Calcutta D vs Calcutta B review

Andy

I have both reels and I have to say that I find the 400D to be the most uncomfortable baitcasting reel that I own when it comes to palming the reel. It's so undersized on the palming side that my fairly large hand envelopes too much of the reel. The whole reel seems so off balanced on the rod. I actually find the 400B to be a far more comfortable reel to use. Maybe I'm just not used to the 400D. It is a smooth reel, and the handle design and outside star drag are nice enough, but that's about it from what I can see. I can't really notice much difference in casting distance when using lures weighing an ounce or more. And I didn't think that I would care, but having to remove three slotted screws to adjust the casting brakes seems odd for a reel that costs that much. Anyone else kinda scratching their heads about the 400D?

I have the 401, pulls my double tens easily. Never tried the b series so I can't compare. I honestly don't mind it but the Revo toro I have is definitely more comfortable to Palm. I'm going to check out the 401 Tranx for rubber that just came out.

I complained about the lack of easily accessible vbs brakes, the shimano rep I asked at sportsman show claimed it was to help reduce corrosion inside the reel, which apparently was an issue with a lot of anglers, salt/inshore guys mostly I would suspect....overall I like the new D reel, I like how it palms, and handle and drag are improvements, but the lack of removable side plate is definitely a downside for most freshwater anglers

Never used a 400 size reel or a Calcutta for that matter but I rather enjoy both of my current Calcutta Conquests. They share the same form as the D with a smaller non handle side plate. They were designed that way in order to be easily palm able. Not everyone has giant man hands and I have yet to find either the 100 or 200 awkward to palm and they are smaller than what you are speaking of.

As for taking out the three screws to adjust the brakes, I read up on it quite a bit and from my research, it points to Shimano believe most USDM Anglers have a set and forget type of mentality with brakes. I have to agree with them in that I am not in there very often adjusting the brakes. I usually adjust from the outside if I need to.

There is a way around this though. The JDM models have a knob in place of one of those screws that you can loosen and the side plate will open. Apparently the Japanese fishermen absolutely need to have access to their brakes...