Shipping fishing rod....

scugpg

I need to ship a rod cross province and was wondering what the easiest way to do so is. Was thinking of some plastic tubing from a hardware store with caps on it with the rod wrapped in cloth inside. It's quite long at 9ft so not sure which carriers will handle this too. Hoping some have experience on here to share.

Thanks

I make a rod case out of 3" PVC pipe; one end cap and one threaded cap; that I got at home depot. Glued it together put the rod(s) in and then dumped a bunch of shipping popcorn into the tube. Had Purolator courier it for me to my destination.

Made it out of PVC rather then cardboard tubing, for the fact I didn't know how rough the purolator handlers were going to be.

Dan.

Yes, PVC and bubble wrap around the rods at either end (taped in place) to keep it centered in the tube.
Funny enough I did get a shipment of blanks once (PVC) with forklift tire marks across it, every blank inside destroyed including an irreplaceable blank from Batson as it was the last one they had of an older model. Ya, I was pissed.

Yes, PVC and bubble wrap around the rods at either end (taped in place) to keep it centered in the tube.

Funny enough I did get a shipment of blanks once (PVC) with forklift tire marks across it, every blank inside destroyed including an irreplaceable blank from Batson as it was the last one they had of an older model. Ya, I was pissed.

Like I said, should have used ABS! :(:)

Edited by SirCranksaLot

PVC with test caps on the ends, and rod wrapped up securely and the ends cushioned so the rod can't knock around. Not going to be cheap at that length.

I was told last time I dropped one off at the post office that they do tack an extra charge on for round items and tubes, as they tend to roll off the conveyor belts and cause extra work. I was going to look into finding a triangular mailing tube to go around the PVC next time to see if I could save that charge.

. I was going to look into finding a triangular mailing tube to go around the PVC next time to see if I could save that charge.

Look around at tackle swaps or yard sales, Fenwick at one time used a plastic triangular tube for their rods, bought a few from Greeny when he had the rod business in Mt. Hope.

I've shipped rods to Alaska and BC as part of extra sports baggage a few times in a 4" ABS rod tube. Not had any issues. I padded rods with bubble wrap for extra insurance. If the baggage handlers wanted to ruin your day no amount of packing and tube strength will matter.

Years ago on a direct Air Canada flight from Montreal to Vancouver, a baggage truck managed to smash 4 rods in a ABS tube. We could see the tire marks on the tube. Apologies were not offered, and pursuit of damages was a waste of time.

Absolute pain. Shipping prices in Canada vs USA is obscene. I think I used to ship UPS , but it's been a while.

A strong schedule 40 abs is durable as hell , but costs more (a lot more). Lol forklifts are heavy, have short wheel bases, and weight displacement/transfer is different then an automobile that is equiped with shocks and tires! lol so I can't say it will withstand that, but you can definitely drive a sedan over it!

As stated by spiel and others-pack the but and tip with bubble wrap , and in a few other places throughout the length of the rod. You want it to have no movement up or down/side to side , aside from what the bubble wrap affords, BUDD.

I've shipped rods to Alaska and BC as part of extra sports baggage a few times in a 4" ABS rod tube. Not had any issues. I padded rods with bubble wrap for extra insurance. If the baggage handlers wanted to ruin your day no amount of packing and tube strength will matter.

Years ago on a direct Air Canada flight from Montreal to Vancouver, a baggage truck managed to smash 4 rods in a ABS tube. We could see the tire marks on the tube. Apologies were not offered, and pursuit of damages was a waste of time.

That sounds malicious and quite deliberate!

I once traveled with my clothes in a canoe barrel and my rods in a pipe. The AC agent warned me that they were not responsible for damage in those 'non-standard' containers. I was tempted to say that I was using those containers so even AC couldn't damage them. I guess I was wrong.

When I was working we had a big honkin chunk of metal(with some moving parts) shipped back to us from a test facility in the US. Some cowboy forklift driver in the Atlanta managed to drive into it---- presumably at a good speed as the quite sturdy wood crate was smashed to bits!

May be cheaper just to use cardboard and pay for the insurance. I've received several rods from the US in cardboard boxes w/o any packing. They arrived fine.

I've also had a golf club shipped that way and it was destroyed. Graphite shaft..lol

Its its going to get run over, not much will protect it.

There are two grades of PVC available to customers one is schedule 40 ridgid PVC VS schedule 40 foamcore. PVC. The foamcore has not for pressure written on the outside and is cheaper. Foamcore is easier to damage and you will find it is cheaper if they have both types. The ability to crush of PVC and ABS is about the same in fact ABS is not easily found in the US nowadays. The use of a FIP fitting with a plug on both ends will make it stronger and easier to get the rods in and out.

Art