Musky opener: how was it?

singingdog

4 of us were out on opening day. Action was good early in the day: buddy had a 40" 10 minutes after hitting the water. We had a couple of mid 30's, along with several follows, then, it shut right down. If a fish followed, it came in very neutral, not interested in the 8. We hit 3 different lakes. By the end of the day, we couldn't get a whiff. How did other folks do?

Plant growth here is at least 2 weeks behind other years, with virtually no green growth on the flats. Water temps low 60s.

skunked day one, landed a small one day 2. had one follow and one hooked one day one, but didnt land it. The follow was very slow and swam away quickly once figure 8. Day 2 in the rain was better, other than the rain lol.

Not sure about no green weeds, on Sturgeon there's green weeds on the flats up to 9 foot to the surface. The weeds are very thick on the main flat.

I went out solo saturday and boated 2/4, i saw about 7,8 but they were very lazy. The ones i did hit were a long cast away when they bit.

I would have said it was tough conditions so i was certainly happy to get the 2 i did. Lost a monster at the boat early morning but powered through to get something. First was a hair under 40" and second was mid thirties somewhere.

EE29E859-72AE-490B-BE9B-FC50D5FE0F26_zps

47A2B618-62CF-4211-8A66-CA1E1E14CE8E_zps

Sat out musky opener for the first time in close to 10 years, family obligations prevailed so it just wasn't in the cards. Spooling up the C3 as we speak and plan on hitting a few hot spots this evening. Life is good.

I went out solo saturday and boated 2/4, i saw about 7,8 but they were very lazy. The ones i did hit were a long cast away when they bit.

I would have said it was tough conditions so i was certainly happy to get the 2 i did. Lost a monster at the boat early morning but powered through to get something. First was a hair under 40" and second was mid thirties somewhere.

EE29E859-72AE-490B-BE9B-FC50D5FE0F26_zps

47A2B618-62CF-4211-8A66-CA1E1E14CE8E_zps

Sweet fish dude. Well done.

We moved 6 fish in the first few hours... all the follows were pretty aggressive and if it wasn't for a few boatside issues I won't talk about we would have got a few

We hit this one about 8 hours into the day

The other boat with us got a little one too but had no follows

Water was 62-63 degrees

E70D142F-72D1-45B3-A63E-5DD025CE1BBC.jpg

A friend and his wife fished Sturgeon Saturday afternoon caught a 40" er trolling the deeper water and had another hooked trolling but it came unhooked . They also caught one small one in the weeds and a couple follows . Nice time for a couple hours fishing .

I made it out yesterday and put in about 4 hours. Used almost every lure in the box including a bunch of different bucktails in all colours and saw no action.

Switched to a glide bait (Magic Maker - Holoform Darter) and I missed a big one boatside within minutes as she hit right beside the canoe. I was in the right position for a figure eight sadly. Made a few more casts (same lure) at the boat launch before I left and hooked a small one, probably 32 inches but it came unbuttoned after a couple of headshakes.

Don't forget to sharpen those hooks!

Edited by Fishing Fury

I made it out yesterday and put in about 4 hours. Used almost every lure in the box including a bunch of different bucktails in all colours and saw no action.

Switched to a glide bait (Magic Maker - Holoform Darter) and I missed a big one boatside within minutes as she hit right beside the canoe. I was in the right position for a figure eight sadly. Made a few more casts (same lure) at the boat launch before I left and hooked a small one, probably 32 inches but it came unbuttoned after a couple of headshakes.

Don't forget to sharpen those hooks!

Most of our fish and follows were on smaller glide baits: softtail phantom and glidin rap. They seemed most interested when we fished them very slow and steady: no jerks.