Weedless prop for 12 volt motor guide?

Tjames09

It seems the kipawa specifically states it's only 24 and 36 volt for the 3.5" model. I have a 12 volt 55lb motor guide w55. The stock prop is absolutely useless in weeds. Anyone used the machete prop from motor guide.?

Edited by Tjames09

Until I have 2 grand to get a nicer unit, this one has to do. Try and make the best of it.

My boat came with a motorguide too. Best thing I ever did was get a minnkota. Night and day. I'm sure the newer MG are better....maybe.

S.

Hi Tjames09, I'm just up the river from you it seems. I went through the same things when I started (same questions I see you posting I went through). Extremely frustrating in our area as it gets chocked pretty good in the summer. Felt like it was useless to fish largies with a 12 volt on my 18 foot Legend.

I tried everything short of epoxying razor blades on the prop.

The solution that worked for me is to go to a 24 volt. I have no experience with motorguide, but the 24 volt Minnkota I can tell you works for me. You still need to lift and clear matted veg once and a while from the shaft not prop.

Not all Motorguides are created equal. The stock one on my boat was brutal and I went through every prop out there including the stock prop, machete and hydrilla hacker. When the motor died I replaced a "Pro" model with a "Tour" model and the difference was night and day. Any prop cut weeds no problem. Btw, it's a 24 volt and I'm on upper Buckhorn which has no shortage of weeds.

Edited by Henricus