Sad times folks!

Rattletrap2

Yep, Aug. 2013 we bought a brand new F-150 Lariat that was to be our dream vehicle. We towed our trailer on two nice trips and they amounted to pretty much all of the 23, 843 km we had on the truck. It was never driven in winter and was immaculate. We were trying to keep it for our retirement and to pull the new boat I just got last month after 4 years without one.

Last Saturday morning I was on my way to see our Grandsons first Tball game and was rear ended by a Mack Dump truck on Highway 10! The guy was obviously distracted and didn't even attempt to stop. I was just coming to a stop behind another car at the red light.

The crash was like a bomb going off!

My whole world went black and I don't even recall slamming into the car in front. The impact ripped my seat out and broke the seat back. I don't recall climbing out, but the good thing is....I did.

I was in shock with a concussion and pretty sore all over.

Dump truck driver could not even be bothered to get out and see who he almost killed!

At the end of the day, Insurance has written off our truck which I cannot easily replace. I won't find what I had and I will be out $10,000.00 easily.

I know I am very fortunate to be alive and able to carry on, but the sadness is not going away. A lot of others have ended up way worse off than me. I know that.

I guess fishing is on hold until the dust settles from this mess. Things just don't always go as planned.

Take care and enjoy every minute!

That really stinks Brian but at least you weren't injured too badly.

It's the same year and model as mine and I remember very clearly the discussions we had about the 2 vehicles.

Sadly the insurance companies never want to fork out the cash that vehicles are actually worth.

Thanks Lew, You came to mind immediately! I know we sort of owned twins and I remember your Daughters accident with her car.

Mannitoubass2, he was charged with careless driving....but who knows if that will stick.

The truck really did it's job. Probably saved the couple in front of me in a small car as well. Our two daily drivers are small 13 and 14 year old cars. I can't imagine what would have happened if i was in one of them. Strangely enough, I was rear ended at the exact same intersection a couple of years ago traveling in the opposite direction in my old Toyota. Just not as big a hit, but still over $6,000 in damages. I think I better get the bullseye off my back spare tire! I have actually now been hit from behind 4 times!

Glad you are safe Brian

Glad you are ok. I believe I read some where that you may able to sue the other guy to make up the difference in what you lost to what the Insurance gave you.Can't remember where I read it though. Ask you insurer.

Go after the drive and company if so

Yep your truck def did its job.

When my mom got hit in her car it was a miracle she got out with just whiplash and a concussion. The car was a pancake

Some drivers are horrible, for whatever reason(s)

Last summer my friend and two of his girlfriend's were forced off the highway on a corner by a semi driving in the wrong lane. They had no choice but to drive off the road. Unfortunately they launched into a lake and the two girls died. He made it with a broken neck and back. No idea how crazy the adrenaline must have been because he swam back down three times trying to get the girls out of the car. When he couldn't, he made it back up to the highway to flag for help.

His neck/back are okay now but he developed some wicked PTSD and had to go to therapy since

He sued the driver but one year later roughly and it hasn't yet been resolved

Edited by manitoubass2

glad you're ok, that is all that matters now. I have a feeling this is a distracted driving incident. Driving to a quarry for a pick up. Seen it many times up that way. maybe they should check his phone records!!!

I had a close call Friday, no speed involved, just down the street I see car parked on the side of the road maybe 40 feet ahead of me, I was only doing about 20 as I had just turned left. Ten feet from him he decides to make a U turn, I got his attention and sure enough he was on the phone when he turned his head towards me!!!!!!

I see a ton of people on the phone every single day, I drive from Woody to Markham and back, I hear reports come in for York and they only catch few hundreds In a week or those blitz days!!!

I am so glad you are here to tell the story, the truck is just stuff we use while going through our lives, no big deal. I hope you didn't receive any injuries but I have to tell you anyone that just goes to the hospital now and is diagnosed with even a minor injury is more than able to claim up to $25,000.00 from the person at faults insurance company without suing in court. Any claim above 25 grand for personal injury, not including property damage, a lawsuit is required.Pal got into a fender bender in a private lot and got basically a cramp in the neck. The insurance settled for 23K, he was offered 15K within 6 months. I'm not saying this is right or it is wrong. I'm sure many take advantage and for some settling quickly may not be the right thing to do as many what seem to be acute injuries may come back latter as chronic injury. A concussion is a serious injury. Maybe not today but in the future just 1 concussion can be debilitating. When I played ball sometimes an injury didn't show until the next day even a week later. I remember a Dr. asking me when I fractured my Tibia 5 days after I thought I had a high ankle sprain.

