Electric Motor Canoe Set Ups - What's yours look like?

Governator

I've got a 14 foot sportspal square stern and while I think it's cool I'd say it paddles quite poorly. I have to admit I am an inexperienced paddler though, I have to keep switching from side to side to get it to track straight. Any kind of semi strong breeze is a real pain in the ass in a sportspal. With a trolling motor it's pretty good though.

More of a worse case scenario I guess. Side-to-side in a wide transom would really suck

Edited by Governator

So what's your guys marine battery recommendation for the trolling motor? They seem to vary so much in cost, Group 27s in the $125 range at Walmart to easily $300+ elsewhere. I sort of think for my canoe set up I don't really need the AGM no maintenance battery unless I'm missing something. I'm assuming just look for the most amp hours I can afford or wish to carry lol?

I'd run longer cables to the front for weight distribution and spend $135 on the Walmart group 31. I'm pretty happy with the one I have. My new boat came with optima blue tops but I'm pretty sure that when they die I'll just replace em with Walmart batteries. I'm of the opinion that you can't have too much battery.

I'd run longer cables to the front for weight distribution and spend $135 on the Walmart group 31. I'm pretty happy with the one I have. My new boat came with optima blue tops but I'm pretty sure that when they die I'll just replace em with Walmart batteries. I'm of the opinion that you can't have too much battery.

When you run longer cables would jumper cables work? I think Group 31 is would be pretty heavy to lug around.

Yep a lot of people buy jumper cables. They can be had for $10 on sale and appropriate wire to extend the motor leads will cost more than that! Yes a 31 is heavy, no question. If your planning on backcountry fishing a small outboard and gas will be lighter.

Edited by porkpie

Yep a lot of people buy jumper cables. They can be had for $10 on sale and appropriate wire to extend the motor leads will cost more than that! Yes a 31 is heavy, no question. If your planning on backcountry fishing a small outboard and gas will be lighter.

Thanks man. Hopefully I'll have her on the water Saturday for a test run.

So I took her out on the notty for a test run. Happy to report she doesn't leak, the battery near the front worked great thanks for the tips.

I've never gone on the Nottawasaga before, does it always look like diarrhea? I dropped in off #26, I heard there is some pike in there in the summer months which would be great if true. Worth exploring more? Was thinking further south toward the wetlands.

hn8EV3h.jpg

Another tip for spending more than say 2 hours in it, is install seats. Your knees and back will thank you!

Here's what my scanoe looked like.

$30 per seat I spent

IMG_20150730_161152.jpg

I had the exact same scanoe older one with the aluminum frame,the thing was a tank u could not hurt if u tried. The down side it was a tank and not the greatest to paddle. I strapped a 5hp nissan on the back and it was a rocket,probably a little dangerous too.

Another tip for spending more than say 2 hours in it, is install seats. Your knees and back will thank you!

Here's what my scanoe looked like.

$30 per seat I spent

IMG_20150730_161152.jpg

Isn't it a little top heavy sitting up that high? Or, do you have outriggers?

Isn't it a little top heavy sitting up that high? Or, do you have outriggers?

I never used outriggers and difference from before to after wasn't noticeably anymore tippy, thought about making some as it wasn't the most stable even before the seats were in

• 3 years later...

Suppose you are speaking about seats and boats. My story is that one month ago, I bought an Old Town Rogue River 154. I installed three seats from Welugnal, and I mounted the motor to the stern. You know, it was pretty hard to find a suitable engine. But it's awesome when you have good neighbors who know their job better than me. Welugna seats I chose because my wife insisted that she needs to feel comfortable everywhere and anytime, so a canoe is not an exception. So, I trusted outdoorlifecafe.com recommendations on choosing a durable and comfortable seat for my canoe.

Edited by Lillian50

I have a squarestern with a 30 lb thrust troller on it. Works great, can troll slow all day on a group 27 if not windy. 

what I find to be a PITA is

1) the motor locks down. I’ve hit rock shelf’s twice and it’s not a happy moment. They should swing free like a kicker does in forward gear. I don’t use it enough to look at modifying. 

2) the damn tiller handle is right behind my back. I almost think I’d prefer the motor to be mounted off to one side. Maybe if I lost some of my 24 pack I’d be better off.   EDIT: I just learned that a simple mod is to rotate the control head 90 degrees to one side so it’s easier to use. “Duh, why didn’t I think of that moment!” Since my boat is currently full of holes (rivet replacement) I might actually dig out the canoe and try this mini mod. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

It's been a while since this conversation.  I'm looking to get an electric motor (preferably with solar) to put on my Sportspal flatback canoe.  I take my kids backcountry camping.  Would you kindly provide me some recommendations on the type of motor to buy and where I can get it installed?  I live in the Durham region on Ontario.

Thank you!

I have an ancient 14 footer that modified into a sqareback. Bought 16 yrs. ago for $40. I run a minnkota 30 on it and it goes just fine. I added seats hung on brackets from the gunwales.  For a low center of gravity!Since i fly fish a lot, for added stability i made up some retractable stowable outriggers. I can stand and cast. Very stable!

20200522_115321~2.jpg

20200522_083657~2.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 8:41 AM, Nisha said:

Hi folks,

It's been a while since this conversation.  I'm looking to get an electric motor (preferably with solar) to put on my Sportspal flatback canoe.  I take my kids backcountry camping.  Would you kindly provide me some recommendations on the type of motor to buy and where I can get it installed?  I live in the Durham region on Ontario.

Thank 

The transom mount motor just screws on once you get to the lake.  If it's a flat back I'd just go with gas. Lugging a battery won't be fun unless you spend big on lithium.