PROUD OF OUR OPERATORS!!!!!!!!!!!

BITEME

I am very proud too of our Forces too. When I hear about someone's father, son, daughter husband wife coming down the Highway of Heros, I am very grateful that there are people that are willing to make a career out of putting their lives on the line to defend freedom and the lives of people they don't even know. My worst day on the job doesn't come anywhere close to what they are willing to put on the line.

But I laughed when I saw the article. Yes there is absolutely a skill to being a sniper. But at 3.5 km, that was pure luck that that shot happened to hit the mark. He did his best to calculate and aim to get it in the ball park, but after that it was 99% random luck. If he fired 10 rounds with exactly the same aim, the target cluster would probably be 100 yds wide at that distance just from wind, air pressure bullet ballistic characteristics, and other uncontrollables. That's why ultra long range kills are very very rare. But good job regardless.

But I laughed when I saw the article. Yes there is absolutely a skill to being a sniper. But at 3.5 km, that was pure luck that that shot happened to hit the mark. He did his best to calculate and aim to get it in the ball park, but after that it was 99% random luck. If he fired 10 rounds with exactly the same aim, the target cluster would probably be 100 yds wide at that distance just from wind, air pressure bullet ballistic characteristics, and other uncontrollables. That's why ultra long range kills are very very rare. But good job regardless.

Not exactly blind luck. I believe that with the Tac-50 at that range the grouping size is about 20", meaning that if he was aiming for center of mass and is able to account for the many, many variables affecting the ballistics it's possible to hit a target that size repeatedly. Don't kid yourself though, it took a whole team of people to make that shot. The biggest factor in many of these super long shots over the last number of years is probably having instant access to ballistics software to take care of the variables, and not just the charts from years ago.

I am very proud too of our Forces too. When I hear about someone's father, son, daughter husband wife coming down the Highway of Heros, I am very grateful that there are people that are willing to make a career out of putting their lives on the line to defend freedom and the lives of people they don't even know. My worst day on the job doesn't come anywhere close to what they are willing to put on the line.

Pure luck?? Not likely. There is a ton of skill there you haven't even heard of my friend. Sure, there is luck involved, but to call that a lucky shot?? Not a chance!!

s.

the articles don't really mention but it would be even more incredible if it was a cold bore shot, I'd assume he walked it in with his spotters....I'd say it's more like 99% talent to get into the ballpark and then 1% luck

I remember when the dozen or so remaining C15 rifles were offered in Canada a couple years back, surplus after McMillan filled their contract for the army, only 15k each!!

Nice job for sure.The ability of a person shooting at that range must compensate for many factors some are Breathing, Heart Beat and muscle tension.Those are skills that are his alone. The spotter is in charge of all of the elements and the geometry of the shot. I have shot the 1000 yard range with some of the finest weapons and breathing alone can take you off the target. It was a lot of fun but the trainer out shot me and it cost me 10 bucks. Lesson learned never bet with the man who owns the rifle.

Art

Never understood the US and eventually Canada going to the M16 class of rifle, a few with old school moisin nagants, smle's or garands could pin then at 7-800 yards and they's have to call for artillery support to bail them out :wallbash: