Reminder -> Check your Trailer Tires

hutch4113

Got on the highway this morning, and pulled in behind a Toyota SUV, towing a Pontoon Boat. From the looks of it, the driver had just pulled it out of storage, to get ready for boating season. I am a little slow in the morning - at least until the Coffee kicks in - but for some reason the Trailer just did not look right to me (I am even wondering if it was sized correctly, but that is for another day).

As I am looking at it, realized that the back tire (this trailer had dual tires on both sides) was completely gone, and was running on the RIM.eek.png.

Pulled up beside the driver - and do you think I could get his attention?!. Laid on the horn, waved my arms, etc. Nothing........

Anyway, I was probably more likely to cause an Accident by staying, so went on my way (400 through Barrie - not ideal). At least he was not going fast - and I suppose he had 3 tires tongue.png, at least until the next one blows.

a month ago, I was driving on the 407, and out of nowhere the the traffic slows down. I'm thinking this shouldn't happen on the 407 at this time! turns out there was a boat flipped over laying in the fast lane. I think it came off the trailer. there was no tow vehicle or trailer to be found :dunno:

Edited by huzzsaba

It's called oblivious to your surroundings and events. Some drivers are just plain brain dead.

Yes, this ^

More and more of them all the time. Drives me crazy!!

S.

Philosophical thought: What if we are all becoming like that and only the person trying to get our attention knows about it? None of us would know because we'd be...um...oblivious.

I'm way to anal about my trailers and tires to be oblivious. I probably know whats going on with my trailer before they oblivious driver behind me does.

S.

Exactly!!! When I had a bearing issue this winter I knew it early and turned around to go back home.

Limped it home on the shoulder and had it repaired a couple of hours later.

It was nice of the people to let me know I had an issue with it as I was doing 10kph on the shoulder with my hazards on though. :blink::blink::blink:

a month ago, I was driving on the 407, and out of nowhere the the traffic slows down. I'm thinking this shouldn't happen on the 407 at this time! turns out there was a boat flipped over laying in the fast lane. I think it came off the trailer. there was no tow vehicle or trailer to be found :dunno:

Last week I had to swerve to avoid a bicycle that was laying in the middle lane of the 407.

And credit to the OP for moving on - one of the first things I do at the beginning of the season is top - off the tire pressure. I actually run mine at 60psi as this is recommended with sustained hyway speeds around 120 kph.

I am always anal about trailer tires and bearings as well. Every coffee stop (And they are frequent!) I am out feeling the hubs and tires. I keep them at 50 psi as rated on the sidewalls. Trailer tires just sitting tend to loose a bit of air between outings.

I always wondered about the warnings to re-torque wheel nuts every trip. Mine are steel wheels and always seem to be good. Our travel trailer has dual axles and if you have ever watched a dual axle trailer turn, it is incredible the flexing and side torque those wheels experience!! I would think aluminum rims are even more critical to check.

I always wondered about the warnings to re-torque wheel nuts every trip. Mine are steel wheels and always seem to be good. Our travel trailer has dual axles and if you have ever watched a dual axle trailer turn, it is incredible the flexing and side torque those wheels experience!! I would think aluminum rims are even more critical to check.

Aluminum rims are my nightmare, almost lost the left rear on my truck last year, after retorquing about 4 times the dam things still managed to loosen. Now I leave the wrench in the truck.

Last year I was having poutine at the truck south of Lindsay at the old strip club.

Hear this awful racket getting louder and louder. Here's buddy brand new 5th wheel new dodge truck and both tires on the rims. Finished off my lunch and follow the scrap marks on Hwy until he turned towards Bethany. Must have been hard of hearing.