Banjo Trolling Rod & Reel

Spanky80

A co-worker recently had a devastating fire that destroyed his family’s home and garage, thankfully the all were able to escape the blaze without injury. If the fire had started an hour later when they were in bed the result would have been terrible. It will be a long road back for them.

My co-worker is also a fisherman, and unfortunately lost all his gear in the fire. I’ve lent him some gear and rods so he can get out fishing in the short-term.

The question I have for the OFC’ers is the possible replacement of an old “banjo rod and reel” that was lost in the fire. It uses steel line, and is used for deep water trolling, typically for lakers. It has a two-handed grip with an aluminum bracket, the second grip has a mechanical lever that controls the drag via a leather pad on the reel. The one that my co-worker had was in pristine condition, and he used it often at his camp near Temagami.

His house insurance will cover the cost, the difficulty will be in finding one…I feel bad for him and would like to try and help him out.

My question is, would any of you have one for sale, or know of one that the owner would consider selling?

I have 2 hanging on my shed. 1 is smaller than the other. 1 was in new condition when I bought it at a garage sale. I was told by an oldtimer it is a Halibut rod and reel. He can have one at no charge, free, nada other than covering the shipping cost. Let me know via PM. I am so happy no one was injured or worse. I can't imagine the sence of loss we would feel if everything we had was lost in a house fire. Things that aren't worth anything to anyone than us such as family photos my wife has that were her Great-Great Grandfather and Mothers dating back to the invention of the camera. Only stuff compared to loosing a loved one but it must hurt badly.

I see you are in Pembroke, we had a hunt/fish camp just outside of Westmeath on Lake Coulange a section of the Ottawa River. I know the area all to well, beautiful country. We ended up there in the 80's when one of the old timers from the plant retired there. He was interned in Camp Pettawawa during the War, actually with my Grand Father. Even though he was a prisoner and born in Canada he loved the area so much he went back there to hunt and fish ever since the end of the War, crazy. And a member of our crew from Hamilton loved it so much he and his wife retired to Westmeath. I wonder if the old hotel is still there in Fort Coulange on the Quebec side? Man I have stories.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have 2 hanging on my shed. 1 is smaller than the other. 1 was in new condition when I bought it at a garage sale. I was told by an oldtimer it is a Halibut rod and reel. He can have one at no charge, free, nada other than covering the shipping cost. Let me know via PM. I am so happy no one was injured or worse. I can't imagine the sence of loss we would feel if everything we had was lost in a house fire. Things that aren't worth anything to anyone than us such as family photos my wife has that were her Great-Great Grandfather and Mothers dating back to the invention of the camera. Only stuff compared to loosing a loved one but it must hurt badly.

I see you are in Pembroke, we had a hunt/fish camp just outside of Westmeath on Lake Coulange a section of the Ottawa River. I know the area all to well, beautiful country. We ended up there in the 80's when one of the old timers from the plant retired there. He was interned in Camp Pettawawa during the War, actually with my Grand Father. Even though he was a prisoner and born in Canada he loved the area so much he went back there to hunt and fish ever since the end of the War, crazy. And a member of our crew from Hamilton loved it so much he and his wife retired to Westmeath. I wonder if the old hotel is still there in Fort Coulange on the Quebec side? Man I have stories.

My gawd Ironmaker, that is incredibly generous of you! I will pass this on to him tomorrow at work, and will be in touch with you via PM shortly. I just recently met this fellow at work, and he has been very supportive of me in a new position I have there, and this happens to him and his family. You feel like I do...I hate that this happened and want to try and help him out.

I agree, it is beautiful country here, on both sides of the river (Quebec). There is never a shortage of things to do, great fishing, awesome snowmobiling, and the ATV'ing and fishing is incredible on the Quebec side (that's where we were Saturday). The Ottawa River in this area is a great fishery and very scenic. Amazing history in this area, I enjoy reading up on the logging that went on back in the day. I actually work at the "plant", now unfortunately owned/operated by an American consortium, privatized from AECL (thanks to the neanderthal previous government and our useless MP). If my job exists when I reach retirement, I have no plans to leave here. Very peaceful!

Edited by Spanky