boat distance etiquette.

limeyangler

Timely topic here Simon , I just got back from a fishing trip and this somewhat happened to me . I was clearly drifting down a shoreline making casts when this

guy and his wife pull up in there boat just 50ft away from me down drift and drop anchor and they start fishing . Now I know I don't own the lake but some common

sense should come into play here , total idiot move on a large lake with very few fisherman . Now the guy in your case Simon is the definition of an idiot and a total

Bull move especially when you have your son in the boat having a good time catching fish . Rant over :wallbash:

Here's the other side of the coin; we were invited to fish along side another boat.

We were fishing Lake Mistinikon and found a nice walleye hole; didn't have a GPS then, so I dropped a marker over the side.

That night we head over to the spot, to find an elderly couple fishing where the marker was; as in the marker is not there anymore. No big deal as we start to make a wide berth around them; thinking we go back later. The next thing we see is them waving us over? We pull up beside them and it turns out they were locales and had seen us put the marker out earlier that day. They said they have been fishing that spot for years and didn't want the marker there, for everyone to see. They gave the marker back and told us to tie off to their boat, as it was firmly anchored. Well me had a great time with them and we all easily limited out; before the sun went down. Most nights for the rest of that trip we'd meet up with them at that hole; we called happy hour.

Dan.

Seriously, it's really not worth the hassle

Yes, I've dinged jigs off a boat before. Thankfully they got the message and took off

But honestly, if it bothers anyone that much, just move

It's not worth risking an altrication

In retrospect, imagine hitting someone in the face with a jig on accident????

It seems that not many people I know appreciate close encounters of the 'turd' kind....lol. I don't mind too much if the person encroaching starts up some banter, had some fun times meeting with people who saunter over, don't do it myself but thats just me.

One time last year a guy from the US came over to my boat and we started the banter, ended up parking our boats on shore and trekking into a cache lake to cast for bass, great adventure and still in contact with them. I'll talk to anybody, so when you approach my boat within conversation range at least have the courtesy to say good morning. Had a guy 2 days before the incident in the picture come about the same distance to me with the bimini up and his back to me....just ignorant.

I rarely confront people as if they are showing all the signs of ignorance it rarely ends well, I resent moving, but half the time these people are useless fishermen, so I slam a few more, making it plain to see, exaggerating the hook sets etc....watch their frustration increase, then move on.

Maybe they should introduce a rule in the regs like the slot size, e.g.. Zone 5...keep a minumum distance of 100yrds from boats not in your group. There could even be Zone Exceptions....eg "Zone 4, Lac Seul from Manitoba point to Burntwood Bay.....minimum distance 3 miles".....lol

Edited by limeyangler

I have anchored up for a spell of catfishing and it is not the other fishermen I have an issue with it is the people boating thru my line sets. Most of the cat fishermen i know on sight either by their boat or their equiptment on board. They will usually ask over the radio or holler to see if you have caught anything. We then say yes set up over there or no go to buoy 54 spot. The rare person who set up to close will be asked if they please not interfere on our spread and shown how far out we have our spread. IF some one is going to be an ass no matter if you talk to them or not they will not hear you.

Art

How about close enough that someone trolls on the inside of your huge planner board with a huge red flag on it and cuts off the line. Then has the audacity to ask for help to get a huge spool of 50 pound test unwrapped from his prop. Wowza. Sorry pal I would love to help but I have to go chase down my freeking board and by the way you owe me a few hundred yards of line, the line on your prop you can keep is what I would have said most likely (Italian hothead some days.)

Happened to a buddy a few years ago. Steve being Steve did go back once he found the board and helped him (actually law in Canada to aid a disabled boater). The guy did apologize and it was just a mistake. He had just started trolling out here and didn't have a clue what he was doing. Offered Steve 50 bucks. Says a lot about the man and Steve and how I can just loose it before thinking and getting the facts.

Just thinking, it is actually a law for Canadians to be nice.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yeah, I usually start up and blast out of the spot when someone pulls this on me. I don't really like altercations with strangers, you never know who you're really dealing with; could be a complete wacko.

