Shimano JDM Reels ?

chong

I'm looking to get a new baitcast and looking at the Shimano Scorpion 71xg (curado71xg) ,do you think its

worth it ?

What are the advantages of a JDM reel if any?

The Scorpion is 200$usd shipped , so it's about 280$cad.

It depends on what you are buying, and if it's exclusive to Japan.

There's been a ton of overlap lately , and many reels are now available here.

Depending on reel model, it might not make sense due to warranty and price. There are several sites online that will guide you in the right direction on pretty much any reel, including the scorpion you're asking about. In your case, I'd say buy a curado 70 on sale locally, unless you want the colour difference.

Thankfully, many usdm and JDM reels share similar parts , especially mechanically.

Good luck !

IMO, short of colour scheme, the reels are identical. I have purchased higher end reels from Japan as the price difference makes it worth while. But at the price point you are looking at, there isn't much difference.

Even with the higher end models these days, the differences are minimal on most reels. The Metanium did come with a shallower spool than the USDM version though.

I like the color of the scorpion more than the curado and like having a reel others don't have.

It's a mass produced reel, others do have it. It's not as common to see locally per se, but it's not exclusive/rare.

But if you like the colour and enjoy knowing where it was sourced from , it's a no brainer. Price after all said and done isn't bad

Buy it !