new Border rules that appear a win, win situation for fishermen

aplumma

I didn't realize I had to report even if I didn't set foot on US land or vice versa when we go out with my American relatives from the NY side. How would we report from the middle of lake when cell phones had not been invented yet?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I didn't realize I had to report even if I didn't set foot on US land or vice versa when we go out with my American relatives from the NY side. How would we report from the middle of lake when cell phones had not been invented yet?

Ya, the law has been that way for years and beaten to death on numerous forums. It never made any sense and this will make the rules more or less consistent for all boaters operating in and out of border waters without officially landing in the bordering country. Here is the news release from a Canadian source you may find more trustworthy with less 'errers' (or errors in Canadian English :D ).

http://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/new-boating-law-on-the-horizon

I cross back and forth all the time and never knew there were restrictions on Americans entering Canadian waters. This is a obvious correction to a lopsided law. The only thing is, both sides have to realize this only means you get flotation privileges if you are properly licensed and you have the correct safety gear for the water your in...NOT just your home water. You cannot land your boat, anchor or go ashore in person. In fact, you're not allowed to pull along side another boat (close enough to pass goods) either. I've spend a lot of time on the US side and spoke to the Sheriffs many times without issue but it's very educational.

We have a little booth set up on the US side you have to go in and call customs and pass along all your info

If you set foot on US land, at least here, prepare to have guns drawn on you very quickly

Our river is so narrow though, it's a big immigration area and lotsa drug smuggling so it's def a good thing they have strong border presence

Easier for Americans to cross into Canada but now I've been told that the Americans are going to make us Canadians check in now Bull. We relax our laws for Americans and they tighten up the law on us figures typical American crap . I've been told that the new US law will not be enforced until 2018 .

Edited by Alumacraft

Easier for Americans to cross into Canada but now I've been told that the Americans are going to make us Canadians check in now Bull. We relax our laws for Americans and they tighten up the law on us figures typical American crap . I've been told that the new US law will not be enforced until 2018 .

This change also makes our lives much easier since we no longer need to check in every time we return to Canadian waters....hardly anybody did but you could have been fined $1000 (minimum) if you didn't.

:dunno:

You might want to reread the regulation it appears that the US is trying to make it reciprocating on the rules that Canada was nice enough to relax.

Art