Wind, wind and more wind.

It gets windy around here regularly, north shore of Lake Erie. But this year is absolutely ridiculous. If there are 2 days of the week that wind predictions are less than 20 KPH it is unusual. Windfinder and Sailflow have been bang on so far. On weekends it is usually a regatta of boats here on the point, fishing Bass, pulling tubes, just going for a nice ride. I counted exactly zero this weekend, not 1. The SeaDoo guys are having a blast though smashing over whitecaps but even they are scarse. On Bass opener they are usually stem to stern out here because it is a great Bass spot. I counted exactly 2 boats on opening day and they gave up after 1/2 an hour. 4 foot waves are tough to fish from a Bass boat, any boat. My BBQ blows out from the wind, if it will light. I have to use my back up on the north side of the shack. I have had to put 5" lag screws in the BBQ base as well as the patio table. Chairs and umbrellas have to be put away every night or they go for a flight. This is just rifreekindiculous. I have put the boat in exactly twice this year here and got blown off the water once. Amongst our little gang the total count on fish this year is exactly 2 Walleye. This is just getting silly. It's blowing like November not July. First rain everyday and now wind everyday.

Vent complete.

Is it the same where you guys are?

Yes!

My kids wanted to fish yesterday and the wind kept us off the lake till 730pm and only able to fish till 9'ish. I warned my daughter that she may get soaked as I back the boat (18 1/2 bowrider) off the lift when lowered due to waves and yeah she took a few in seconds. Oh and it's not a big lake and the waves were cross lake (skinny way) and still 2 to 3'+ at times. We cannot sit out often lake side due to this crazy rain or wind.

Edited by GBW

We had another storm blow thru the area early Friday morning ( before dawn ), the weekend wasn't too bad. Monday - Thursday? scattered thunderstorms predicted.

My son got the flat on the tractor cart fixed anticipating it drying out and having to water trees, he might make it all summer without a prolonged dry spell?

Ohio.

A few local farms still have their first cut of hay sitting in the fields. I know almost ziltch about farming but enough to know that that hay should be in bails by now. Every time they try and condition it rains again. Years gone by a second cut is being done but the fields were too wet to get into, mud and more mud. We can't complain because we haven't had a thunderstorm for week, not even rain. Whooo hoooo. Second time I had to water plants and flowers this year. Corn looks good, 2 feet or more high by the 4th of July. But Climate Change is fake news ya' know.

The wind is driving me nuts this year where are the 10k and 15K days?

Most days so far are 20K and then add the gusts.

I am planing my days off based on the wind forecast got tired of taking a day off only to sit on the driveway cause it was too windy.

I can fish in the rain..just leave the wind.

80 rounds 2 years ago and I haven't swung a club this year. When we planned to get out it was either raining or going to rain. Grrrrrr. Things can't be too bad when my complaints are about not fishing or getting out golfing. Pretty small potatoes in life's Big Picture.

Went out of Maitland on Saturday morning. Got banged around quite a bit at first, wasn't sure if we were going to be able to stick it out or not. Calmed down as the day went on, but we had to head in about lunch.

you should have seen Pointe Au Baril this weekend...the water was the highest I have ever seen it in the 12 years we have been there. The wind was absolutely howling off of the bay all weekend, took a quick boat trip to go see the main bay and promptly turned around before even getting close to the big water...the rollers were coming right into the channel...calmed down somewhat but you could see the 10+footers out on the main bay...ugly.

Yup. It has been windy all year long. In the winter and spring had to keep drilling the latch on my fence door back into place after coming home to a broken one. Finally replaced with a bigger and better one and put in a new spot.

Been out in the dinghy on small lakes about 10 times this year and only one day was it calm. Not surprisingly, it was my best day for catching. And I literally have not caught a single fish in the choppy areas of the lakes. Just in the calmer areas sheltered by the treeline.

Was on Buckhorn this weekend in a big bay but the wind felt like it was coming from three directions. I just couldn't win. My rig is too small to go out to the better places of Buckhorn.

Ohio.

A few local farms still have their first cut of hay sitting in the fields. I know almost ziltch about farming but enough to know that that hay should be in bails by now. Every time they try and condition it rains again. Years gone by a second cut is being done but the fields were too wet to get into, mud and more mud. We can't complain because we haven't had a thunderstorm for week, not even rain. Whooo hoooo. Second time I had to water plants and flowers this year. Corn looks good, 2 feet or more high by the 4th of July. But Climate Change is fake news ya' know.

1:30 pm, and it is as dark as 9pm, lighting thunder and the monsoon is hitting! My youngest daughter went to Ohio State's agricultural college branch in Wooster Ohio. She posted some pictures of some of her friends family farms farther south of here, some of their corn is as tall as they are, so not all areas here are getting hit as badly.

Went out of Maitland on Saturday morning. Got banged around quite a bit at first, wasn't sure if we were going to be able to stick it out or not. Calmed down as the day went on, but we had to head in about lunch.

You are a lot braver than I am Tom. You should see how green the grass is on the hill heading down to the lake. Water is so high and waves so big it is splashing close to the deck Saturday and yesterday.

Johnny, looks good this Wednesday at Burwell :worthy::Gonefishing::D

Maitland on Wed. Dave. Featherstone Ted and the boys went out last week and 2 Pics totaled 17 pounds. 1/2 fed 8 of us, I was more than happy to cook and clean them. I snuck 1 Silver in and I made sure one of the gentlemen that call them garbage fish got a fillet. He remarked how sweet the smaller Pic fillets were, ha!! Friday and Monday are looking good for winds too. If we make out well Wed. I'll make the turnaround Friday, if not Bruce or Burwell Fri and or Monday. After that Windfinder etc. is calling for some 65KPM gusts next week, come on man!

Dave, I just got the letter for reinstatement of 80% of our benefits. but we have lost all Life Insurance. what the???

Edited by Old Ironmaker

You are a lot braver than I am Tom. You should see how green the grass is on the hill heading down to the lake. Water is so high and waves so big it is splashing close to the deck Saturday and yesterday.

The line between brave and stupid is pretty thin sometimes. We were in a nice heavy fiberglass Larson with lots of power, anything lighter than that and I would not have gone past the pier.

30 some years living in eyeshot of Lake Ontario and Erie is worse , I learned not to book a weeks vacation with the thoughts of fishing that week, except for opening trout week when you could hit the creeks if the lake blew up chances were you would spend a good portion of the weeks watching whitecaps off the end of my street. Luckily, when I worked it was the continental 12 hour shift for the most part so I had 3 days off 1 week and 4 the next and I lived a couple of hundred yards from the launch.

Well here we go again, Deja Vu all over again. Worked for a few hours yesterday checking the boat over and cleaning it. Organized tackle, changed some leaders, added some Leadcore to a few reels, checked drags, made sure all electronics worked and went through my boxes and decided what to start with. Up at 05:00 and Steve showed up at 5:30. A perfect Walleye roll, little to zero wind. Sat and had a pre job meeting (he was my Manager way back when) over a coffee with a splash of Zoom Zoom in them. OK, lets get going. Loading up the boat it starts sprinkling and a thunder boomer wakes us. The wind picks up and within 15 minutes the flags are straight out and whitecaps 5 miles out. We went for breakfast and called it a day at 08:00. Now it's perfect, a nice Walleye chop and overcast. Tomorrow will try again but I told him to be here at 08:00 at unless it's obvious it's a no go. The speed and direction of the wind turbines are better than any wind prediction sites.