I have attended too many funerals for relatives and friends where the collisions were far less than yours. Consider yourself blesses, who cares about a truck that is worthless in time.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Sorry to hear this Brian but you are alive that is the good thing. You should talk to your insurance company and show them it was in excellent shape with pictures and work tickets. Show them comparisons of the same vehicle for sale and get a quote from the ford dealer on what the true value is. They should be able to reach a fair price to replace it with a vehicle from the 2012 era with the same features. You will need to not sign off or cash the check they issued before you get a final answer that you accept.

Art

I have heard of situations where people go after the insurance company for more money successfully

Example... say similar trucks to yours (similar year and miles) are selling for average $25,000 used and they give you $15,000 go back and tell them to find you the same make... model... year... and similar condition truck at that $15k price point

Wait until you see what they offer...my son's low km 2014 car was rear ended two weeks ago and written off. We were thinking it was gonna be an argument too based on the condition and low miles on the car but their first offer was more than fair. He got an identical car, added the accessories that were missing and ended up $3k to the good! There was no bargaining or bickering involved. We were very surprised at how smoothly the whole thing went, it seems like they know the value of the vehicles too.

I'd be more concerned with the injuries which may crop up later...hopefully all goes well for you in that regard too.

Edited by G.mech

You pay insurance to insure the vehicle, and the dump truckers or company does to. Surely you can beat it out of both to get back what you need?

Anyways, read this and thought of my folks who not that long ago suffered similar. Except that it happened in the U.S. Alot of documentation, health bills and red tape but in the end they were compensated well beyond the cost of my father's motorcycle damages and mother's care.

Glad to hear you walked away from this. Still has to suck though. Get after those insurance companies.

Sadly the insurance companies never want to fork out the cash that vehicles are actually worth.

Go after the truck driver for the difference as well as a few shekels for your trouble, pain and suffering.

OH, and just so you know it will be the truck drivers insurance that will actually be paying for the loss of your truck.

Talk to your insurance people (this is when it's really handy to have a broker) that you want to replace what you had and not be out $$$ after this is all taken care of. What happens is your insurance company pays you out and gets reimbursed by the at fault drivers insurance.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

When we bought the new Silverado back in 2011 my broker told me for an extra 90 bucks a year I could get full replacement value for a new similar model with what options the truck has or for less I could get replacement value of what I paid all in when I drove it off the lot. I chose the first and it runs out this Fall. I hope I never have to take them up on it. Like Yogi Berra said about insurance, "When you need it ya don't got it when you got it ya don't need it". I would be on the phone to my broker or better yet Lawyer about compensation for injury ASAP. If I hadn't talked to a Lawyer about my fathers accident I wouldn't have known about this $25,000.00 settlement option without a law suit. I did some Googling and see that many have taken this route in Ontario for injuries incurred due to a collision. Some as minor as scrapes and sprains settling for $5000.00 to $10,000 bucks. They all have an actuary table for every injury no matter how minor.

Sorry to hear about your accident, as others have said, the truck can be replaced your health can not as I am still suffering from my accident 23 years ago.

Yes settle the truck portion of your claim but in the past you had up to 2 years to make a claim for personal injury so take your time to see how you feel.

FLEX

In my son's rear end collision, his insurance company and the at-fault driver's company agreed that the accident was 100% the other driver's fault. The assessment was done by my son's company and the deductible was waived but the settlement offer and payment came directly from the other driver's insurance company. My wife had a similar one a few years ago and it seems to me it went the same way. At that time, our broker explained that in most of these more common collisions, the companies have already made agreements as to how the fault will be split up and who pays what. Rear enders are 100% the fault of the following driver.

Thanks for the support guys! I think the fight might be on for today!

I have to see the dealer regarding replacement and I have to deal with Insurance regarding settlement.

As always, lots of good advice here!

My Family Doctor has told me to stay off work this week to deal with the concussion and other aches and pains from the accident.