Need new BBQ advice! - NF

Headhunter

Hi All,

Well, my long time cooking companion, my Vermont Castings BBQ is finally starting to give up on me. I bought it a some expense back in 2003. It has served me well and owes me nothing at this point.
I am a BBQ kind of guy, and will BBQ all year round, unless and until the outside temp gets below -15C.
I am looking for suggestions on what to look at to replace my VC. Price range is in and around the $2K CAD range. I am open to either natural gas or charcoal.
My brother has a Big Green Egg and honestly, that is direction I am leaning towards. That said, I am open to suggestions and hoping to get a cross section of advice, based on the international flavour of this site. (see what I did there!LOL).
Thanks for you time...
HH

I'm assuming your current VC was still made stateside and weighs like 200lbs? lol I've got a similar one and will repair it until it completely falls apart. That being said my parents have a Napoleon (Bought directly from them, not at Crappy Tire) and it's been fantastic.

I'm assuming your current VC was still made stateside and weighs like 200lbs? lol I've got a similar one and will repair it until it completely falls apart. That being said my parents have a Napoleon (Bought directly from them, not at Crappy Tire) and it's been fantastic.

Yah Bill, I bought mine when they were first available in Canada. It weighs a ton! The burners look like the day I brought it home, the "body" or frame if you will has deteriorated to the point I am concerned it will just fall over one day soon!

What has pushed me to entertain a new grill? One of the valves for the main burners has frozen. My guess would be grime from cleaning the grill has finally gotten into the valve stem and jammed it up.

big difference between grilling and smoking with an Egg vs gas. Do you want to throw meat on the grill quickly (ie-winter) ? Also do you entertain a lot and need lots of grill real estate ?

I do entertain a lot, with numbers of people ranging from 10 to 75! My brother, using his Egg, cooked 50lbs of pulled pork on his egg and brought it to a party we had. He also makes his own bacon on it.

I have some interest in smoking, but it is not my main concern. Also, my brother uses his egg year round, uses an electric charcoal starter and tells me he can get up to 900F in 15 minutes. That's pretty quick. My biggest issue with the Egg, is a lack of a side burner. I know I can build a system, inclusive of the egg and side burner, but that leads me to a further expense and a construction project to integrate both into one package.

So, that's why I am looking at both gas and charcoal.

Friends with the high end Napoleon are getting less than a decade out of their BBQ's, maybe I am spoiled!

HH

15' ? that's pretty damned fast ! Sounds like a gas would be better and u can still smoke on that with a proper cast iron smoke box and chunks (not fan of chips).

when I win the lottery and buy my dream cottage, on a nice pike and bass lake, this is what I'll be getting to help feed the masses ;) that thing eats a HUGE bag of lump like a snack lol

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/ranch-kettle-charcoal-grill

Edited by woodenboater

I bought a kamado big Joe last year after summer as a clear out before the huge price increase, and it is fantastic. Haven't used my Broil King BBQ since. Have used it for grilling, smoking and pizzas. It does take slightly longer, as the coals have to get lit, but if you plan your meal prior, not a big deal starting it up and then prepping while it heats.

Hey Joe. Napoleon is open on the weekends. You can buy direct from the factory store. I will say this though. They are not like they were years back. Before it was 100% made in Canada. They now bring parts in from China. So Made in Canada, should read, assembled in Canada.

Edited by Misfish

I have a gas bbq, a Traegar smoker and a Large Green Egg

Each have their advantages and disadvantages.

BBQ you can turn it on use it quickly, turn it off and your done, great for after work, rushed evenings making dinner.

EGG is a lot more involved, you need to light the charcoal, let it go through the motions letting the charcoal burn properly and let it get hot which usually takes about half hour to 45 minutes. Great for Saturday and Sunday cooking. Also your cook space on the egg being circular is limited, I have the large egg and I can only get about 8 burgers on it comfortably. There are optional tiered racks but I find them a pain in the butt to work with, no side burners, no control over temperatures from one side of the grill to the other like with a gas bbq. You can get the egg from 200 to 600 or 700 degrees, so your temps are very flexible. I did smoke some ribs one time and they turned out amazing on the egg, pizza is good, steak is good, its all good but its more of a weekend BBQ play toy drinking beer with buddies.

Traegar is awesome for brisket, ribs, fish, chicken etc, although they advertise it as a grill, it is not a grill, it is a smoker. Low and slow. Love my Traegar, makes ribs and brisket to die for.

I bought a high end Napolean from Ontario Gas BBQ 7 years ago, ($2000.00 bbq), worked great the first season. It was a propane grill and started to go through propane like it was water. Every time I turned around the tank was empty and no it was not leaking. It went through 20 lbs of propane like 2 lb bottles, would never get hot, took forever. I complained with no luck to Ontario Gas BBQ, ended up I just scrapped it in the scrap metal drive here in town, never again will I buy a Napolean. So much for buying Canadian. Absolutely hated that BBQ, most expensive piece of scrap I ever bought.

I have a Weber now and have had great luck with it after about 4 years, would definitely consider another Weber.

Just my experience.

smellybox, that is not the experience I have heard from my brother. He has had his Egg for years. He uses an electric charcoal starter and he tells me 15 minutes is all it takes to get it up to temp. That's pretty much what my VC takes to get to operating temperature.

