Using Jumper Cable wire for 24v Trolling Motor System?

bassfighter

Can I use the wire on a Jumper Cable to hook up two 12V Deep cycle battery to create a 24V system for Trolling motor? For years , I have been using Jumper cable wire to connect the 12V Deep cycle battery to my Trolling motor.

I was reading that I should use 6Awg wire for 24V system. I believe some Jumper cable wire are around 8AWG.

How do I determine the gauge thickness on a Jumper Cable?

Marine Grade:

There are several types of "Marine" wire. It's usually rated for a higher temperature and "wet" (think submersed) applications. it is also has a requirement that it be "self-extinguishing". That is extremely important on a boat in the middle of nowhere. SGT-M is SGT battery cable rated for marine use and is only a little more expensive than SGT. Some marine grade wire is "tinned" (plated) to help reduce corrosion and has a high strand count like welding cable. it can get very expensive (twice as much).

If your boat catches fire and you go for a insurance claim it will be denied even if you use 6 gauge wire and it does not have the (M) rating for marine on it.

Art

Jumper/booster cables will do the job, but it's not the proper choice,

Most jumper cables now are made out of copper clad Aluminum ( read the box ), only designed to give a momentary boost, and save money, not good for prolonged load application like trolling motor etc, I don't even trust them as booster cables,

I would use a proper marine grade cable of correct gauge for the trolling motor.

Car audio 8G power wire. $2 per foot here in Barrie for the nice soft, good quality stuff. The previous post about jumper cables being copper clad aluminum is spot on. And more expensive! lol I just wired up a new Motorguide and glad I went this route.

Thanks to the members here for the help in battery choice too, I'm very pleased I came here for advice :)