about Keeping some Live Minnows in a Aquarium? Not Game fish so should be OK I Think? If you do want a Bass, What would Rock Bass Be Considered as?

Rockbass are not a bait fish, so it is not okay. The point of not allowing people to transport fish is to prevent them from introducing them into other water bodies. I don't think that we want people introducing rockbass into other water bodies.

Edited by JohnBacon

you can buy peacock bass from big als.....

Love to see that in a bass tourny! Look big fish is 8LB and not natural to the lake but i swear I got it over there... haha

However nope read the reg's and or call the MNR to see how and what you can do

Actually, most Bass will not eat anything that is not alive. They kill their food and eat it. The only ones that will eat commercial fish food pellets, are ones that were "feed trained" when quite young. Most won't eat it.

Goldfish are eaten with vigor!

I did it a long time ago when I was a kid. Had a 75 gallon tank in my room and had 2 small bass from a local pond close to my house. They will eat anything... dead or alive. From worms to pieces of lunch meat they ate it all. I would probably stick with worms, crickets, minnows/goldfish, or even live mice if you can grow the fish large enough. Also Get the biggest tank you can afford or have room for. Owning in aquarium can be a serious hobby...... it takes more to maintain it then you might think if you haven't done it before.

Good luck.

Actually, most Bass will not eat anything that is not alive. They kill their food and eat it. The only ones that will eat commercial fish food pellets, are ones that were "feed trained" when quite young. Most won't eat it.

Goldfish are eaten with vigor!

Try carp instead of bass...they will eat anything !

We had a wiseguy at the plant that went around putting small gamefish caught in the Baywater strainers in the water coolers. Small Pike and Bass. I didn't realize there were even fish in the Hamilton Bay but there were many, even Salmon, mmmmm good.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm thinkin about putting a small bullhead in my aquarium. Probably a safer bet and more legal

I've kept Brown Bullheads in an aquarium before. They're very tolerant and easy to feed. Mine would just eat table scraps.

The hardest fish I found to feed were the Esocids. They would only eat a live fish of the proper size. The craziest fish I had was a Green Sunfish. It would constantly harass the other fish in the tank and bite their scales off.

I've kept Brown Bullheads in an aquarium before. They're very tolerant and easy to feed. Mine would just eat table scraps.

The hardest fish I found to feed were the Esocids. They would only eat a live fish of the proper size. The craziest fish I had was a Green Sunfish. It would constantly harass the other fish in the tank and bite their scales off.

Where did you get the green sunfish?? I thought they were further south? That's pretty cool though, and probably a bit annoying with their aggressiveness. Sounds like cichlid behaviour.

I'm just waiting for my tetras to peter out, they're all reaching the top end of the average life span... so it probably won't be long. Good to hear bullheads are pretty easy to care for

I'm thinkin about putting a small bullhead in my aquarium. Probably a safer bet and more legal

I am sure they easier care for; but I don't think that it is any more legal. I wouldn't consider them to be a bait fish.

Edited by JohnBacon