I should have mentioned in my OP that I will not consider Weber as to my mind, they are way over priced for what you get.

Lucas F, I will have a look at green mountain grills and thanks for the suggestion.

Brian, Napoleon has been on my radar for a while now, but friends who have them, bought in the last decade or so, have had problems to the point of requiring a full re-build. I would like to avoid that.

Keep 'em coming folks, I really do appreciate all input - except Weber!LOL

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Have you looked at Blaze BBQs?

Or the broil king regal s590 is another great propane grill(after my pops bought one and seeing how great it is, im getting one myself)

I have looked at Blaze, they seem really nice. Problem I am having though is that I can't seem to find a local dealer?

HH

I'm not going to be much help here for you but maybe others.

I buy the cheapest one I can find of the size I need.

It lasts about 5 or 6 years and then trash it

The last one I got was identical to the previous and it cost $179.00 at Home depot

Does everything I want it to do.

I have looked at Blaze, they seem really nice. Problem I am having though is that I can't seem to find a local dealer?

HH

Bummer. They have a model that's around your price range and it's really nice! I think it's called the BLZ 5 LP

I shopped around on a site called BBQ guys.com

Lotsa nice grills on there and reviews too

Edited by manitoubass2

Thanks Dara, i have been down the cheap BBQ road. MY VC cost me over 2K 14 years ago. Doing the math, that equals about $150.00 /year for a fantastic BBQ that NEVER let me down. Heck, I could put a pound of bacon on the grills and it would not flame up!

I am hoping for a similar experience as I have had with my VC. Heck, I'll take a decade of solid use, if I can find the right tool.

I BBQ about 150 times a year, cooking everything you typically grill and everything else from cakes to lasagna. It's important to me that I have a good BBQ that I can and will rely on.

HH

LOVE my BGE. It is possible to get it to cooking temp in about 15 - 20 mins - look for tips on YouTube. I get home too late during the week so it mostly gets used on weekends while my old gas Weber holds down the weekdays. After much research, i went with the XL and have no regrets. I'd advise not to go any smaller if you can afford it.

Best thing i've made on it to date - grilled rabbit. Brined for 24hrs. Was incredible. I've also done our thanksgiving turkey on it and pizza (using the pizza stone).

Thanks Dara, i have been down the cheap BBQ road. MY VC cost me over 2K 14 years ago. Doing the math, that equals about $150.00 /year for a fantastic BBQ that NEVER let me down. Heck, I could put a pound of bacon on the grills and it would not flame up!

I am hoping for a similar experience as I have had with my VC. Heck, I'll take a decade of solid use, if I can find the right tool.

I BBQ about 150 times a year, cooking everything you typically grill and everything else from cakes to lasagna. It's important to me that I have a good BBQ that I can and will rely on.

HH

I hear ya! I do have a chinsy unit from Walmart that I just use for hotdogs etc, but it's basically destroyed from a storm a year or two back lol

I def. Don't mind paying top dollar for a great grill. I too BBQ at least 150 days per year. Those cheap units can't handle the volume, or they heat uneven or whatever. Not worth the hassle unless you just cook hotdogs or burgers.

When you find the one, let us know what ya got!

Edited by manitoubass2

LOVE my BGE. It is possible to get it to cooking temp in about 15 - 20 mins - look for tips on YouTube. I get home too late during the week so it mostly gets used on weekends while my old gas Weber holds down the weekdays. After much research, i went with the XL and have no regrets. I'd advise not to go any smaller if you can afford it.

Best thing i've made on it to date - grilled rabbit. Brined for 24hrs. Was incredible. I've also done our thanksgiving turkey on it and pizza (using the pizza stone).

How are you starting your BGE?

HH

I hear ya! I do have a chinsy unit from Walmart that I just use for hotdogs etc, but it's basically destroyed from a storm a year or two back lol

I def. Don't mind paying top dollar for a great grill. I too BBQ at least 150 days per year. Those cheap units can't handle the volume, or they heat uneven or whatever. Not worth the hassle unless you just cook hotdogs or burgers.

When you find the one, let us know what ya got!

I paid more for my BBQ, than I did for my stove! I'll update the thread as I progress. I plan on hitting BBQ World in Whitby in the next couple of days https://www.barbecueworld.com/to get a better idea of what I want/need and pricing. Web sites are good for narrowing things down, but I'm a hands on guy and I need to touch them if you know what I mean!LOL

HH

I paid more for my BBQ, than I did for my stove! I'll update the thread as I progress. I plan on hitting BBQ World in Whitby in the next couple of days https://www.barbecueworld.com/to get a better idea of what I want/need and pricing. Web sites are good for narrowing things down, but I'm a hands on guy and I need to touch them if you know what I mean!LOL

HH

Yep! I only use the web as a guide. Buy local where I can see the products(for me that means Winnipeg lol.

Check out that broilking unit though. I've used my dad's and it's awesome! Can't speak on longevity as he just got it last summer, but it's built well. No chinsy parts, cooks as even as possible, no flare ups, and if I remember correctly it's a 40". I think it retails around $1200 ish which is not bad at all.

I hardly use our oven lol. Between the BBQ and crock pot, the oven is basically just used for sauces/side dishes if needed

Why cook inside when you can cook outside?