Salvaging water contaminated gas

floater

I have about 150 liters of gas in red jerry cans that has been contaminated by water. Is there a way to test how far down the gas ends and the water layer begins? I'm trying to salvage the gas. Last year I had to take 200 liters to the dump and don't want to waste it again.

Gas stations use a paste that they smear on a dip stick to test their tanks for water. It turns colour up to the point where the water is on the bottom. Try NAPA or something similar for it. Then all you have to do is siphon/pump off the gas and leave the water for disposal. (I'd maybe add a couple of inches leeway)

Edited by floatman55

How does that much water get in your fuel, 2 years running?

Don't do what a local did last month, used an electric pump to transfer fuel from a 40 gallon barrel to Jerry cans and burned down his house and a few vehicles. Lucky the guy didn't kill himself.

Now you tell me about the electric pump!!! I have a Boston whaler with a 300 liter tank. I had a bad pick up plate gasket and with all this rain some got into the gas and stalled both motors. I've been pumping out tanks using a 12 volt pump from Princess Auto for years now! I've been looking for an alternative method for this but can't find any other way to do it. I'm looking at one of those transfer pumps you put on a barrel and just crank the handle. I figure it's shaft will fit in the opening for the tank mounted fuel gauge and try to pump out the tank that way. I know carry a red boat can with me on the Whaler just in case. Paddling that 4000 lb canoe sucks!

Worked in a plant that used millions of gallons of paint and solvent, all the pumps ran on the air compressor WITH GROUNDING STRAPS!!!

edit : and plastic or aluminum piping

Edited by dave524

get a vacuum pump gravel cleaner for a fishtank, they have different sized suction heads and use a rubber bulb on the end of a hose to create suction, stick it in the tank on the bottom, start the suction. you can get a small one for $10

i use one in the truck to change out the summer washer fluid for winter stuff before it freezes

Durable-1-7M-5-5ft-Fish-Bowl-Fish-Tank-A

you can get them with different sized suction tubes as well

Python-Pro-Clean-300x272.jpg

I picked up one of those syphon hoses that CTC sells for fuel transfer. It has a brass fitting with a ball at one end and open ended at the other. You shake the end with the ball bearing in it and stick it in the tank you want to syphon fuel from. Magically gas flows to the tank you need the fill up. I had never seen one until the fish cleaning lady at the marina showed me a few years ago. Trying to tip a 10 gallon fuel tank into the filler that is on the starboard side of the boat and the slip is on the port side is difficult to do, prone to spillage inside the boat and it is illegal to fuel when inside the boat to boot. It would take a tad longer but safer than using an electric pump and cheaper than using a flammable proof air compressor and polymer pump for flammable liquids. They actually move fuel quickly. I don't know the proper name for these fuel syphons, TSC and Princess Auto has them too. 10 bucks each I think.

I picked up one of those syphon hoses that CTC sells for fuel transfer. It has a brass fitting with a ball at one end and open ended at the other. You shake the end with the ball bearing in it and stick it in the tank you want to syphon fuel from. Magically gas flows to the tank you need the fill up. I had never seen one until the fish cleaning lady at the marina showed me a few years ago. Trying to tip a 10 gallon fuel tank into the filler that is on the starboard side of the boat and the slip is on the port side is difficult to do, prone to spillage inside the boat and it is illegal to fuel when inside the boat to boot. It would take a tad longer but safer than using an electric pump and cheaper than using a flammable proof air compressor and polymer pump for flammable liquids. They actually move fuel quickly. I don't know the proper name for these fuel syphons, TSC and Princess Auto has them too. 10 bucks each I think.

you're talking the jiggler pump https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/brass-jiggler-siphon/A-p2460065e

2460065.jpg

I found a water separator filter at Canuck Tire. I tried it out with water first and it actually worked and no water went through. I triple filtered most of the gas today. You could really see the milky water contaminated gas at the end. In 150 liters of gas I ended up with 15 liters of water/gas. I drove around to a few gas stations and an Esso gave me some of their water sensing paste. I tried it out on the filtered cans and two of the cans still showed some coloring on the stick so there is still some water in them. I will let them settle till we get back from Nipigon and then retest and syphon off the top gas layer. I guess I will put the salvaged gas into a boat can and take it with me along with some fresh gas in another boat can and see what happens. Thanks for all the tips.

no way I would be even playing around with contaminated gas....easpecially in my outboard when they cost many thousands of dollars and to be going way up there to hope it works.........just sayin I have been around boats for my whole life and have seen what it can do and seen lots of trips ruined because someone thought their gas from last year was good....gas today is pretty much crap anyways

Yup that's the one from Canuck Tire. It seems to work. Between every tank I filled it with water and nothing passed through. Near the end of each tank you could see the milky looking gas and I just poured that into a different can.

My father used to stretch an old nylon stocking over a funnel and pour the gas/water through it. The gas goes straight through and water runs off the top. Pretty simple and it seemed to work. Handy in the bush if you happen to be with a woman with pantyhose on...