Edited by jimmer

Here's the other side of the coin; we were invited to fish along side another boat.

We were fishing Lake Mistinikon and found a nice walleye hole; didn't have a GPS then, so I dropped a marker over the side.

That night we head over to the spot, to find an elderly couple fishing where the marker was; as in the marker is not there anymore. No big deal as we start to make a wide berth around them; thinking we go back later. The next thing we see is them waving us over? We pull up beside them and it turns out they were locales and had seen us put the marker out earlier that day. They said they have been fishing that spot for years and didn't want the marker there, for everyone to see. They gave the marker back and told us to tie off to their boat, as it was firmly anchored. Well me had a great time with them and we all easily limited out; before the sun went down. Most nights for the rest of that trip we'd meet up with them at that hole; we called happy hour.

Dan.

awesome story and the other boat played it very cool and politely and if that was my local, I'd feel the same. asking u to tie off was the icing on the cake. wish more people were like that imo

We were fishing Lake Mistinikon

Dan.

Mistinikon eh, were you guys fishing near a bridge? Good story.

I still enjoy fishing the Kawartha dam circus in the fall for something to do, and nostalgia. Lots of funny stories. Last year my Dad was down on a pier and a guy was fan casting over his head. Also last year I was fishing vertical and a guy's float from 50' away was in front of me when I snapped (also with my Dad).

Fishing and being outdoors is better when people say Hi and chat and hangout together without crap like this.

No we were on the west side of Bell Island. Its a fairly long island with tons of large saddles in and around 20 FOW, that all look like great spots; but only a few really produce.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

It's not just fisher people that do this kind of dumb stuff.

I'll park my 50 Chevy at the far end of a parking lot; no other cars around me. Come out from wherever I was and find another car parked so close to me; that I've had to get in through the passenger side.

Dan.

Dan don't tell me you are the guy who feels taking up 2 spots by parking across the painted line no matter where in the lot?

Dan don't tell me you are the guy who feels taking up 2 spots by parking across the painted line no matter where in the lot?

Only if it was the last two spots and you were wanting one. LOL

Dan.

Worst I've experienced was actually from shore. We hiked into a remote lake near Temagami and had a narrow piece of shoreline from which to fish. There happened to be a couple of old guys in a tinner on the lake as well, they had hiked in from the other side. They had the entire lake to fish from. Where do they decide to fish? Right in front of us. One of the boys "accidentally" cast a jighead onto the side of the tinner, twice. Eventually they moved on, but man....

To those who're suggesting avoiding confrontation by moving to another area without saying something to these goons who crowd people, you're part of the problem as allowing this behavior to occur without saying anything gives these people the false impression this behavior is acceptable. I'm not suggesting damaging property or instigating an altercation, but a polite reminder of common courtesy usually works.

People have some nerve, that would piss me right off to no end. I'd at least have to say hey bud you're a little too close for comfort. Do you mind?

If you ever go shore fishing around Barrie's waterfront on a weekend, there's always this old jerk who hops on his Seadoo from the marina and burns it within 10' from the shore all the way down right on top of everyone's bait at full blast, then shoots right back to the docks. He does this about once every hour all day and just to be a jerk.

Edited by Governator

To those who're suggesting avoiding confrontation by moving to another area without saying something to these goons who crowd people, you're part of the problem as allowing this behavior to occur without saying anything gives these people the false impression this behavior is acceptable. I'm not suggesting damaging property or instigating an altercation, but a polite reminder of common courtesy usually works.

I just reminded people a jighead can result in assualt you didn't intend to do.

Im all for saying whatever. But I've seen people actually take it back to the boat launch after and Duke it out, or damage vehicles etc

If you ever go shore fishing around Barrie's waterfront on a weekend, there's always this old jerk who hops on his Seadoo from the marina and burns it within 10' from the shore all the way down right on top of everyone's bait at full blast, then shoots right back to the docks. He does this about once every hour all day and just to be a jerk.

That has crossed the line between immoral and illegal...you can't operate at over 6mph within 100' of shore. He should be reported.

Edited by G.mech