Catfish baits?

kuhaman

Got a bunch of big cats on the weekend, most on stinky old shrimp! One nice one on worms as well but the shrimp was the ticket!

Landed 4 fish over 24" and a few little guys...

Great going, I used to like the smaller guys, dipped in egg and rolled in cornmeal/flour mixture and pan fried. :clapping:

Great going, I used to like the smaller guys, dipped in egg and rolled in cornmeal/flour mixture and pan fried. :clapping:

I may keep one soon and try it out, have never had local catfish...tried some in restaurants and like it before.

I was told they are very good smoked!

Thanks Dave!

I tried the Channel cats many years ago from a quarry out near Hagersville. I found they tasted 'musty'. Never tried them from the Grand though. Has anyone eaten the smaller 3-5lb fish from there? I'd be willing to try again but don't want to kill them if they taste the same way. I'm wondering how Paul Prudhommes Blackened spice might work on them?

Thanks Dave!

I tried the Channel cats many years ago from a quarry out near Hagersville. I found they tasted 'musty'. Never tried them from the Grand though. Has anyone eaten the smaller 3-5lb fish from there? I'd be willing to try again but don't want to kill them if they taste the same way. I'm wondering how Paul Prudhommes Blackened spice might work on them?

A soak in milk and a little lemon juice will clean them up really nice.

Art

Last weekend I caught my first couple Channel Cats, and got my first taste. Caught it out of the Trent system, fast moving dark water. It was very delicious, no mucky taste whatsoever. Also caught an eel, gotta call the MNR about that still.