Fishing Toronto Harbour Marinas From Boat

buick14

Hey all,

Does anybody know if fishing amongst boats/marinas in Lake Ontario Toronto area is trespassing or not allowed? I understand not being able to fish from their docks. Do some own the water , or does the same rule apply to all marinas within the Toronto shoreline?

I remember taking my port authority in water test at the humber sail club, who back then mentioned you were able to fish all marina areas from a boat.

Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure it out as I keep getting "kicked out" by boat owners mentioning it's a private club and fishing is not allowed. If that's true, I will respect it. If it isn't, then when people tell me that rubbish I want to be able to make my decision based on how I feel the individual approaches the situation.

I dont know the ins and outs of marina fishing but i do know it is illegal to interfere with somebody who is fishing or hunting by the rules.

If you can find out if you are allowed to fish there you can then tell anyone who interferes with you that they are breaking the law and they should leave you alone and mind their own business.

You could always try calling mnr or the local police to see what they have to say on the matter before you go.personally i try to stay away from people and their drama but if your options are limited then giver.

Good luck

had my first experience with this a few weeks back, except this wasnt a marina it was simply a smaller alcove with a cottage in it. I guess the guy was not used of boats coming by his place. I even respected him and stayed and the entrance casting into his small bay...sure enough i hooked up and brought the fish in..as I was unhooking the fish the guy comes down to his dock and starts yelling at me and then says "theres no fish here get lost!" to which i held up the smallie I just caught lol

It is my understanding that it is impossible to own water no matter what, unless of course its your private pond.

The only thing that can be purchased is the shore allowance which you purchase directly from the crown. My neighbors purchased theirs after a group decided that they wanted to camp on his front lawn? pretty crazy.

This is actually a pretty well written explanation of the law:

http://www.producer.com/2004/03/public-access-to-waterways-on-private-property-the-law/

problem is that land owners do not understand that waterways are federal crown land. In most circumstances it's because the owner doesnt see much boat traffic so when it occurs they think someone is trespassing.

The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act in Ontario also states the following:

Obstruction of hunting, trapping or fishing

13 (1) A person shall not interfere with lawful hunting, trapping or fishing by,

a ) tampering with traps, nets, bait, firearms or any other thing used for hunting, trapping or fishing;

b ) placing himself or herself in a position, for the purpose of interfering, that hinders or prevents hunting, trapping or fishing; or

c ) engaging in an activity, for the purpose of interfering, that disturbs or is likely to disturb wildlife or fish.

Notice without authority

(2) A person shall not purport to give notice that entry to premises is prohibited for the purpose of hunting or fishing or that hunting or fishing is prohibited on premises unless the person has authority to give the notice. 1997, c. 41, s. 13.

Edited by redpearl99

It is my understanding that it is impossible to own water no matter what, unless of course its your private pond.

It's rare, but not impossible. The south end of Scugog and Longpoint in Lake Erie are a couple of examples were they restrict you from boating in navigatalble waters.

It's possible that a marina could have similar rights granted from the federal government, but not likely.

For me, the point of fishing is to get away from people, drama & stress. I really don't see the joy of pissing off others to land a few but to each their own.

I want to know my rights. I can put my earbuds in or tune out anything when a friend is around, creating a relaxing stress free environment. But if it's true that I shouldn't be there, I want to know and I will respect it.

So, I will carry on fishing lake o marinas from a boat like I have for the past 10 years.

I'll play devils advocate here. A guy invests 100 grand, or even more, in a big plastic tub or pristine woody and cares for it well. Comes out to the marina and there is a big ugly scratch in the gel coat or finish, or a lure stuck in the canvas top or cover from an errant cast. That would pee me off too. Not everyone can cast or flip a lure into a Pop can from 100 feet away. My brother has a cottage on a nice Bass lake. Often he will find lures under the dock stuck in the wood. My niece when she was a just a toddler once had to get stitches from stepping on a treble hook from a lure that was obviously broken off and sunk to the bottom next to the dock. She refused to go into the water for quite a while. After that he had to check all around the dock for hooks before the kids could jump in and swim, that would phis me off too. So it isn't just a matter of fishing docks when boats aren't present.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

For me, the point of fishing is to get away from people, drama & stress. I really don't see the joy of pissing off others to land a few but to each their own.

the joy comes from fishing.

if entitled :asshat: want to get upset over your legal fishing thats their problem.

Edited by Boss