lake ontario pier fishing. what can I catch while waiting for bass season?

huzzsaba

Haven't had much luck with catching anything besides bass from port credit/oakville harbour/Bronte, especially during the Summer months.

I can't get out of the city for a few weeks to fish other waters, but am itching to at least fish for something so the piers are my best bet. Given that bass season is closed for now, is there anything else that I can catch off the piers with a worm and hook?

I know piers like port maitland, there are a variety fish (walleye, perch, catfish,sheephead and the list goes on), but as far as I know lake Ontario piers are only known for the usual salmon,steelhead and of course carp. I did remember seeing someone catch silver fish (probably silver bass or white perch) on a spoon, but that was a rare sight.

Any insight would be appreciated. Basically just want to relax and fish without suspicion that I am targetting bass. Maybe I have to get into carp fishing lol.

if only they can open bass season earlier by a few weeks :dunno:. they are all over the place!

Thanks

Edited by huzzsaba

With an off shore wind and good water temps , I've got Brown Trout off the shore here right up till the end of June, pier is under about 6 inches of water right now , but there is a good new casting location on the Waterfront Trail at the Casablanca interchange off the QEW.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.211885,-79.5986122,579m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edited by dave524

its anyones guess, north winds and cold water piled up on shore, with bait, anythings possible ive seen Chinooks caught in early July at night, browns bows and ho's, walleye, pike, gar and the list is endless, plus obese carp

I've found the opposite, offshore wind pushes the warm water out and cold water wells up behind it , bringing fish onshore even into early summer.

edit : thirty plus years here, I've caught virtually everything except a Walleye and a Muskie off the Grimsby pier and mouth of Forty Creek, even a few Eels back in the 80's.

Edited by dave524

Take your worm and fish. If you are in an area where you see bass redds, leave and move on.

There are tons of opportunities for in season fish in lake o while casting an earthworm that don't involve OOS species. There are way more species eager to hit that are in season vs OOS.

Fish my friend, but be respectful of our resources.

I've found the opposite, offshore wind pushes the warm water out and cold water wells up behind it , bringing fish onshore even into early summer.

edit : thirty plus years here, I've caught virtually everything except a Walleye and a Muskie off the Grimsby pier and mouth of Forty Creek, even a few Eels back in the 80's.

Thats what i mentioned in a different with different phrasing

A wind out of the north could be blowing towards or away from shore depending on which side of the lake you are on.

I've caught sheepshead, white bass, smallmouth bass, coho, pink, chinook, rainbow, browns, atlantics, rock bass, lakers, pike, carp, perch, walleye a goby as well as a few seagulls all off the shore of Lake O. ;)

Actually over here on the south shore, largemouth are more common than smallmouth, especially in harbours like 50 Point and Jordan.