Westmeath Largemouth Bass

Spanky80

My fiance and I love fishing lily pads & weeds for largemouth, we aren't tournament fishermen,only for fun. We've had good success on the southern end of Lake Dore and Constant Lake, but would like to try a new area this summer.

I've heard that there are areas like this near the Westmeath launch ramp on the Ottawa River? Or is it closer to Lapasse? We live on the Pembroke-Rolphton stretch of the Ottawa River and I'm not too familiar with that area below Pembroke.

Can anyone verify this?

Edited by Spanky

I went to a hunt and fish camp for years downstream of Westmeath back in the 80's and early 90's until I bought here on Erie. 2 of the guys loved it so much they bought homes there when they retired. We never got into Largemouth even though there are several back bays that look like Largie Heaven. I think I caught maybe 6 in all those years. One good looking Largemouth area is Bellow's Bay and further down stream is School House Bay (probably a local name). The area is known for Smallmouth but not Largemouth. Many rock shoals and points close to shore hold Smallies, Walleye and Pike. We fished for Pickerel mostly and Pike in Bellow's Bay. In as shallow as 2 feet of water in the creek heading into the bay with a floating Black and silver Rappala. A good topo map is your friend for that area. We always carried a spare prop and needed it more than once to get from one lake to the next on the river running the rapids. Dead heads can pop up at anytime, but you know that being on the river.

Don't forget your Quebec fishing license. I miss that area, pristine nature and we might see 1 other boat all week other than Bass opener. Some gorgeous remote white sand beaches to have a shore lunch or just chill on just next to Bellow's.

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I went to a hunt and fish camp for years downstream of Westmeath back in the 80's and early 90's until I bought here on Erie. 2 of the guys loved it so much they bought homes there when they retired. We never got into Largemouth even though there are several back bays that look like Largie Heaven. I think I caught maybe 6 in all those years. One good looking Largemouth area is Bellow's Bay and further down stream is School House Bay (probably a local name). The area is known for Smallmouth but not Largemouth. Many rock shoals and points close to shore hold Smallies, Walleye and Pike. We fished for Pickerel mostly and Pike in Bellow's Bay. In as shallow as 2 feet of water in the creek heading into the bay with a floating Black and silver Rappala. A good topo map is your friend for that area. We always carried a spare prop and needed it more than once to get from one lake to the next on the river running the rapids. Dead heads can pop up at anytime, but you know that being on the river.

Don't forget your Quebec fishing license. I miss that area, pristine nature and we might see 1 other boat all week other than Bass opener. Some gorgeous remote white sand beaches to have a shore lunch or just chill on just next to Bellow's.

Have fun, stay safe and enjoy.

If he fishes the Ottawa River he doesn't need a Quebec license, even if he fishes the Quebec side of the river. It's called Border Waters that you can fish with either license but you have to follow the regulations of the side you are fishing on.

Edited by wallyboss

Rick you fish prov. border waters, you should know, no? My copy of the regs are in the boat and I can't find the PDF in my filing system. There was a day you didn't need a NY State fishing license if you left and returned from Ontario, now you do.

Not everyone has data on their phone, like us. Not that I'm cheap I just don't like spending money on stuff I already have. I do use the calculator.

IT IS CONFIRMED. Page 12 of the Ont. regs lists a number of border waters where an Ontario license is good and the Ottawa is one of them.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Ontario-Quebec Boundary Anglers may fish in the following waters with either an Ontario Resident Fishing Licence or a Quebec Resident Fishing Licence.

• Ottawa River (45°34’N., 74°23’W.). • Lake St. Francis (45°08’N., 74°25’W.) and the waters of the St. Lawrence River between the dam at the Robert H. Saunders Generating Station and the Ontario-Quebec boundary

Plus many others than those you listed Wallyboss.

Ontario-Quebec Boundary Anglers may fish in the following waters with either an Ontario Resident Fishing Licence or a Quebec Resident Fishing Licence. • Clarice Lake (48°20’N., 79°32’W.). • Labyrinth Lake (48°14’N., 79°31’W.). • Raven Lake (48°03’N., 79°33’W.). • Lake Timiskaming (47°20’N., 79°30’W.). • Ottawa River (45°34’N., 74°23’W.). • Lake St. Francis (45°08’N., 74°25’W.) and the waters of the St. Lawrence River between the dam at the Robert H. Saunders Generating Station and the Ontario-Quebec boundary. Ontario-Manitoba Boundary Anglers may fish in the following waters with either an Ontario Resident Fishing Licence or a Manitoba Resident Fishing Licence. • Garner Lake (50°48’N., 95°11’W.). • Davidson Lake (50°21’N., 95°09’W.). • Ryerson Lake (50°23’N., 95°09’W.). • Mantario Lake (49°95’N., 95°10’W.). • Frances Lake (51°43’N., 95°08’W.). • Moar Lake (52°00’N., 95°07’W.). • High Lake (49°42’N., 95°08’W.). Limits in Boundary Waters Anglers who fish in waters that lie both in Ontario and another province or state must include the total number of fish caught anywhere in those waters as part of the number caught and kept or possessed under the Ontario recreational fishing regulations when bringing those fish into Ontario.

Rick you fish prov. border waters, you should know, no? My copy of the regs are in the boat and I can't find the PDF in my filing system. There was a day you didn't need a NY State fishing license if you left and returned from Ontario, now you do.

Not everyone has data on their phone, like us. Not that I'm cheap I just don't like spending money on stuff I already have. I do use the calculator.

IT IS CONFIRMED. Page 12 of the Ont. regs lists a number of border waters where an Ontario license is good and the Ottawa is one of them.

Yip, here you need a MN license to cross boundry waters and you also need to notify DNR if launching from Canadian waters

The river here is so narrow though it's a pita.

I side on caution. I never fish the US side

*Sorry, not DNR, you need to notify customs

Lol look how narrow it is

Screenshot_20170620-135931_zpskj4lecsr.p

Edited by manitoubass2

Many times we found ourselves in US waters. Especially the narrow east end of Erie or the upper and lower Niagara River. I swear Border Patrol comes out of nowhere when you do cross the not so imaginary line. A 'warning" isn't in their vocabulary. Most all of our marinas around here have a sign with the number to call to report into Canada Customs. No need to sneak into Canada, just walk across the bridge and tell them you are a refugee and they will carry your Louis Vuitton give you a warm coat and a selfie of Justine. Ooops.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

If he fishes the Ottawa River he doesn't need a Quebec license, even if he fishes the Quebec side of the river. It's called Border Waters that you can fish with either license but you have to follow the regulations of the side you are fishing on.

Negative...The Ontario Reg's state clearly that I require an Ontario Resident License to fish the Ottawa River, however the ignorant power-tripping Quebec CO's that patrol the Ottawa River do not recognize the Ontario Reg's, they only enforce the Quebec Reg's, and good luck trying to discuss it with them. One too many "discussions" with these meatheads (to the point they showed me their large sidearms when I tried to show them the Ontario Reg's), now when I see them approaching the hammer goes down on the ETEC and I run. I expect the nonsense with regard to the Quebec live bait B-S enforcement will only be worse this year on the river.

This, and the over-zealous OPP enforcement are the reasons I stick to the lakes in my area from mid-June until September, even though I live on the Ottawa River. Its just not worth the hassle anymore.

Edited by Spanky