performance enhancement (maxing out hp)

sauce

I recently bought a 16 foot princecraft. It came with a 25hp Johnson 2 stroke tiller. The boat weighs 575lbs according to the princecraft catalog. Add batteries gear etc and it's probably close to 750lbs. Add myself and a passenger, now well over 1000lbs.

It actually scoots along pretty good. Getting up around 25mph on the GPS. Hole shot is not great. And in order to get up on plane quick, I need to have weight in the bow (fill the livewell or get buddy to sit up front)

The boat is rated for a 40. So I'm at 62.5% of rated maximum.

A 30 would put me at 75% and if I could find a 35 I would be at 87.5%

So, my questions...

Will I notice a big difference going up to a 30? Or am I better off to be looking for a 35 or 40?

Thanks for any input you can offer. I'm very happy with my new rig. Not looking to be the fastest 16 footer on the water, just looking to boost performance a little.

I have a Lund SSV-16 with a 40 Merc 4-stroke. Loaded with gear, 2 batteries, drop in flooring, 3 adults and a 110 pound Labrador it will run at 34-36 mph on GPS. That is with a 13P Spitfire 4 blade prop.

Edited by 67ZL1

Post this on iboats.com. They know there stuff, we do too but they are some super guys there and it's 100% boating on the general boat forum. I have come to learn that the difference from a 9.9 and a 15 horse is simply a different carburetor. Same goes for a 4 stroke 250 horse Merc to a 300 HP Merc, fuel delivery is maxed on the same engine. There are kits to upgrade HP but you need a 40. I strongly believe you won't see any difference with a 5 HP upgrade.

If you want maximum power and speed go with the maximum HP rating for the boat.

Before you go that route, have you checked to see if your Prop is the correct size? Maybe a 4 blade would help - from what I understand it drops the top end speed, but makes the hole shot/handling better. I will probably go that route myself, and keep my current 3 blade as the backup.

Anyway - might want to check that first, as it is much cheaper than a new motor - lol.

A further on Tupelo's post.

First make sure you have the correct prop that is maximum for the set up of your boat as you normally use it.

The best way to do this is by running your boat wide open on flat water and checking the RPM.

Next compare this to the maximum rated RPM for your motor.

Is the RPM within the maximum WOT range recommended by the manufacturer?

If yes than you need more motor for better performance.

If no you can improve the performance by changing props.

If the difference is minor than the improvement will also be somewhat minor.

But if your boats RPM at WOT is far out of the maximum range than the improvements can be very noticeable.

Sometimes there is no replacement for HP though.

Edited by Woodsman

Thanks for the input. I'm running a 4 blade aluminum prop. I have no idea what rpm I'm running at though. I don't like the whale tail idea. For now I will be sticking with the 25. And when I do upgrade I will most likely be looking at 35 and 40 2 strokes. Problem I'm running into is that I don't see a whole lot available in the used market.

Problem I'm running into is that I don't see a whole lot available in the used market.

You may not see them but they are out there.

What I mean is place an ad posting what you want and that may provoke someone with a 35 or 40 wanting to jump to a bigger unit as well for their boat to reply and make you an offer. Ad's are free so no harm there right?

Good luck and yeah MAX it out like the others have said.

I appreciate the help guys. At the present time I'm not in the market to buy. Just giving it some thought. I'm actually a little surprised at the performance of the 25 on this boat. I would say it's almost enough power. It takes a little to get up on plane but it definitely goes once the bow comes back down!

I appreciate the help guys. At the present time I'm not in the market to buy. Just giving it some thought. I'm actually a little surprised at the performance of the 25 on this boat. I would say it's almost enough power. It takes a little to get up on plane but it definitely goes once the bow comes back down!

Buddy had the same type rig and to get up and go I'd have to sit up front then move to mid boat and on windy day's with a decent chop we'd both get wet due to splash. However if that isn't an issue make due till ya can right? And no prob. G

If your sticking with existing motor, get yourself a tiny tach to get your rpm readings. Then you can tweak your prop selection. Also look at motor height - in relation to the bottom of hull and cavitation plate. That can make a difference in performance.

Try and avoid the hydrofoil/Wale tail if you aren't having significant planing issues. They generally sacrifice top end speed a bit for the ability to plane better.

Do you have the 162 pro series tiller?

Edited by Spooled

Yes spooled. It's the 162bt. It really suits my style of fishing. And it's quite an upgrade in the comfort department compared to my old tinny.

I haven't tried trimming in. I will give that a try.

I'll probably finish off this season with the 25. Start looking with intent to buy during the off season. Thanks to everyone that replied. I really appreciate the different perspectives.