Vacation trip ideas??

DaveRoach

I am looking for tips on fishing vacation spots on waters that hold muskies. I will probably be solo (unless someone wants to join) and bring my boat 16' console with a 60 HP. which will need to be plugged in nightly to charge the trolling motor. I am hoping to catch at least a few Muskie with the potential for some size while I'm there and have little interest in other fish (perhaps a couple of walleye for eats). Willing to travel but not too far, maybe four to 8 hour drive from the GTA. I am open to cottages or lodges and wouldn't mind having meals cooked where possible. As for budget I'm looking to spend around $1500- $2000 for 10 days (August 4 till 14th to be exact) but would spend a little more if necessary. I love the Kawarthas but also wouldn't mind a change as I fish there on a regular basis. I have all fishing supplies needed for myself and a couple of others if needed.

I was kind of forced to book ahead of time and that's why I'm scrambling for Ideas.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, as mentioned I would trailer my own boat so nightly docking with power is essential.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by DaveRoach

If you want scenery as part of the package nipissing or magnetewan river near Britt. If its strictly about the fish then St Clair. Or how about Ottawa River or Thousand Isles area? I have never been to the last two but they certainly should be on the list!

If you want scenery as part of the package nipissing or magnetewan river near Britt. If its strictly about the fish then St Clair. Or how about Ottawa River or Thousand Isles area? I have never been to the last two but they certainly should be on the list!

ottawa river def on the list

In the range you've given, I'd look at Nippising. Maybe the south shore area. I'm not sure entirely how the Musky fishing is in that area or what the numbers are like but I know they are present, and guys get big fish. The added benefit from the south shore is that it's a relatively short trailer pull to the restoule/stormy chain. I do know the musky fishing is decent there having caught them myself and talking to other guys while camping in the park. In 10 days it might be nice to have the opportunity to get on a few different water bodies within driving distance of your accommodations. Otherwise, I'd agree with Sinker. But that's a heck of a drive.

if you want numbers with the chance at a 50 inch...Lake St.Clair.......is your best option....also has great walleye and bass fishing as well.

Yeah, but its like fishing in the city. Not my cup of tea, but maybe someone elses.

S.

If you choose Nipissing - look into Bear Creek Cottages and speak with Shawn. He has some muskie experience.

The Ottawa has always intrigued me so please let me know how you make out if you go there.

I agree St Clair would be like fishing in the city.

There are other lakes like Baptiste Lake that could still hold some good fish.

Screw it, drive up to Lake of the Woods. I leave in the morning for 10 days. Will let ya know how it goes.

I went there last year, picked a bad week, action was almost non existent for all at the lodge (I landed 2 all week) guided daily, luckily got a 50 last hour of the last night. The drive was brutal, but I will be back.

Screw it, drive up to Lake of the Woods. I leave in the morning for 10 days. Will let ya know how it goes.

I went there last year, picked a bad week, action was almost non existent for all at the lodge (I landed 2 all week) guided daily, luckily got a 50 last hour of the last night. The drive was brutal, but I will be back.

Nice. Where did you stay? Weather is looking stable for most of the week for us. All we can do is try.

S

That many days and that kind of budget, you could do one helluva St.Lawrence roady.

Couple days Ganonoque, then Cornwall, then Lac St. Louis area, and finish Lower Ottawa maybe..? Camps, lodges, motels along the way..

Edited by Moosebunk

If you choose Nipissing - look into Bear Creek Cottages and speak with Shawn. He has some muskie experience.

Had been going to Bear Creek since the late 70's when the Donovans had it. Great area. For Musky I have to suggest Nippising's West Arm. Both for size and numbers. Think about hiring Dany Columby for a day to show you the primo areas. Well worth the money.