Another Weekend at Bernie's - Spring 2017 Edition

ccmtcanada

Three times a year, a group of us is lucky to be invited up to Bernie's paradise up on Lake Nipissing. Why he keeps inviting us back, I have no idea....but I'm sure glad he does!

This trips cast of characters included Headhunter (Joe), Fishnsled (Will), Rubin and myself. Will, Joe and Rubin arrived at my place at 640am Friday morning and we started our trek north. We knew the weather wasn't going be great on Sunday, but we were hoping to spend some time on the water on Friday and Saturday. Our trip was up was unevenful, and we arrived at the island around 1030am. After some quick conversation to catch up since we were all together last, some sandwiches for lunch, we decided to hit the water in search of some walleye or pike.

FCE14E5A-BA45-46A4-A34C-3D2BB98C73FE_zps

A3BBAC55-320D-46AF-B833-674B2F7818DB_zps

628B2D0D-1BB0-4369-9234-B9298213867F_zps

We got back to the cottage around 530-6pm and had a jerk pork roast....courtesy of Joe! We are truly blessed with great food while we are up there. You might say saying "bless you" was a common occurrence, much to the chagrin of Rubin....

We went back out after dinner to see what we could find...caught a lot of small walleye, but one time I pulled up this BLUE perch! It was very odd....but pretty cool to see

A373E036-E447-4C17-92BA-4D8F3D0CC00F_zps

Me and this little guy admiring the sunset view!!!

F0976D59-E658-435D-8739-DFD66EF1CE3B_zps

47E6A68A-7E64-4EBB-A749-103DE823E553_zps

We headed back in at sunset and relaxed and chatted the evening away....we were all pretty tired from the early start we had that morning!!

Saturday morning came, and for once we actually made it out on the water before noon!! LOL. It was a little chilly, but the bite was on....couldn't quite catch a keeper, but we had a few that were very close.

710A8208-A966-42AD-AEF4-67D17A812C47_zps

BA567475-6013-4251-AE09-752718A5BAAD_zps

52DD4C6C-BB1E-4ADE-BE88-C9349F4B618A_zps

rubin%20fish_zpsmuvyb4ye.jpg

Joe_zpsu3epsfxt.jpg

If you look really really closely at this picture....enlarge it about to about 10x magnification, you can see that Joe caught a fish! At least we think it was a fish....

A2A0B42B-48AC-4C55-B296-8AA8BCF1DF09_zps

We headed in around noon for lunch. Will was going to barbecue some home made burgers....and by then we were all pretty hungry! First, the grill, which hadn't been used in about a year, needed cleaned up a bit. I asked Bernie if he had a scraper. He said "Of course I do", then proceeded to pick up his garden rake....

E3135A4E-E72B-45F2-93E8-D2EA981F376A_zps

After lunch (probably 2/3 pound burgers), we headed back out and fished until the sun went down. Here's a few pics....

2104E61B-D9F2-4C60-A9D5-888335EEB2B6_zps

D6C1A198-3493-4355-BBD7-82C74C1FE210_zps

ABB0B216-EE92-4ADC-A9D5-52E19F4AD143_zps

16914CC4-2EA6-405C-B015-A754B8E04CC1_zps

Then, Will brought all the fun to a stop. After bringing a walleye into the boat, it thrashed all around and did this....

72E87219-3C8D-44FA-B864-CEA986130C75_zps

A quick snip with the cutters, and Will was fishing again in about 5 minutes

We stayed out til it got dark again...

D4557051-03D4-42FC-8598-48564CF658BF_zps

That was the end of our fishing....we watched a few Jays games, watched Nashville beat Pittsburgh, and even found time to watch a few movies.

Sunday was an iffy day weather wise....so we had some lunch and hit the road!

Another chapter of the Weekend at Bernie's chapter has closed. Great company, great friends, great food, great time fishing....cant beat it! Bless you guys....these weekends are needed to keep sane in today's world!

Edited by ccmt

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder Chris! And you hit the nail right on the head. My search is constant, seeking the ugliest most offensive shirt I can find... I am getting close! LOL

Thanks for doing the report Cliff!

HH

Good times boys! Don't a couple of you's play guitars? I never see any jam sessions in the reports....whats up with that?? I don't go anywhere without mine. I even hauled it 12 km into a hunt camp in the middle of winter LOL....

S.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder Chris! And you hit the nail right on the head. My search is constant, seeking the ugliest most offensive shirt I can find... I am getting close! LOL

Thanks for doing the report Cliff!

HH

LOL.....It's not an easy task Joe, but you're obviously doing well.

Never give up my friend. :)

Would you guys happen to have been down in the south end of the lake? The shots you took of sat looks very similar of the sunset we had the same day!

Hey l2p...yep...that's sounds about right! Saw lots of boats out there that evening.

It's kind of a pretty, ugly, though Joe!

Good stuff guys. Jiggin' eyes or trolling?

Looks like good times :clapping: I have an identical BBQ, for a CTC product it has been real good, the infrared rotisserie is awesome. Wife threw my brass BBQ bush away, said they are dangerous, a garden rake you say .

Crushed aluminum foil works quite well.

Crushed aluminum foil works quite well.

Put the grates on the steel bed of the landscape trailer and hit them with the 3200 psi gas power washer, re-oiled the cast iron and good to go. Thanks for the tip on the foil, it should work in between, wife is pretty anal about clean grates, me , not so much :canadian: