Dealing with an Insuarance Company that outsources your claim?

scuro2

roof.jpg

IMGP0016_1.jpg

I have Intact insurance. As you can see in the pics above we had wind damage to our roof on the west and south side in a March windstorm. Three months later I've finally been given the name and number of an insurance adjuster from Intact.

Naively I didn't pay too much attention to the situation. Someone was going to come and assess the roof, a roofing company was going to file a report and give it the insurance company. He thought a money from the insurance claim would pay for most of the cost of replacing the whole roof.

The claim was given to Cunningham Lindsey by Intact Insurance which, "is a global loss adjusting, claims, management, and risk solutions firm". https://www.cunninghamlindsey.com/global/

They outsourced the assessment to an independent contractor who my roofer believed, "wasn't qualified to assess roof damage". To make a long story short the independent assessor has come out several times but couldn't find the secondary damage. After sending pictures CL has budged from, "we are not sure if there is secondary damage on another side of the roof" to the secondary damage can be "patched up" but they will only pay for the damage on the one side.

I'd be interested to hear if I do have a case that the 2nd side of the roof should be covered and if anyone else has experience with this new style of "insulated" insurance claims.

Good luck with Intact and anyone affiliated with.

I just finished a 4 month battle with them; trying to get a fair settlement for my stolen truck. Their hired gun (appraiser) low balled the value of my truck. They (Intact) said if I didn't like their appraiser's assessment; I could have an independent company, do an appraisal and they would look at it.

I hired a well known licensed appraiser, at a cost of 200 bucks and Intact's adjuster did look at his appraisal; long enough to throw it in the garbage. It took me filing in small claims court for them to finally come up with a better offer. Still not great but enough that I signed off on the truck.

Good luck dealing with them. Just make sure you keep records of all that you have been told and by who.

Dan.

Those shingles look they're in rough shape to begin with, they will likely only pay for a repair. Our whole area got smoked in that big windstorm and most of the companies only paid for repairs unless the shingles were relatively new.

having an independent adjuster assess a loss is perfectly normal. All insurance companies send claims to adjusters to adjust the loss. The adjuster is basically the person hired for the field work of driving around, investigating, and reporting back to the insurance company about what the damage is.

Cunningham Lindsay is also a very large adjusting company in the insurance industry.

By the looks of those pictures it appears that the roof was fairly old already and likely in need of repair so it's unlikely the insurance company would pay for the replacement of a brand new roof for the entire home.

If you dont believe Intact and its adjuster are wrong then you can file a Small Claims Court action. Usually the act of filing a claim by itself creates and incentive for an insurance company to settle, especially if they have to pay lawyer to fight the claim.

I'm not sure how old the roof is. I'd guess 10ish years.
- the one pic is of the south side so it is the most weathered and probably looked less weathered pre-wind storm.

- the roofer said three sides were damaged and he filled a report. I looked and saw no tiles missing on the third side but some tiles look tweaked. It's hard to describe but just don't sitting flat.
- the hope is that they would pay for two sides which would cover about 40% to get it redone. They are offering $1500 for the one side only

- I can't remember once hearing if one tile is ripped of one side of the roof that whole side should be replaced. To offer nothing for that side doesn't seem right.

Edited by scuro2

Comment from a senior insurance representative a while ago - Insurance should only be for what you cannot afford - or else when you cant afford it wont be there.

As others have said Looks like the shingles are at the end of their life, and you would need to replace them soon to prevent damage - indeed some seepage may already have happened prior to this event . If you place a claim, it will go against your 4 year loss record. And the company will likely decline any damages that are not clearly the result of the wind damage.

Maybe Steve will chime in - this is his sandbox.