Glow Spoons - Gimmick or beneficial?

Hey guys....curious about your experience with spoons (or other lures) that glow in the dark for deeper species (lake trout, whitefish, burbot etc.). I'm just getting in to fishing for these deeper species and always saw these lures as a bit of a marketing thing. Baitfish don't glow in the dark so why would a Laker go after a glow in the dark spoon?

A buddy of mine swears by them, but aside from that I haven't heard much else either way. Would love to hear some feedback.

they work and work well.....I have been using glow spoons since the 80's on lake Ontario,and in the last few years the glow is getting better and better all the time......I have used them for lakers as well and in the winter for ice fishing as well....

I think they work at times. Anything that catches the attention of a fish works at different times. Sometimes its a strange colour, sometimes just flash and sometimes its a bit of glow. That's why a salmon/trout lure wall at a good store has all the colours of the rainbow. None of those colours other than maybe silver black and bluish are colours of actual baitfish.

A few years ago it seemed like the only lure I would catch salmon on was a black ladderback NK magnum. The ladderback was glow tape. Now I almost never use it. Its Moonshines now that I have the best success with, in all colours except black, glow as well as non-glow. Go figure.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Canuck, good point about trying to attract/catch attention of fish rather than solely just trying to match baitfish patterns

Seems like the glow is something to include in the arsenal when heading out. I'll pick up a couple to put in the tackle box and see what happens with them.

I wish Cleos came with the Moonshine paint. The Moonshine shapes are weird and don't cast well

Not sure if they still make them, but Krocodile spoons used to come with a glow finish and those thing cast like missiles.

The only place I've seen glow spoons outperform regular spoons on a consistent basis is pier casting for staging salmon late summer/early fall after dark. Other than that they may have their day on occasion.

X2