Need new BBQ advice! - NF

Headhunter

I've had some pretty chintzy cheap disposable BBQ's but my 8 year old CTC Centro has been an exception, I wouldn't have anything but cast iron grates and the ceramic rear rotisserie burner is sweet. I would like maybe to get a Weber Kettle for some all day, low , slow, smoky flavour. Honestly, I don't see the advantage of the BGE over the kettle for the big hit in the pocketbook. I also don't get how a enameled heat shield is worth almost 30 bucks :wallbash:

I have a gas bbq, a Traegar smoker and a Large Green Egg

Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

BBQ you can turn it on use it quickly, turn it off and your done, great for after work, rushed evenings making dinner.

EGG is a lot more involved, you need to light the charcoal, let it go through the motions letting the charcoal burn properly and let it get hot which usually takes about half hour to 45 minutes. Great for Saturday and Sunday cooking. Also your cook space on the egg being circular is limited, I have the large egg and I can only get about 8 burgers on it comfortably. There are optional tiered racks but I find them a pain in the butt to work with, no side burners, no control over temperatures from one side of the grill to the other like with a gas bbq. You can get the egg from 200 to 600 or 700 degrees, so your temps are very flexible. I did smoke some ribs one time and they turned out amazing on the egg, pizza is good, steak is good, its all good but its more of a weekend BBQ play toy drinking beer with buddies.

Traegar is awesome for brisket, ribs, fish, chicken etc, although they advertise it as a grill, it is not a grill, it is a smoker. Low and slow. Love my Traegar, makes ribs and brisket to die for.

I bought a high end Napolean from Ontario Gas BBQ 7 years ago, ($2000.00 bbq), worked great the first season. It was a propane grill and started to go through propane like it was water. Every time I turned around the tank was empty and no it was not leaking. It went through 20 lbs of propane like 2 lb bottles, would never get hot, took forever. I complained with no luck to Ontario Gas BBQ, ended up I just scrapped it in the scrap metal drive here in town, never again will I buy a Napolean. So much for buying Canadian. Absolutely hated that BBQ, most expensive piece of scrap I ever bought.

I have a Weber now and have had great luck with it after about 4 years, would definitely consider another Weber.

Just my experience.

I also have a BGE and a Napoleon natural gas. Agree with everything said above. There is a learning curve with the Egg and you develop a relationship with it. To add, to get volume out of the egg, you need to stack vertically or use rib racks etc.cook roasts etc. Its great for roasts of any kind especially roast chicken. I agree you need time to use it. Some say it only takes 15 minutes to get it to 900, but I find you need to let the fire burn for a bit to get the desired blue smoke to eliminate the rancid smoke flavour for the delicious clean charcoal flavour.

I've had my Napoleon for 16 years. The key is the stainless steel parts to achieve the longevity. I had an issue with the sear plates, called Napolean after the warranty had well expired and they send me new parts no charge. My next natural gas BBQ will be a Napoleon.

If I had to decide today, I'd look at the Traeger Timberline series (set it and forget it) and compare with the BGE for my charcoal/smoking needs. And get a Napoleon for quick grilling.

Joe, I picked up a pellet grill in Dec. haven't touched the gas grill since..

Louisiana Grills are highly thought of.. I was considering the Green Mountain for the wifi, but it takes away from the experience. you'd probably need a new phone if you went that route too :)

I should mention I have a Weber Genesis S-330, got it free from the in laws (FIL's boss didn't want it anymore... Needed something fancier I suppose ?)

I've loved it so far it's natural gas and the heat dispersion is fantastic, no hot spots and doesn't flare up. I believe it retails at $1400

Still using my Home Hardware charcoal grill for $70 as my weekender unit and my broil king natural gas for rush home BBQ Monday to Friday cooking. 8 pork burgers and 2 sirloins cooked last night

Nothing beats charcoal but most days after work I just don't have it in me to do the set up and clean up after.

Give me a nice quiet Saturday, cold beer in the garage fridge, blue jays on the radio and bam! I'm in charcoal mode

For anyone one in Mississauga you gotta check out Nations Fresh foods at Winston Churchill and 403

I just got 5 lbs of the best pork belly I've ever seen. Tons of different cuts and meats at great everyday prices

between 3 of us at work, we have a weber genesis, a broil king imperial, and vermont castings signature series, all 3 of us are more than happy with our BBQs

biggest thing to look at is what kind of warranty are you getting.

also, for parts,including structural, have a look at this site...you can basically build a whole new bbq

https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/brands/vermont-castings/

How are you starting your BGE?

HH

I use one of the chimneys you load with charcoal, a few sheets of newspaper in the bottom and light it up. It probably takes 10-15 minutes to get the charcoal glowing, and another 10 minutes or so to get it ready for cooking. I use it all year at home, also have one at the cottage.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. the hunt continues...

And by way of clarification, I stated earlier in this thread that my brother's egg would reach 900 degrees, I was wrong. 6-700 is more realistic. Sorry about that!

HH

PS... Bitsmith, you wanna buy a used phone? LOL

I'm not going to be much help here for you but maybe others.

I buy the cheapest one I can find of the size I need.

It lasts about 5 or 6 years and then trash it

The last one I got was identical to the previous and it cost $179.00 at Home depot

Does everything I want it to do.

