HELP NEEDED: 2004 Merc 115 Optimax - Needs New Powerhead

Hi OFC,

Hoping I can get some help from the board..

My long weekend hasn't gone as planned thanks to some engine failure while out fishing. Boat was running fine but early saturday morning I would be driving at cruising speed and engine would suddenly die. Happened a few times and finally I got worried so decided to leave it off and use the kicker to get back to the cottage.

I had a marine mechanic come by the cottage and he delivered some bad news. Two of three pistons were in good shape, but one was showing 18psi when compression tested. I was advised that the best option would be to replace the entire powerhead with an estimate of roughly $5k.

I only got this news yesterday so I'm still scrambling to figure out next steps and how to get this fixed. I bought the boat at the beginning of the summer so I want to get it fixed ASAP, hoping to lose as little time on the water as possible. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

-recommended marine mechanics within 2-3 hours of Toronto that could handle this job

-suggestions on what is reasonable price to pay for this repair

-any other suggestions/recommendations from others who may have had the same issue

-reasonable expectations for how long this should take to complete

The boat is currently at the cottage in Muskoka but I'm hoping to be able to take it somewhere by Wednesday of this week. I'm in a little over my head with this one so any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this isn't going to be cheap, I'm just hoping to minimize cost while still being confident in the repair job.

Many thanks,

FF17

Call around to see how much it'll cost to be rebuilt as it could be something like a blown head gasket or stuck/bad rings in that cylinder. I believe these outboards are known for getting carbed up bad and you're suppose to run some sort of carbon cleaner every few tanks of gas to keep them cleaned out.

Dig into it a bit, have the cylinders/pistons/rings inspected before dumping $5k+ on a new powerhead. It may just need new pistons, rings and the cylinders honed to remove scoring.

Ch312's statement that these motors are known for carbon build up is flat out wrong. I've been running Optimaxs since 2002 and have not had any issues. It appears that the OP isn't the original owner and that might be the problem. Some people cheap out on oil by using off brand types and the Optis, like most other 2 stroke, DFI engines, have strick requirements when it comes to oil. Even different year Mercs have different oil recommendations.

Repairing might be the cheapest option but not the best. One would have to discuss it with a qualified dealer/mechanic.

Yup

I would get a second opinion for sure. Paul at Topgun really knows his stuff but not good at returning calls.

Paul is super busy this time of year, but I gave the heads up to my supervisor for parts. He got what he needed from Top Gun.

Give him a call FF

Like I said, he gets super busy this time of year. Everyone wants their bass boat on the water.

I have a 2006 Optimax 115HP. Only issues I have had with Carbon, is from trolling a low speeds for too long. Got a piece of carbon stuck in the Sparkplug, and ended up running on 2 cylinders. Cleaned it up - back to 3. I swapped the plugs out at the end of the season, as I had not changed them in a while.

I alway purchase/fill it with the Quicksilver DFI Synthetic.

The other marina I have heard good things about is http://www.sandycovemarine.com/. Have had a few friends with Motor and/or out drive issues. Might be worth a call. NOTE: I have never used them myself.

Wondering about the low compression however. That does not come and go, as described in the post. If the compression was that bad, there is no way you would be able to get to cruising speed on only 2 cylinders - at all.

Have you taken a look at the Spark Plugs and maybe just replaced them? Also what kind of Fuel do you put in - if not using Shell High Test, you might have a ethanol/gelling issue. Those things can cause the issue - or at least cause it the way you have described (full power for a bit, and then it drops off).

Wondering about the low compression however. That does not come and go, as described in the post. If the compression was that bad, there is no way you would be able to get to cruising speed on only 2 cylinders - at all.

Glad you said that as that would be my thought on the matter as well, Engine running fine and suddenly dying and then running OK for a while and dying again, I would suspect a fuel delivery problem first.

My optimax was running terribly last year. It drove terribly on and off before the issue became fully apparent. It was one of the diaphragms on the fuel rail that went, barely idled and had a difficult time starting

Ch312's statement that these motors are known for carbon build up is flat out wrong. I've been running Optimaxs since 2002 and have not had any issues. It appears that the OP isn't the original owner and that might be the problem. Some people cheap out on oil by using off brand types and the Optis, like most other 2 stroke, DFI engines, have strick requirements when it comes to oil. Even different year Mercs have different oil recommendations.

Repairing might be the cheapest option but not the best. One would have to discuss it with a qualified dealer/mechanic.

I was going by what acquaintances have told me and a quick Google search confirmed this, hence the tons of people with Optimax's having carbon issues along with plenty of how-to's for Optimax's. Don't let brand loyalty get in the way of fact.

Regardless, the OP should be looking into this a bit more before dumping 5k on a new powerhead when it ay be a relatively cheap fix.

I launched at Muskoka same time as you motor seem to run fine.

But it had low compression when you bought it. This didn't show up last weekend. Did you have a compression check before you bought.

You will be happy to have a merc.

Extreme Marine by airport Toronto is also very good. There are plenty of Merc mechanics around but the 2 above are the best and interesting is the where tournament partner way way back in the day.

I have my doubts on the diagnosis to.

At 18 psi that motor would be missing and shaking and down on power.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something as simple as a coil pack or even a bad spark plug. I put brand new plug in my old 90 and had a similar issue when one of the plugs was defective.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi OFC,

Hoping I can get some help from the board..

My long weekend hasn't gone as planned thanks to some engine failure while out fishing. Boat was running fine but early saturday morning I would be driving at cruising speed and engine would suddenly die. Happened a few times and finally I got worried so decided to leave it off and use the kicker to get back to the cottage.

I had a marine mechanic come by the cottage and he delivered some bad news. Two of three pistons were in good shape, but one was showing 18psi when compression tested. I was advised that the best option would be to replace the entire powerhead with an estimate of roughly $5k.

I only got this news yesterday so I'm still scrambling to figure out next steps and how to get this fixed. I bought the boat at the beginning of the summer so I want to get it fixed ASAP, hoping to lose as little time on the water as possible. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the following:

-recommended marine mechanics within 2-3 hours of Toronto that could handle this job

-suggestions on what is reasonable price to pay for this repair

-any other suggestions/recommendations from others who may have had the same issue

-reasonable expectations for how long this should take to complete

The boat is currently at the cottage in Muskoka but I'm hoping to be able to take it somewhere by Wednesday of this week. I'm in a little over my head with this one so any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this isn't going to be cheap, I'm just hoping to minimize cost while still being confident in the repair job.

Many thanks,

FF17

Any update on what happened? I have the same motor, so any feedback would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on what happened? I have the same motor, so any feedback would be great.

Thanks all for the replies. I dug into it a fair bit and had a few mechanics take a look before landing on one. The one cylinder was completely shot and we ended up replacing the powerhead based on the recommendations from all of those who looked at it. When the work was being done he found a considerable amount of water on the oil pan that likely entered through the oil cap that sits on the top of the hood. The boat had been sitting at my dock for most of the spring/summer so with all the rain we got it seems like the most likely cause.

I had the option to buy something used ($17k for a brand new merc 115hp wasn't an option) but was going to spend the same amount as the repair just to end up with a used motor that could have issues of its own. This way I have a completely rebuilt powerhead with a 1yr warranty and a local mechanic who stands by his work.

Definitely the biggest kick in the ass of the summer but I wasn't about to have a broken boat sit at my dock. Thanks again for all who gave their input. I know I'm just getting around to responding but I did call some of the numbers/mechanics that were posted here.

Cheers,

FF17