Nipigon's "No Ragrets!"

Moosebunk

Annual spring trip out west to Nipigon is in the books. Won't be a late summer trip happening this year.

My buddy Stevie and I tackled some all new water for us, putting miles and miles in the boat. It was great. Something very satisfying about researching and then exploring, while catching fish along the way. A total mixed bag of weather fronts kept fishing interesting but we pegged some real quality brutes this year, in great numbers too.

It's a read as always, loaded with plenty pictures. You might like it given the chance... check out the link here!

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/nipigons-no-ragrets/

Enjoy the summer OFC'ers!

Bunk.

072_zpsio1dufue.jpg?resize=800%2C534

Edited by Moosebunk

Great report my man . Those are some real tank lakers you guys got into , the specks aren't bad either........ lol

Those flies are the worst !!! Thanks for sharing Bunk .

Edited by 4x4bassin

Wow that is one heck of a report. I sure know the part about getting up in the middle of the night to check on how secure the boat is in the middle of a rainstorm! Been there done that. Never seen so many awesome fish together, well done.

Amazing report Bunk, you should be a writer, oh wait, you are!

Good thing you don't smoke if you were belching gas. :devil: How long was the boat ride from the marina to your campsite?

Nothing like a waterbed on a camp site and no air mattress, well until you find the patch kit on the last day!

One lost lure in a week is pretty incredible.

Thanks for reading fellas! :good::good:

Those flies are the worst !!!

Agreed... they aren't nice. But if they had all been deer flies or black flies that would have really sucked too.

I sure know the part about getting up in the middle of the night to check on how secure the boat is in the middle of a rainstorm! Been there done that.

A reality on almost every trip. With this site there would be little worry... very protected for boat rocking except there were some stumps and debris at the landing that if the boat got sideways the hull or motor could take some damage.

How long was the boat ride from the marina to your campsite?

Nothing like a waterbed on a camp site and no air mattress, well until you find the patch kit on the last day!

One lost lure in a week is pretty incredible.

On the way out... well over an hour and about four hours to get everything on and offloaded to camp.

Stevie lost three or four lures to pike while speck fishing and snagged one up. I lost a fly and lure to pike. We got one lure back, 5 days later when catching a thieving pike nearly 2 kilometers away from where it had stolen the lure earlier. That made us chuckle... Used to lose many more lures to snags but have learned an interesting "move" to make using boat, rod and right timing that gets them off 90% of the time in one shot without having to back up all the way to the lure. Even with Stevie, he quickly learned to be right on cue as to when to pop free. I remember years passed losing a dozen to two dozen lures a trip... But the pike weren't over-running the shorelines where specks were, so that helped this trip too.

Three days from retirement and I was physically sighing reading the report. It was enough to put my mind at peace tonight. I will dream of of those spec patterns and that behemoth Nipigon that I had briefly explored 10 years ago! :)

Thanks Drew for another great tale. Enjoyed it immensely.

How'd the annual walleye trip go Jay?

Three days from retirement and I was physically sighing reading the report. It was enough to put my mind at peace tonight. I will dream of of those spec patterns and that behemoth Nipigon that I had briefly explored 10 years ago! :)

Congrats "old" friend. You're there! Enjoy your last day tomorrow. Can't believe you're retiring actually... you'll likely still supply for as long as you can.

Awesome report as usual Drew!

51GCnpIbO%2BL._UX425_.jpg

Wondered a time or two Bill if you and your dad still make the trip?

You nailed it with that picture. StevieZ was quoting the movie... I was tossing the "rags" about in my tent to try and make a bed. lol.

awesome trip great read

Thanks Doug. Nice to know you're still around, you've been quiet here of late.

Amazing bunk!!!!

One day soon on LOTWs!!!

*Forgot to mention, great music choices!!!

Talked with Pat this week. Still not sure, gonna "maybe" aim for something next fall. My winters are getting busier with work... next summer there's two trips already on the go with likely a third to come and some work/char fishing in Nunavut. But I'd like to get there. Tool rules on the drive man!

Thanks for reading guys.

Thanks doods

I am huge Tool guy - as a drummer you cant help but love Danny Carey

Don't know if there's any better out there today. It's my favorite part of the band but there's still so much to like about their sound. Would like to see another album or see them live.

Another stellar report young Drew. I have come to expect nothing less.

Klotz Lake Camp right on #11. That was my first foray into the real north country. Having grown up under the shadows of the Steel Mills in Hamilton I don't think we ever had a ball game on anything other than asphalt or concrete. Wow, real nature. North to us was Guelph. That fishing around Klotz and Flint Lake spoiled us for the next 37 years.

We would rope the 12 footers down the Flint River rapids and portage the tinnies, 9.9's, fuel and tackle over Beaver Dams all week off the Kimberly Clark logging roads to fly in only lakes. 2 a day Herculean workouts getting ready for those trips. No fat fishermen back then.

Edited by Old Ironmaker