Mounting Downriggers -- Need Help!

Tmonz

Hi everyone, I have a 1990 Doral Eclipse and have purchased a set of Big Jon Downriggers. I am trying to figure out the best way to mount them onto the gunnel. The top of the gunnel has a step plate that would be the best location I believe. this step plate section runs about 10" and the screws to hold the step plate on were in about 1/2" and did not penetrate through the top layer of fibreglass. Please see attached photos. As of now, I am going to ad a backing plate and screw them down into the top of the gunnel to support the mount. please see attached photos..

Any help is greatly appreciated

boat gunnel.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

Edited by Tmonz

hard to tell from those pictures - doesn't really give a full view of the project. And you don't have the riggers to give context - however - if you are thinking of mounting where you have that metal bracket, - -are you doing anything else to support the fibreglass there? or just mounting to the top of the step? Are you putting a backing plate underneath?

I would think you want a U bracket to go over the step and secure it from the top and the sides to backing plates underneath. Even an 8lb ball at the end of a boom in 2 foot waves will put a lot leverage on your base plates.

You could do worse that to talk with Dave at Trojan Tackle. A few bucks now will save a ton of heartbreak later

hard to tell from those pictures - doesn't really give a full view of the project. And you don't have the riggers to give context - however - if you are thinking of mounting where you have that metal bracket, - -are you doing anything else to support the fibreglass there? or just mounting to the top of the step? Are you putting a backing plate underneath?

I would think you want a U bracket to go over the step and secure it from the top and the sides to backing plates underneath. Even an 8lb ball at the end of a boom in 2 foot waves will put a lot leverage on your base plates.

You could do worse that to talk with Dave at Trojan Tackle. A few bucks now will save a ton of heartbreak later

That Bracket is the base for the downriggers. My plan was to install some sort of backing plate underneath the top of the gunnel. Haven't decided what material and exactly how to configure it. I have a friend who is able to make me an aluminum base plate that should work.

I will upload some more picture, I was having an issue with it earlier. Hopefully these pictures will give a better impression of my set up.

I didn't realize that there is a limit to how many photos -- can't add additional.

Edited by Tmonz

That Bracket is the base for the downriggers. My plan was to install some sort of backing plate underneath the top of the gunnel. Haven't decided what material and exactly how to configure it. I have a friend who is able to make me an aluminum base plate that should work.

I will upload some more picture, I was having an issue with it earlier. Hopefully these pictures will give a better impression of my set up.

I didn't realize that there is a limit to how many photos -- can't add additional.

Get a 1/4" thick aluminium plate to back it from the underside.

Make sure it is a good piece longer than the mount to help spread the load.

Shouls work fine.

Get a 1/4" thick aluminium plate to back it from the underside.

Make sure it is a good piece longer than the mount to help spread the load.

Shouls work fine.

Thanks. That seems to be the consensus on how to mount riggers on this boat. I think I will mount directly behind the step plate in order to keep it fully intact.

I would mount a track over that step, and mount the rigger to that. Then you can get a filler for the track to keep the step functional when the riggers aren't on.

Need more pics for sure, but its hard to beat a track system.

S.

I would mount a track over that step, and mount the rigger to that. Then you can get a filler for the track to keep the step functional when the riggers aren't on.

Need more pics for sure, but its hard to beat a track system.

S.

I have two big jon riggers. Do they make a track system for this type of mount seen in one of the pics?

I have two big jon riggers. Do they make a track system for this type of mount seen in one of the pics?

If not, you could have one made. I can put you in touch with the person who made the adapter for my Salty.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84730

Edited by JohnBacon