Best knot for heavier leaders ?

misfish

I dont have the tools to make proper heavy leaders,( crimps and swivels and all that ) I dont do enough of this type of fishing to justify the cost of this tool and terminal tackle, so Im looking for a knot that will work for me. The knot will be at the hook. I will double uni ( if possible with this thickness of leader ), if uni to uni is all that will work,Im going that way to my main line. Going with 30 pound braid and the leader will be 20lb P-LINE FLORO CLEAR. ( feel free to suggest another combination, Im all ears ) I will be after big largies, but there are big toothy critters. I,ll be using top water plastic baits. I know from my past with toothy critter bouts, straight tie with braid, has not been on my side. Live target perch that was my FIRST purchase, when they first came out, GONE.Just ask Lew. :whistling:

Im just looking for a set up that will work with what I have.

EDIT

Im guessing a Palomar knot would work at the hook, but not 100% on that.

Edited by Misfish

double uni should be no problem. i double uni 50lb braid to 50lb seaguar fluoro all the time for pike. you just needs less wraps on fluoro (maybe 5) than the braid (maybe 8 or 9) and lube it good. on the business end, any knot will do or a [erfection loop to a small snap.

uni2uni.jpg

..and this is a perfection loop with 150 lb seaguar. this one takes some patience LOL

perfloop.jpg

Edited by Raf

Palomar at the hook should work - if the line fits through the eye twice it should cinch up good. I use the bloodknot for (most) lead-core to leader connections. But I am generally only using 17 lb flouro. The Albright knot would be another option

Cool site in that it discusses what knots to use for each application. http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

I have started using the double surgeon's knot when I am on the lake and the wind, waves and looking up to check on boat on direction while tying the bloodknot is causing a carpet of swear words to hang over my head like a cloud of blackflies.

For pike/walleye, my preference is 20# braid with 12# floro for better stealth. Double uni every time with minimum 30" leader & palomar to lure/swim bait. Every strike, snag or fish landed, I check for Knicks/cuts on the floro & trim back accordingly. Hence the 30" lead.

Used to use 20# floro side by side with SIL running 12# & he out fished me 2 or 3 to 1. Never lost a fish/lure on 12# with a clean non compromised floro leader.

Edited by pikeslayer

I use the improved clinch knot on everything up to 40lb big game. I just changed out the 40lb BG on a meat rig that has taken a dozen plus mature kings last season without failure. It was tied with an improved clinch. I use the same knot on fluorocarbon, but use about 8-9 wraps before finishing the knot. Never have failures. I also use it on 20lb fluoroclear for spoon cheaters. Improved clinch, works great!

Don't want to hi jack but while on the subject of knots what is recommended for Flouro to Lead Core please. I have lost too much tackle. I have been using coated micro chain swivels the last 2 years and no lost tackle. I'm thinking they can't be great for the guides eyes or line when on the spool .

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Don't want to hi jack but while on the subject of knots what is recommended for Flouro to Lead Core please. I have lost too much tackle. I have been using coated micro chain swivels the last 2 years and no lost tackle. I'm thinking they can't be great for the guides eyes or line when on the spool .

Google "Willis knot". It is the go to for Great Lakes fisherman.

20lb Floroclear isn't very large diameter. Any of the standard knots will work. I just use a Palomar knot at the business end, but an improved clinch knot, Berkley knot, Rapala knot etc. should all work fine. To connect to the braid, use a micro-swivel, uni-to-uni, reverse albright or that FG knot. I use uni-to-uni as it's easy to do. The reverse albright is good too though. I still can't tie the FG knot, need some practice. Looks easy, but just hasn't worked for me.

Old Ironmaker,

I use a double uni knot for leadcore to flouro leader,

Pull back the sheathing about 6 to 10 inch on the leadcore, break off the inner lead core, use sheathing only to tie a double uni to flouro, I put a dab of super glue on it but it's not necessary. Never had a problem.

Here is a great knot which leaves you with a smooth transition between line and leader. It is less likely to pick up weeds on the retrieve.

Art

All I use for braid to leader.

Works mint and is nice and tiny. Casts great and is smooth through the guides.

Palomar, UNI or perfection loop @ the business end depending on intended use.

Here is a great knot which leaves you with a smooth transition between line and leader. It is less likely to pick up weeds on the retrieve.

Art

I have to try this. I like to tie extra long leaders so I can periodically trim them down after fish, zebra mussels and rocks begin to damage the ends. This means they have to go through the rod eyes and this knot just may do a better job. Thanks Art.

albright knot would my first choice, its easy, and passes throught the eyes nicely

surgeons knot second choice, not as streamlined as the albright though

or as someone suggested, tie in a perfection loop on the mainline and leader line, and use a loop to loop connection

the only knot i tie for attaching line together is a double uni.

I basically exclusively fish 20 lb flurocarbon because fishing on georgian bay I cannot afford to lose my lure every 4 fish because there are far too many 5-10lb pike that like my bass baits.

dunno if the bass seem to mind the heavier leader...all you compromise is a little bit of feel. I have yet to have a double uni fail yet...and it seems to go through guides pretty seamlessly if you trim your tags close.

Edited by AKRISONER

Because it fails? Lol

ive never had a double uni fail on me yet in 3 years...dunno what the heck you guys are doing...ive definitely had imroved cinch and palomars fail at the lure but never tying two lines together.

im also heavily of the opinion that the more complex the knot the more likely it is to fail simply because you are very likely to mess up. I basically stopped tying improved cinch knots because if i didnt cinch it just so and lock it just so it would fail on me, it was a crap shoot and to this day i have no idea what i was doing wrong because the majority of the time it worked perfectly, but every so often one would just totally come undone.

Edited by AKRISONER

Thanks guys, I knew I would get many ideas.

I have to try this. I like to tie extra long leaders so I can periodically trim them down after fish, zebra mussels and rocks begin to damage the ends. This means they have to go through the rod eyes and this knot just may do a better job. Thanks Art.

I too like to have a long leader. As you said, damaged ends, I also like to have the leader in the spool when I get the fish to the net.

I got til mid of next month to get all tied up for my up coming, 5 lakes in 5 days again.