Very special fish for me

Good evening everyone

Well yesterday I caught a fish that has meant more to me than nearly any other fish I have ever caught

No it's not a giant walleye... or giant carp... or giant musky... well it's a musky... but no giant

It was a small thirty-something inch musky

But here is why it's so special

I have been going to the Ottawa river every year for the past 5 years or so... yesterday was trip 8 or 9 up there

Every trip up there I would have several musky follow and even a missed strike here and there but could never put one in the boat

I like to think I'm a half decent musky fisherman as I catch them regularly on several other rivers

Eventually I got it in my head that I was cursed... I saw em every day... I would leave spots and guys would go and catch behind me... I'd leave spots and see John Anderson (awesome guide) hit it after me... etc... etc...

July I'm on a weekend swing and have Wednesday and Thursday off all month so I set my eyes on going to the Ottawa every week while it is quiet mid week to break the curse

Yesterday about 6 hours into our day a hot little musky charged my cowgirl and to my surprise this one actually went into the figure 8 and it was HOT HOT HOT!!! On the second lap around it hit and I missed... I was absolutely gutted cause I thought it was over... to my surprise it kept going and hit again on the 4th lap around the figure 8 and I got the hooks in

My partner had never seen a figure 8 strike and I only have a couple under my belt as well so we both went crazy

I was yelling "get the net... the curse is broken!!!" That's when I realized my partner couldn't figure out my folding net

Again I was gutted thinking I was gunna lose the fish that took 5 years to catch

In the end we got it in the bag and the curse is finally broken

Now keep in mind I've caught musky up to 56 inches before but this little thirty-something fish is one of the most exciting... memorable... and hard earned fish of my life and I don't think I'll ever forget it

DBE164A6-E118-40EA-8227-A070BD20FF8D.jpg

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Wowza Mike Wowza. You need a new tape measure, yours has stretched. That's no 30, 39 maybe, maybe even more. It looks as big as the 49 I caught (insert winky yellow thing here) I saw a 29" Pic last week, that fish is 10" longer, at least.

I don't Musky fish but from watching all the shows and talking to those that do go for them Crocs no one has ever told me nor have I ever seen one hit a figure 8, ever.

edit: tried the 8 thing on a Smallie follower once and it actually worked. That day they were jumping in the boat. I have a witness.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Thanks everyone

As far as the length goes I guessed high 30s

It's a good pic and if it wasn't in the 30s it couldn't have been far into the 40s

I don't really measure musky until I think they are high 40s or into the 50s and this little guy didn't stop fighting when it got in the net so I wanted to limit time out of water

It rolled and tangled... had to cut all the hooks... I got cut by a tooth as well as rakers... lol

This little guy had character

Wow you are diligent! 5 years and 8 trips. Glad it paid off in a dink....but next come the big ones. I look forward to seeing those. I fished Nipissing a couple times before my first there...also a 30's...next one on Nipissing? 49. Go get em!