Septic Question Please. NF

captpierre

We want to put up a 9x13 ft shed that will have one corner on our septic bed due to space limitations at the cottage.

The septic bed is about 20 yrs old. We bought the place 6 yrs ago.

The bed is a deep spiral type. Apparently the pipe spirals down in a wide circle, about 15-20 ft in diameter down about 10 ft.

The neighbor says he saw them install it.

It's about 100 ft from the lake and 20 ft from the cottage which is closer to the lake.

The shed is to sit on 2x2ft patio stones. At the 4 corners. The corner in question will be 1/3 of the way into the spiral.

I know you shouldn't weigh down conventional septic beds.

Does anybody know anything about these spiral types?

Will the shed work? No other place to put it.

Thanks

Peter

First thing I'd be checking is if you need a permit to put the shed up at all. 9 x 13 is 117 square feet and most municipalities require permits for structures over 100 square feet, with stamped drawings etc. In making this enquiry you can, at the same time, find out how to get a photocopy of the as installed septic system to aid you in your layout. We got the photocopy for a friend in Ramara for just about a buck or two as I recall (just needed to know where it all was). Of note - it seems you can put up 10 x 10 sheds (100 sq ft) more than once, I've seen some places that look like shanty towns!

Getting the layout will greatly help you in determining if you are actually going to be on top of it - the excavation may have gone as far as your neighbour remembered but the piping may well be out of the way. I am in no way an engineer or such, but have worked in construction most of my life and I've learned that the best way to find out about issues like these is to talk to the building department even if you don't get the answer you want. Get on their good side and you may find alternatives suggested to help you reach your goal. Your only other alternatives are to engage an engineer ($$$$$$!!!) or play dumb, which can cost more than an engineer! The local lumber store staff may also offer some insight but they, like me, aren't recognized as an authority. Building Inspectors get a bad rep but they do know the codes and are really, when you think about it, there to protect you.

Hope these few thoughts help you to find what you need and get the job done!

Good Luck!

Michael

I'd think twice about asking the local government about a drawing of your septic system.

If the former owner installed without a proper permit & inspection they may order it's removal.

Why take the chance.

Ditto, the description of what is installed is like nothing I have ever heard of , could be opening a big can of worms.

people drive lawn tractors etc over septic...would corner of shed but that much heavier?

The soil above a septic bed needs to be able to breathe, solid concrete or compaction from traffic is a problem, also the laterals can only be to a certain depth, else it won't work properly. You can't put in a septic bed and then go raising the grade above it later, either.

My dad is in the septic business, (not system installations though) give him a call and maybe he can help. 705-494-6660 Benoit septic. Ask for Bernie and say you're a long time enemy of yves.

I've never heard of this spiral type system. I guess the idea is that water will travel out in this spiral.... Not sure if this would work.

And as others have said, maybe it's not code so best to keep it hush hush.

My dad is in the septic business, (not system installations though) give him a call and maybe he can help. 705-494-6660 Benoit septic. Ask for Bernie and say you're a long time enemy of yves.

I've never heard of this spiral type system. I guess the idea is that water will travel out in this spiral.... Not sure if this would work.

And as others have said, maybe it's not code so best to keep it hush hush.

A friend of mine described a spiral septic system to about 30 years ago. He said they take less room than a traditional septic bed. I don't really have any more information than the fact that they do exist.

If you make your shed over over 10 square metres (107 sq. ft.) you are required by the OBC to get a building permit (your 9x13 is just over this). If you go to get a permit, you will have to show your site plan with at least 5m setback from any structure to your tile bed which sounds like a show stopper. Building on top of a tile bed is never a good idea but if that's what you need to do, you'd be best to spread the load as much as possible on patio stones to prevent soil complaction and make your shed a bit smaller to avoid the permit application. I don't see a lot of other options.

Crazy idea, how far does the shed extend into the septic bed? And do you need to have a stone in the corner? Could you offset multiple stones closer to the centre of the shed and get away with that? Know what I mean?

Build the shed 9X11 so only 99 sq, then build the roof to over hang the walls by as much as 2 ft or more for LOTS of attic storage if need be.........now you have a shed that's under the 100 sq yet you still have plenty of storage in the attic area.

One corner of the shed wouldn't bother me over the septic area.........and don't forget, you can always roll the shed off that corner if need be by using PVC pipes under it.

If you build it and it is on the septic field what is the reaction of the county? Where I am if you do this they can make you remove the building and condemn your septic field until you have it certified by an engineering company. $$$$ Personally I would not violate my drainfield because if it is damaged you are close to the water and that would be another can of worms if they can find traces of septic waste or bacteria in the lake.

Art

If you make your shed over over 10 square metres (107 sq. ft.) you are required by the OBC to get a building permit (your 9x13 is just over this). If you go to get a permit, you will have to show your site plan with at least 5m setback from any structure to your tile bed which sounds like a show stopper.

Not if you are in an unorganized township.

Do not call the municipality if you are in the City of Kawartha Lakes; you will be asking for trouble. I have never seen a spiral weeping bed. They have probably been replaced by the raised bed or holding tank only. Maybe your place was grandfathered.

Not if you are in an unorganized township.

Well if that were the case, the OP wouldn't likely be asking the question in the first place. The OBC still applies regardless even in unorganized townships where permits are not required. You may not need a permit but you are still required to follow the OBC.

Edited by G.mech

Well if that were the case, the OP wouldn't likely be asking the question in the first place. The OBC still applies regardless even in unorganized townships where permits are not required. You may not need a permit but you are still required to follow the OBC.

Again G. Mech is 110% bang on. 20 years ago one could build anything on 6 Nations reserve any way they wanted. Not today all codes apply from the North American Building Code, OBC and all the way to individual County Codes and regs.

I wouldn't want to open a can of worms over a small shed and if I were I wouldn't risk a bed not performing or even failing over a stinkin' shed to hold a mower and a few shovels. Reward not worth the risk.

The question was about a septic system and shed, it had nothing to do with permits.

The question was about a septic system and shed, it had nothing to do with permits.

When you are talking about septic systems and building on a property it's all about permits. We need a stinking permit here to change a toilet that is 100 bucks. Need to put in a temporary foam ring, remove the toilet for inspection and reinstall said toilet with a wax ring.

Well maybe you could offer an answer to whatever you think the question is then....sheds and septic systems do have something to do with permits so not sure what your beef is.