J B weld skag repair

bow slayer

I've successfully used JB Weld to fill holes and dents in metal, never to try and piece together two parts. I would just put the skeg guard on. That's what I did when I broke off a piece of my skeg years ago. If you don't have enough skeg left without the broken piece, I would get it fixed by a welder. That being said tho, I suppose there is no harm in trying, you only out a few bucks if it doesn't work.

Get a coarse file and rough up about 1 cm or more around the existing broken skeg both sides. Remove paint and rough up metal. Provides more surface area to adhere and gives lateral support. Then cover this area with JB and extend out further than you need. Make sure hardens straight. Once rock hard can cut to shape with hacksaw and smooth with file. Paint if you want.

Did mine 3 yrs ago. Still good.

Badaboom.

When my trolling motor skeg broke from accidentally hitting the boat ramp on my way in. I improvised and created a skeg using the soft plastic chopping board as material. Before gluing them together, I sanded my trolling motor off all excess paint to bare metal, them I glued the plastic skeg to the motor using fibreglass auto bondo. The plastic and bondo was easy to create into the shape of a skeg. I put extra bondo material on the Motor and the outside of the cut up plastic skeg. The fibreglass bondo was strong. I was always careful since then that I never allowed any rocks to touch my Trolling motor again. the improvised skeg never came off in years I owned the Trolling motor.

I have never fixed my own broken skeg off my boat engine, When the lower unit was damaged and skeg broke off once, I took the lower unit off by myself, and let a professional guy weld another piece in and patch the lower unit.

Edited by bassfighter