Another year another new lake

spincast

Blastin' out early Saturday Morning, we greeted the Sun as we hit the split.

RIMG0066_zpsol9cgrd8.jpg

'bout 6 hours later we arrived at the low key lodge for the week. Greeted by a blast from the past, as I zoomed in and read the screen, I laughed my you know what off -

your call is important to us....

RIMG0077_zpseant8pwd.jpg

having said our hello's we headed to our shack for the next 7 days

initial views are thumbs up!

20170610_140048_zpszbivn4ir.jpg

20170610_140038_zpsy8thabix.jpg

20170610_140036_zpsiyq3yfr4.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the rocks are laid our in U shapes with the open end facing down river. Turns out this used to be a hatchery for walleye for 30 years.

The temps had shot up from relatively mild, to mildly stoopid, We hit the water in search of some fins and grins, but the heat and high sun lead to a slow day and quick dehydration. We headed back to the swamp for a few bevvies and a meal

After supper we headed down to the river to see if we could entice some swimmers before the mossies turned us into a blood buffet. We were greeted with moderate success

RIMG0082_zpsm9imqmlk.jpg

and yes,, they are open all year where we were......

DSCF1022_zpskpontsax.jpg

as the sun went down and darkness settled over the land

DSCF1049_zpsf8gxetoy.jpg

i managed to tag a nice dark eye too

20170610_215118_001_zpssrm91vmw.jpg

Next morning while the coffee was brewin' headed down for a quick few casts and was greeted by a nice fatty sitting the fast water

20170611_071856_zpsvi8xe3yz.jpg

The next day dawned stinking hot and humid again. After a slow fish we headed back to the cabin during the "dead-zone" hours, and refreshed our tired aching limbs

20170613_151908_zpszomvet7n.jpg

and passed the time reading articles on the target species, chilling our feet and enjoying a bevvy of choice

20170613_152637_zpsv0ublbwo.jpg

These critters had just come off their nests and were lurking and hungry

20170613_154802_zpsvtuxmpij.jpg

20170613_154759_zpseduiq8dr.jpg

alll except for this poor girl. she stayed there the whole week, unless someone got too close, picking caterpillars off the shores and fanning a bed with nothing in it. Not sure what happened to her's but she was an empty nester and just didn't know it

20170613_154755_zpsd5ggil64.jpg

that night all hell (and our dock) broke loose as a micro burst blew through, blowing down trees and putting out power. It stayed out for the next 18 hours.. Fortunately I had brought a shore lunch kit and between it and flashlights we managed to make our meals and morning coffee.

Next day greeted us sunny but cool first thing. Having got some hints from the regulars we headed to the ultra skinny water and put on a show of finesse fishing with (be sure to say in a midwest US drawl) "crawlers.... with weight or without"

had a blast and put about 40 of these in the boat over the next few hours

DSCF1061_zpsyxhkxaxl.jpg

DSCF1055_zpsh2651bmf.jpg

DSCF1066_zpsppudddo9.jpg

managed to find supper, too

DSCF1045_zpsxgt1vglk.jpg

Next day started off with a bang - three nice eyes in 30 minutes, and then lock jaw set in.

20170616_131647_zpsiat8fon8.jpg

For the rest of the week we had to work pretty hard to put them in the boat - although the bass were always there for relief, even if not in the same numbers.

First time we have come away with less than our limit of eyes from a trip - but we were close.

We don't count, or measure, other than those that were suspected PB's. Kev got a PB at 18.75, and I got his twin brother - but was short of my PB. They were however a complete riot - jumping, tail dancing, walking on water diving under the boat We did go through 20 dozen worms, 6 dozen minnows, 1 dozen leeches and donated a few crank baits to the rocks. Almost all of those produced for us. We were disappointed in pike - both quantity and quality, ah welll. there's always next year.

Time to go back to the big water....

Edited by spincast

thanks Sy - the shack was actually not bad - typical for a lodge and very affordable all things considered.

20170617_093607_zpsx3vnml16.jpg

20170617_093600_zpsnc1jtwxm.jpg

you know where to reach me if you need time on the water before yours is out. I am doing an extended July 1 long weekend - bracketing either side of the standard

Cool report...that storm is crazy! You never mentioned where you were...actually read like you were purposely trying not to indicate where you were. Why?

very perceptive: its a fishing report. easy enough to pm me if someone is interested in location

119 user(s) are browsing this forum

37 members, 82 guests, 0 anonymous users

Nice Rick looks like a week well wasted :)

Thanks Andrew - for a change we didn't get wasted :angel: - this week was a much bigger waste - but it pays the bills.

green ladderbacks tomorrow? I'll text you

very perceptive: its a fishing report. easy enough to pm me if someone is interested in location

119 user(s) are browsing this forum

37 members, 82 guests, 0 anonymous users

Still don't get it. What's to keep secret? From your report you traveled 6-hours for serviceable cabins and marginal fishing in an environment that looks like the hand of man has written its story over it for many, many years...complete with lowhead dam, environment feature signage, and a quaint walking bridge. I wouldn't think there will be a mad rush by Forum members to get there this season...or probably ever. I think your secret is safe. Many (most) other forums fishing reports are complete with lake, outfitter profile / pricing, depth fish were most active at, presentation techniques that worked best, etc. I respect your position though. Thanks.

Still don't get it. What's to keep secret? From your report you traveled 6-hours for serviceable cabins and marginal fishing in an environment that looks like the hand of man has written its story over it for many, many years...complete with lowhead dam, environment feature signage, and a quaint walking bridge. I wouldn't think there will be a mad rush by Forum members to get there this season...or probably ever. I think your secret is safe. Many (most) other forums fishing reports are complete with lake, outfitter profile / pricing, depth fish were most active at, presentation techniques that worked best, etc. I respect your position though. Thanks.

Maybe re-read the rules that you signed up to...

OK...I re-read the rules...don't see where any breach occurred. I was simply commenting how it seemed odd there was not GENERAL info about lake, outfitter review (didn't have to post name), cost, fishing behavior at the time, techniques tried and results. Didn't request info on specific locations, etc. I guess it would be silly to expect or request that type information in a public manner on a public fishing discussion board. But then again, to expect a "fishing report" NOT to report that type of information seems absurd.

each to their own T-bone. I suspect once you spend some time around here you will see all kinds of different reports - some full of the details you're looking for and many more that are just folks sharing their time on the water. Not everyone is looking for what you after - in a trip, or a report. I personally don't provide the " virtual tourist guide " kind of post. Nor do I particularly make an effort to post the biggest fish of the trip - although, yeah if I get a trophy or a PB I will share that. I have limited time to put together a post due to family commitments - so what you see is what you get. If it isn't to your taste, skip it or head to the sites that do -but, heh,I respect your position though.