I use to buy the $1500.00 to $2000.00 jobs they all ended up going the same route eventually.

How are you starting your BGE?

HH

I use the natural charcoal starters mostly. 99% of my egg'ing is done on the weekends where i've got more time, so i usually cut a starter cube or two into a few pieces and spread it amongst the charcoal. About 15-20 i've got the grill on getting hot and ready to cook. Found this video when i was doing my research, but dont know if i'd try it -

I was sick and tired of putting my expensive gas grills back together after on shore winds would blow it off the deck during a storm. The NG hose stopped it from going next door. So I picked up a unit from a liquidator in Brantford for less than 150 bucks. It works just fine and isn't moving now that I drove 6" lag screws into the 2X6's on the deck. Should have done that years ago.

Watched a guy that has a grilling show yesterday on The Food Channel, of course I forget his name, Rick something. Wow that is a machine. Looks like a giant Bee Hive and is covered with small ceramic tiles top to bottom, and it's huge. Smoker/wood/charcoal/gas with spit. He has another that has spit that has a wheel that raises and lowers the spit to where you want over the heat.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Like others, I have the Green Egg and a Weber Grill.

Weber is just for speed and close to deck BBQ.

I love the Green Egg, I do everything on it.. Smoking salmon, pizza, steak, turkey .. Only issue is that its not a push button and go.

Yes you can get it all ready and up to temp in about 20 min but there is cool down time afterwards, make sure you have charcoal ready. All takes time.

Its a labor of love not designed for speed.

Weber Kettle and a Smokenator 1000 attachment. Simple and good. Fits a whole turkey for our yearly Christmas party, and up to 4 racks of ribs plus baked potatoes.

Takes a bit more babysitting than a BGE or pellet smoker, but I picked up a wireless thermometer so I can keep an eye on temperatures while doing things around the house. Little adjustment every hour or so and you're good to go.

Well Joe I got this 3.5 years ago when I moved here and it's still going strong for a 'lesser quality' grill. Gas on the left and charcoal on the right (also for woods for smoking). Not saying it's the be all end all grill but has me covered and I paid $300 plus tax on sale http://www.tscstores.com/3-BURNER-PROPANECHARCOAL-BBQ-P12041.aspx#.WUKwPJLyvcs

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I do appreciate it!

I just got back from BBQ World in Whitby.... interesting place, but in reality, they have a fairly limited selection; Napoleon, Weber, Broil King and then stuff north of 5K. They also have a number of charcoal units of various size and configuration.

After seeing what's there and the pricing attached to some of the stuff, I am now leaning back towards a gas grill vs EGG etc...

I need a side burner as I refuse to heat my house in the summer with my stove. Combine the costs associated with the BGE or any of the other similar units, I am getting close to 3K for what I would want - too much money for this boy!

I looked at both Weber and Broil King - if forced, I would get the Broil King as the Weber feels like a toy to me.

That all said, the winner so far, is the Napoleon Prestige 5. Big enough for my needs, has the infra-red side burner, rotisserie that I don't want/need and can run charcoal as well.

My biggest challenge in truth, is that the bar has been set pretty darn high, with my current unit. Bought in 2003, I have not had one thing go wrong, until recently. I have expectations that my next unit "should" last that long, probably unrealistic.

Thanks to all who suggested getting a cheapo unit, but that makes no sense to me as I use my BBQ way too much to be dealing with the usual nonsense that comes with ownership of a cheapo... buy new H burners every year etc...

HH

I grill probably 150 times a year! I cook virtually everything I can on my grill and some things you probably shouldn't... I just don't get a sense from either the BBQs or the sales people that I am going to have my new unit for as long as my VC (14 years). I cook more chicken wings than Hooters!!!!!! Ok, slight exaggeration, but if I had a dollar for every pound of wings that have hit my grill in the last 14 years, I'd have enough to buy a commercial grade BBQ with ease!

HH

Edit to add- I'd BBQ Froot Loops if they didn't fall through the grill...

Edited by Headhunter

I grill probably 150 times a year! I cook virtually everything I can on my grill and some things you probably shouldn't... I just don't get a sense from either the BBQs or the sales people that I am going to have my new unit for as long as my VC (14 years). I cook more chicken wings than Hooters!!!!!! Ok, slight exaggeration, but if I had a dollar for every pound of wings that have hit my grill in the last 14 years, I'd have enough to buy a commercial grade BBQ with ease!

HH

HH you need one of these and then you can BBQ Froot Loops to your hearts content!!! :D

https://www.coppergrillmat.com/?mid=9036090

HH

lol i hear ya, a friend of mine cooks on his exlcusively in the summer, no A/C in the house, so they don't use the oven ever. he even bakes on it.

i use the side burner on mine as a make shift deep fryer for wings, stock pot half full of oil.

i bought my VC used off of kijiji, its 7 years old, but works like new

Anyone had any experiences with Crown Verity grills?

I think that might be my next grill, Wally Parr down the road uses theirs everyday to cook sausage for their store.

I should ask them how they like that grill, its been the same grill for years.

I know they are not cheap!

I think that might be my next grill, Wally Parr down the road uses theirs everyday to cook sausage for their store.

Used to stop in at Wally's every time I passed it!!! Good snausages!!! ^_^

they are a commercial grade BBQ, made to last for years of heavy cooking